How Do I Achieve This Gold Color?

Decorating By Meshiloo Updated 30 Jan 2017 , 12:37am by gscout73

Meshiloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meshiloo Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 1:43am
post #1 of 11

First time posting so hoping the picture ends up ok.  I need to make these cakes in the picture. It's just buttercream, no fondant.  The client is very specific about the colors.  I have two questions:

1. How do I make the gold on the left cake??

2. Any ideas for best color combos to come close to that blue color?

thanks!!

10 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 2:15am
post #2 of 11

There is no photo on your post sorry.

Meshiloo Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 2:37am
post #3 of 11

[postimage id="6315" thumb="900"]

Meshiloo Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 2:39am
post #4 of 11

I don't know why it wasn't allowing me to add the picture...  But I just replied with it and I think it's visible... 

Siftandwisk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siftandwisk2 Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 6:14am
post #5 of 11

The photo is blurry so can't tell what technique was used on the gold.  But cake-geek has an article on gold techniques with lots nea to tutorials..  You have to read through the article to find the tutorial links.

http://cake-geek.com/index.php/metallic-gold-cakes/

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 7:38am
post #6 of 11

For the gold cake, I would take a piece of parchment paper, wrap it around the cake, measure down where I want the gold and cut the paper to size, and use a brush to paint it on. I can't really see the blue that well, but Wilton make a color called Delphinium blue that looks close. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 11

Looks airbrushed...at least the gold. Could be antique gold. The blue is ombre so either one colour thinned down or different colours starting with the lightest on top.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 11

As all the others said, the pix is blurry so we can't  really tell the color or technique used.   However :):

I think the gold does not really look all that gold.....and as someone else said probably airbrushed.  It almost looks like they used a watered down (light?)  brown over some yellow or gold.

I think the blue is tinted b'cream.  If one looks closely it gets lighter in each tier up from the bottom.  That could be accomplished by adding more white to the original tinted blue b'cream.

Phinson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phinson Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 4:55am
post #9 of 11

I made a similar blue by using Americolor royal and a little touch of black. 

meshiloo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meshiloo1 Posted 29 Jan 2017 , 4:15pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks all!  I had to make another account because cakecwbteal wasnt letting me log on for some reason...   

this is the only pic I was provided.  The customer said the blue color is not ombré, just one color (or at least that's how she wants it I guess).

I'll go to Michaels today to see what I can find for the gold... never used airbrushing on cakes and not sure how much it costs either.  But maybe there's a spray?  I'm so nervous I'll experiment and it'll come out bad and I'll have to defrost again...   this is also the first time I'll be making and using crusting buttercream.  I usually don't use shortening.  But I think I'll need it for this color...

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Jan 2017 , 12:37am
post #11 of 11

The blue center cake, I believe it is supposed to be hombre, there is a color change in the middle tier, and the top tier is definitely lighter than the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%