What Would You Give A New Cake Decorator?????

Decorating By shdvl Updated 2 Feb 2017 , 8:51pm by JustOneMoreCake

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 4:10am
post #1 of 12

I am sending my daughter a birthday package. Besides her present I sending some cake stuff so she can make her own cake. I want to know the tools you would give a new decorator. My daughter has little to no supplies but she has worked with me on cakes for years. I need to send a set of cake pans also but that's not what I am asking for help with. Those simple  tools that helps a lot.

11 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 5:44am
post #2 of 12

Some good quality piping tips and piping bags; metal ball modelling tools; a mixed lot of sugarcraft tools; a decent rolling pin; a fondant smoother; foam pads for modelling....  just thinking of the things I use most often.

Hope that helps!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 10:02am
post #3 of 12
i would send:
  • a turntable --
  • a block of foam with a pearl head pin in it to be kept out and handy to remove little specks, bust bubbles, unjam piping tips, correct mis-pipes etc. --
  • a sleeve of 16 oz deli containers and lids to mix colors and store 10,000 different things in or at least a half dozen plastic cereal bowls and extra spoons to mix colors with --
  • a couple large plastic rectangular containers with nice lids that could hold several batches of icing or filling or cookies or cupcakes in process and needing to be kept securely --
  • a timer 
  • cake circles, boxes, cupcake wrappers, paper lace doilies, parchment

what a sweet and thoughtful gift

-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 10:47am
post #4 of 12

i would also send:

• a large deep stainless steel bowl so she could make a double boiler out of it for meringue icings
  • several whips and several spoontulas, scrapers
  • several sets of measuring cups including the glass ones that can go up as high as 8 or 16 cups -- measuring spoons
  • a scale
  • a pretty shiny colorful kitchen aid stand mixer

but obviously these would be things to send over a period of time :)

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 11:29am
post #5 of 12

A turntable

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 12

I would also add to the initial gift one large and one small off-set spatula for spreading her fav icing, and a good instructional book.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 12

good long oven mitts

-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 12

:)

a gift certificate for an mri to get her head examined as to why she wants to be, or continue to be a cake decorator -- hahahahaha jk jk jk jk jk jk sorta hahahahahaha :)

just being silly

-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 12
  • sifter
  • racks
  • rimless cookie sheet for lifting torted layers
Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 12

I second and third the motion on a turntable.  A good turntable is an essential tool.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 12

Of yes! the turntable.  I did 99% of my work using only a small off-set spatula so include 2 of those:)  I am a book person......any and every book on decorating you can find on the market :)   Some of those OLD books have some wonderful idea that can be adapted to more modern looks if she is artistic at all.    As K8 said, cooling racks - especially one large one that will hold a 12x18 cake.  Usually that was big enough for me to turn out even my 16" rounds.  In fact I still hav e one and do little actual baking now :) 

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 2 Feb 2017 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 12

I find my torting tool invaluable for even layers. I just have the inexpensive one that's basically wire on a frame but I've had it for 10+ years and still works fine.  A metal bench scraper that can be heated for smoothing sides.  Parchment and cardboard rounds.  A kitchen scale. Roll of parchment paper. Second the deli containers but in quart size - perfect to put a pastry bag into and fill from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%