Large Fondant Work

Decorating By Janie27 Updated 25 Jul 2017 , 4:21am by SandraSmiley

Janie27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janie27 Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 9:04am
post #1 of 17

Hi all

After some advice.

I'm making a 12" retro record player cake with lid. I've made the lid from fondant with added Tylo powder and its sitting on my upturned cake tin,  I was wondering how long I should leave it before turning it over so the under side can dry out..bareing in mind its 12" square and about 4mm thick??

Thanks in advance.. xx

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 17

idk depends on the humidty and the moisture in the fondant -- fwiw -- i made a record player lid out of gingerbread cookie dough then covered that with fondant -- so i didn't have to worry about it breaking  -- 12x12 is a massive surface to hold up there -- hope it works out well -- 

but if you have a couple days i would wait a couple days -- but it might be wrinkley on the bottom side -- and i use a warming drawer too to speed things up -- 

so a couple days per side at least

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 17

but 4mm is under 2/10ths of an inch? that's not very thick -- i'm hoping it doesn't break -- are you using it laying down or standing up?

for example when i make a larger plaque type thing out of fondant alone it's at least a quarter inch and i don't remember making one that large -- 

but none of that means you can't accomplish this -- 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 17

but 4mm is under 2/10ths of an inch? that's not very thick -- i'm hoping it doesn't break -- are you using it laying down or standing up?

for example when i make a larger plaque type thing out of fondant alone it's at least a quarter inch and i don't remember making one that large -- 

but none of that means you can't accomplish this -- 

Janie27 Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 17

Hi K8memphis

Thanks for your words of wisdom, I'm not a pro by any stretch and I'm self taught so all advice is hugely welcome.

Its going to be resting on the back of the cake so its partially open with supporting rods either side and a cheeky little thin board on the under side. I've no idea if its going to work but I've read some blogs where other people have done similar things so fingers n toes crossed.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 17

if it doesn't break in the meantime "cheeky little thin board" is gonna make it for you -- insert big fat grin smilie face here -- and if it does crack -- devise a pattern of some kind to camouflage it -- you got this -- would love to see a picture or hear some afterglow -- best to you

Janie27 Posted 15 Jul 2017 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 17

Thank you K8memphis..

Just made the vinyl record out of modelling chocolate surprised how easy that is to work with..#wipes brow

All being well I'll post a pic..delivery date 19/07/17.

Thanks again x

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 1:36am
post #8 of 17

you're very welcome blush

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 11:44am
post #9 of 17

Janie27 ,  Good choice, I made a graduation cap out of modeling chocolate.  So much easier than fondant for some things like that. 

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 1:44am
post #10 of 17

I can't wait to see the pics!

Janie27 Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 8:37am
post #11 of 17

Large Fondant Work

Janie27 Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 8:40am
post #12 of 17

It didn't go to plan I'm affraid.

We had 2 days of intense humidity and the lid started to crack and soften...so I went lidless insted.

Thankfully the customer was still over the moon with it!

Thanks for all your help k8memphis x

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 12:56am
post #13 of 17

it's awesome though -- cake decorator's always have plan b and plan c, etc.

like i said i covered gingerbread made with honey because it does not soften in humidity -- so if you want to go all edible you could try that if you ever need another lid -- i don't remember what i covered that with -- fondant maybe, or maybe buttercream but anyway the gingerbread held up in a tent at an outdoor event -- it wasn't super hot though

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 12:57am
post #14 of 17

and i love your work -- well done!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 1:09am
post #15 of 17

Your customer had every right to be impressed w/that :)

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 1:29am
post #16 of 17

Holy sheet cake! That is freaking awesome!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 4:21am
post #17 of 17

Super job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%