Customers Making Cake Order And Pricing The Cake

Business By SweetDesire88 Updated 15 Mar 2016 , 6:58pm by craftybanana2

SweetDesire88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDesire88 Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 1:02am
post #1 of 12

hello bakers and decorators. I am a little upset with some costumers. I've been getting a lot of  customers making cake orders and pricing the cake.  This has been the last message in my inbox " Can you make me a cake for 17." This is my face when I see this message

11 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 2:12am
post #2 of 12

They're not a customer unless they've put down a deposit. So until then just be polite. They might also just be trolls or other cakers. Don't let them tell you what to charge. Also is that a cake for 17 people or 17 dollars? If it's for $17, just say you have a minimum order of $$$ amount (and stick with that). I'm making my own cake for my little guy this year because I don't want to trouble my cake friend for a small order (less than $100).

But yeah, ugh. I've had this when a friend said he'd give me $20 if I would knit him a pair of socks cause he knows they're better than store bought. His mouth dropped when I told him that wouldn't even cover the cost of the yarn! His wife gave him the evil look before he could speak. Priceless!satisfied.png

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 11:37am
post #3 of 12

@craftybanana2 ‍ said it, they're not a customer until they pay you. Before that it's an inquiry, and you can say "no" to an inquiry.

esbcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esbcreations Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 12

if they want a cake for $17 tell them that for a few extra dollars they can get a cake at Wal-Mart!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 12

Idk, I have a feeling they may have meant 17 people.  You may want to double check that.  I frequently get emails from people looking for a cake for a specific # of people.  If you quoted correctly, there was no $ there....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 12

No only could it be a request for 17 people or $17 but it could also mean they want it on the 17th of the month.

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 12

thumbsup.png

Quote by @esbcreations on 5 hours ago

if they want a cake for $17 tell them that for a few extra dollars they can get a cake at Wal-Mart!

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 12

Make them be more clear on what they want. If they "demand" the price they want, you graciously decline and refer them to Walmart or your local grocery chain store. You can't "please" everyone all of the time. I've learned that the hard way.

SweetDesire88 Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 12

I always make sure I understand what the person wants and well she just wanted a 8" round single layer.  She has bought from me a few times, that's  why I call her my customer. 

I talked to her about it and told her that on holidays like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and so on. I do sell single layer cakes.

Pleasing is something that no cake decorator should do. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2016 , 12:05am
post #10 of 12

SweetDesire I think you misunderstood.  YES, a cake decorator should try to please customers but....you need to understand what they want and then tell/show them how you can help them (by coming close to what they want) if their rquest is not totally off.

SweetDesire88 Posted 15 Mar 2016 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 12

Sorry meant to say pleasing in lowering the price.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 15 Mar 2016 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 12

Yeah, do you walk into Walmart saying, "I've been coming here for 20 years, give me a discount!" They'd probably say "Thank you for shopping here, there's the door. Good bye." I've actually had people try to pull that when I worked retail (not there though). Never works and they would always come back regardless, ha ha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%