Stacking Advice

Decorating By BeeSweet09 Updated 12 Jul 2016 , 6:50pm by 640Cake

BeeSweet09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweet09 Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there

I desperately need some advice/help :-(... I'm hoping someone here may have some solutions for me.

I'm trying to figure out how to use alcohol bottles as cake separators between 2 tiers of cake.  The bottom cake being a 12inch and the top cake being a 10 inch.  What support structure could i use on the base cake to hold up the bottles and top tier?

Here is a picture of what i would like to accomplish:

[postimage id="4424" thumb="900"]

6 replies
cathicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathicake Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 7

That is an awesome looking cake!  Have you looked at Cakestackers.com?  They have very quality materials that will handle any cake you can think of.  Check out their pictures on Facebook too.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 7

I'd use 2 foam core circles (cut your own or order from www.cakethings.com).  I'd glue the base of the bottles to the bottom board, then the top of the bottles to the top board to make a separator.  You could actually use boards 1 inch smaller in diameter than the board the upper tier sits one so it wouldn't be very noticeable.  Dowel the bottom tier, set the separator in place then add the top tier....you might want to stack on site rather than travel with that set up.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 7

I usually use straws for support, but wood or plastic dowels would work as well - whatever your preference for support is would work here.  It looks to me as if they placed a cake board on top of the bottom cake, held up with supports under the cake board and then covered in fondant.  Bottles then placed on top of the (fondant covered) cake board.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 2:35am
post #5 of 7

Straws or dowels will work just fine.  I would use one under every other bottle or maybe even every 3rd one depending on how many bottles are used.  You really dont' need one under every one.  

BeeSweet09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweet09 Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

640Cake - I went with your advice, but instead used a fondant covered cake board on top after covering the base cake and just painted it silver (the bottom tier was also silver) to blend in.

Here's what the customer had to say:

"Thanks Beesweet Cakes for the 21st Birthday Cake, it looked absolutely beautiful and tasted amazing."

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 12 Jul 2016 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

MUCH easier for the customer that way, when it comes to serving!  Great job!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%