Korean Buttercream Recipe?

Decorating By HenrysHungry Updated 8 Jun 2018 , 4:00pm by Loyocakitchen

Lund-Canada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lund-Canada Posted 9 Dec 2016 , 10:54pm
post #241 of 349

Hi everyone

These are what I know about Korean Buttercream  :

1. Using Korean butter ( if you can find ) to get the pure white color (or translucent looking ) , if not, just use the butter that has the whitest color you can find in your country or town

2. Any Italian or Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipes can be used but to be sure that your butter must be COLD, not room temperature as usual, and your meringue also must be COLD, so......just chill them both before mixing together

yes, you will see water comes out, the mixture will be seperated but its normal, just keep mixing until the mixture just combine then stop, divide into small portion in bowl, then mix gel color you like  into the buttercream by hand with spatula . Doing this way will take more time and patience but this makes the buttercream glossy ( because the butter will slowly melt, will look shiny )

But if you dont mind about the glossy looking, just beat the buttercream+ gel color by hand mixer until smooth

3. In order to get fine looking flowers, you can use special Wilton piping tips that are produced in Korea.

or just simply use a tool to make the #104 pipping tip narrower, this way your flower petals will be thin and look more attractive

Hope these tips will help !

thanks for reading  :)

Joankim93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joankim93 Posted 11 Dec 2016 , 1:31pm
post #242 of 349

@Jymum My email is [email protected] and I would love your recipe as well! You should start a blog!! Thanks!

angelcosta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcosta Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 8:25pm
post #243 of 349

At this point, I'll accept any recipe @JYMum ‍ or @Whiskandfroth ‍ or @CuriousandCuriouser ‍ or anybody else.

I'm even willing to buy the recipe. 

angelcosta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcosta Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 8:28pm
post #244 of 349

Sorry, my email is [email protected]

CuriousandCuriouser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuriousandCuriouser Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 9:20pm
post #245 of 349

I will have the recipe posted on my etsy tonight if you would like to purchase, ill slowly be adding more pictures as well! www.etsy.com/shop/otherworldlybeauty  I also sell vegan and allegen alternative recipes and products.

Debkingstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debkingstore Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 2:20am
post #247 of 349

@JYMum ‍ I'd like a copy of your recipe as well if that's okay with you. I'm in Penang,so weather wise is going to be the same as you. I think your recipe will work with my weather. Thank you in advance. Email is [email protected] 

sirse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirse Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 3:15pm
post #248 of 349

‍  Can you share with me your glossy buttercream recipe as well? I've lost count of how many failed attempts I've make trying to create these korean buttercream roses. My email is [email protected]

Thank you so much!

QuyenQuyen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuyenQuyen Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 3:52pm
post #249 of 349

Haizzzz, I just feel funny!! 

The recipe is there, the instruction is clear, Lunda-Canada have a very good round up that cover all keynpoints, and you are still asking somebody to send it for free! Even you get the recipe, you still can not do it right, and still waste a lot of butter until it success, simply, you have to have your own experiment, from the speed, the cold, the time.. depends on your room temperature... pls work on that, share your experiences, dont send nonsense email to somebody that she even say it is not the right one!!! 

Loyocakitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loyocakitchen Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 4:33pm
post #250 of 349

Yes, you can start by a key like me at the first moment: Eveything is COLD

Then, your work will make your experiences, you can do it easy, better...and I see the detail method of Lund-Canada   and I think you can folow Lund's comment

This is my cake with IMBC

about the Korean Nozzle I think it is not necessary, I use Wilton 104, 102, 103 for this cake, A tip for you: You can use the pliers to purse your Nozzles

[postimage id="6001" thumb="900"]

Lund-Canada Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 8:21pm
post #251 of 349

As I said earlier, you can use any IMBC or SMBC recipes with the cold butter

So.....I tried the recipe from Little Flowers Company above ,with cold butter ( Canadian butter ) and IMBC method

and here is the result

[postimage id="6007" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="6008" thumb="900"]

the flowers looked glossier when they were at room temperature

and i used wilton#104 which was narrowed for piping

i also used wilton gel color but i had a hard time to get the right color for my buttercream because the canadian butter is not pure white as Korean's

Anyone knows the way to mix the color easier?

@Loyocakitchen ‍ Im very interested in learning how to make your yogurt buttercream. So....if you dont mind sharing some tips or recipe, I would be very appreciated. my email is [email protected]

thanks in advance

Loyocakitchen Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 3:56am
post #252 of 349

No way to make butter pure white like Korean buttercream, but you can lie your eyes by put a very little Purple into the butter, it can reduce the yellow.

To Lund-Canada, if you are not trouble, can I give you a tip? You can reduce your time when you mix buttercream in you machine , I think it will be stronger and thinner...Any way your buttercream is good now. Congratulations.

CuriousandCuriouser Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 5:08am
post #253 of 349

Actually I sell a Vegan Alternative Butter In my shop that is white. https://www.etsy.com/listing/498150065/vegan-butter-recipe-cultured-european?ref=shop_home_active_4[postimage id="6010" thumb="900"]

sirse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirse Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 6:15am
post #254 of 349

I am feeling funny too. 

We are all here to learn, to discover some sort of 'secret' buttercream that's too expensive to learn from the creator (maybe she's not i dont really care)

Those who happen to know a similar recipe, doesn't want to share it here in the comments (just copy n paste here). Some are even more hilarious figured the recipe here tapping on others resources for free and sell it in etsy? That is pretty unfair so us who are slower to gasp the idea. 

Well, I've been burning lots of butter trying this Korean buttercream so I thought I deserve to ask for a free recipe which someone is generous to share. 

Quote by @QuyenQuyen on 14 hours ago

Haizzzz, I just feel funny!! 

The recipe is there, the instruction is clear, Lunda-Canada have a very good round up that cover all keynpoints, and you are still asking somebody to send it for free! Even you get the recipe, you still can not do it right, and still waste a lot of butter until it success, simply, you have to have your own experiment, from the speed, the cold, the time.. depends on your room temperature... pls work on that, share your experiences, dont send nonsense email to somebody that she even say it is not the right one!!! 

[postimage id="6011" thumb="900"]

marian_studio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marian_studio Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 6:47am
post #255 of 349

Hi everyone! I feel like some of us are getting a little too crazy or selfish over this glossy buttercream recipe.

I have emailed a few people regarding the recipe, and I've received some and tried them out. One of those recipes was Kim's recipe from kimncake on Instagram and JYMum. Kim actually has a book called Korean Decorating Art. It's hard to get in some countries, and shipping is fairly expensive. I live in the USA and bought one myself, but dear, it was a lot of money!

https://www.instagram.com/kimncake/

I've realised there's nothing crazy about this recipe at all. It's a simple and ordinary Swiss or Italian Meringue Buttercream you can google. I would not use regular icing/frosting (icing sugar + butter) or cream cheese frosting. However, I do prefer IMBC - as well as Koreans - because it is more stable than SMBC because the sugar is heated at a higher temperature.

The recipes I received did say cold meringue + cold butter, but this is not good and wrong! It takes so long to whip the butter and meringue together, that the meringue actually melts and the butter is still solid. It literally ends up to be a BUTTER that's CREAMED. 

Here's what makes the buttercream glossy - being over-used and 'melted.' I remember practicing my flower piping skills and I would re-use the buttercream to the point where it wasn't fluffy anymore and became warm to pipe. As the buttercream gets warmer, it does get glossy and as I over-used it, it got transparent as well. I recall still refrigerating my BC and the consistency stayed like this, but more stable as it was at the right temp to pipe.

Of course, most of us who are desparate for this glossy buttercream, won't want to go through the trouble of over-piping and over-using it. So, what I would do is to leave it out, let it warm, and semi-melt. You can try to put it over a ban-marie/double boiler for a little to speed this process.

After going through all this trouble of trying to figure this out myself, I realised I wasn't big on the glossy BC consistency/look. I actually prefer the good ol' regular opaque IMBC, but that's just me :) 

I hope that clears the air for all of you!

Also, I do film tutorials on YouTube and I plan to do some buttercream flowers next month~ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkh0emjp05I71cZJ_Or525w

QuyenQuyen Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 6:52am
post #256 of 349

@sirse ‍ 

we are all here for the same reason, the recipe is there, and free! People tried it and some of them works! You tried and failed, we are all same, the people paid money to learn, it is hand-on training, the teacher will show them in very details, when you need to speed up, which degree of cold the butter should be, at what tempurature the sirup shoud reach before add to the eggwhite.. they paid thousand usd for all those tips, so of course it can not be disclosed. The recipe posted here is far more than good, if you try and fail, you could share how it fails, and the people who already success can share with you how it works! I think it is the purpose of the forum

Now, you see the threads, most of that are email address to ask for recipe (I was one of that), but the owner of the recipe already said in one of her responses that it is not the one we are looking for, so why still ask for that?

again, the recipe is here,already here and free! If you dont work yourself, you will never know how to do it. See some of the claims that people paid money but claims it doesn't work, I dont think the recipe is wrong, the problem is that you dont do it right!

Loyocakitchen Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 11:40am
post #257 of 349

Quote by @QuyenQuyen on 4 hours ago

@sirse ‍ 

we are all here for the same reason, the recipe is there, and free! People tried it and some of them works! You tried and failed, we are all same, the people paid money to learn, it is hand-on training, the teacher will show them in very details, when you need to speed up, which degree of cold the butter should be, at what tempurature the sirup shoud reach before add to the eggwhite.. they paid thousand usd for all those tips, so of course it can not be disclosed. The recipe posted here is far more than good, if you try and fail, you could share how it fails, and the people who already success can share with you how it works! I think it is the purpose of the forum

Now, you see the threads, most of that are email address to ask for recipe (I was one of that), but the owner of the recipe already said in one of her responses that it is not the one we are looking for, so why still ask for that?

again, the recipe is here,already here and free! If you dont work yourself, you will never know how to do it. See some of the claims that people paid money but claims it doesn't work, I dont think the recipe is wrong, the problem is that you dont do it right!

I agree with you Quyen Quyen...

Your work will give you experience...

And me, from the very start, I have no money to attend any Glossy Buttercream ( Korean Buttercream ), I followed this thread from May and hoped someone can give me a tip, but there was nobody...and then, I realized that I need to pay for what I need, I decided to go to a class with stronger Butter ( My teacher said that she doesn't teach the Korean Buttercream recipe, just a very strong Buttercream with fee for course was 150USD ), and after class I like all of you, know the Butter need to be cold, yes...that's all I was known...

I spent 2 months with my own Yogurt Buttercream ( from 9th July to 16th September ), from the first day, it was not transparent...Just thin and strong...and tasty...yeah...I was haunted by this recipe every night and final In 16th Sep...the first Yogurt Buttercream's flowers success...all I need...

And then I know, in any recipe, your Buttercream can transparent, Glossy, Thinner...I tried Yougurt + Butter, IMBC, Butter and Milk, Butter and Coconut Cream, or just butter + sugar...All recipes are Ok if you do in right way

I said  that the recipe is not necessary, you can use any recipe you want in the right way, and Cold is one of the reasons but not Enough...Why I said it is not enough? Because it depend on your work, your experience and maybe... your lucky...But just with "Cold", you have a big Key to go continue.

And ... If you need to know clearly and fast, not waste Butter, you can pay Money to Study, If you have no money like me, you can go slow like me, I needed 2 months with a lot of fails...^^

This is my Yogurt Buttercream cake[postimage id="6021" thumb="900"]

Lund-Canada Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 5:17pm
post #258 of 349

Hi marian_studio, would you mind sharing Kim's recipe and JYMum's recipe please ?

my email is [email protected]

I would like to try and learn as well

thanks in advance !

@Loyocakitchen : may I ask what kind of yogurt do you use for your yogurt buttercream ?

in Canada, we have so many kinds, Greek yogurt ( very thick and creamy ), drinkable yogurt ( very liquidy ) , 0% fat yogurt..........ect....

which one I should try first ? and which method do you use ? COLD is the key too ??

Lund-Canada Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 10:12pm
post #259 of 349

I found this video on YouTube 

its in korean language 

i don't understand korean but i can guess she was making buttercream with IMBC method

her ingredients were:( im guessing)

140g egg white

50g water

175g sugar

450g korean butter 

if anyone could understand korean, please translate or correct me if i got it wrong

I hope you all find this video helpful 

if not, I apologize!

QuyenQuyen Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 3:27am
post #260 of 349

@marian_studio

Melted butter looks glossy, it is more than true, but it seems that you stll not yet success with Korean recipe, if you success you will understand why the flowers in Kim's book looks so georgous, besides the techniques of piping, the consistency of butter is very stable, and it allows to use narrow nozzle to have such a thin petal, which it is hard yo work with trafitional IMBC/SMBC, as the butter will immediately melted once it is out from the nozzle, especially with the hot weather! The stability of the butter also allows you to leave the cake longer at the room temprature, which is good for big events, it also absorbs the colour much better, that you can see why the colours they have is so natural..

We are not crazy for it (can not afford to buy such a expensive book), but we are all cake addict, and we searched the recipe just for our passion. 

QuyenQuyen Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 3:33am
post #261 of 349

@lund-canada it is just the normal recipe i guess, from the texture of the butter, it seems not the transparent! Your flowers looks so beautiful, you used cold butter? How long does it takes from the point seperating of water/butter until it mixed?

thank you

marian_studio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marian_studio Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 3:38am
post #262 of 349

Actually, I have succeeded with Korean Buttercream. I have just taken a different technique with it because I don't prefer the cold + cold. Every baker finds their own techniques while experimenting with others' and I have found my way of getting that glossy, translucent look.

Also, everyone seems to think there is more to this recipe and there's nothing else besides butter, water, egg whites, and sugar. It's just the "cold to cold" method that's different. 

Each to their own...

Quote by @QuyenQuyen on 7 minutes ago

@marian_studio

Melted butter looks glossy, it is more than true, but it seems that you stll not yet success with Korean recipe, if you success you will understand why the flowers in Kim's book looks so georgous, besides the techniques of piping, the consistency of butter is very stable, and it allows to use narrow nozzle to have such a thin petal, which it is hard yo work with trafitional IMBC/SMBC, as the butter will immediately melted once it is out from the nozzle, especially with the hot weather! The stability of the butter also allows you to leave the cake longer at the room temprature, which is good for big events, it also absorbs the colour much better, that you can see why the colours they have is so natural..

We are not crazy for it (can not afford to buy such a expensive book), but we are all cake addict, and we searched the recipe just for our passion. 

QuyenQuyen Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 3:42am
post #263 of 349

@Loycakitchen: thank you :)

Lund-Canada Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 5:49am
post #264 of 349

@QuyenQuyen: i didnt pay attention to the time, but just until I no longer see any water left in the mixing bowl 

then I stopped, took small portion out to mix with colour by hand with a spatula ( lots of work for this part)

i mixed by hand until the butter softened and looked shiny then I piped flowers

did i do it right?

Shamna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamna Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 6:09pm
post #265 of 349

I have to agree  to a lot of the comments here...the answer is already in the forum but no one wants to spend time experimenting or finding out why the recipe didn't turn out the way it was supposed to.... they immediately diss the recipe...

People, please take the time to understand that most of the people who already Dre sharing tips on here have most probably paid a huge amount taking classes....the fact that they still share is a great thing in itself... I personally have a recipe on etsy for sale which has nothing to do with IMBC or SMBC and was something I has come up with on my own before having the chance to take a g.g cake class.... 

I love both the recipes but I prefer my own on most occasions as it doesn't have the added mess of making a meringue....

I hope more people will try out the techniques posted in the group and update their results....

Sugarpetal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarpetal Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 9:13pm
post #266 of 349

@Marian_Studio

You mentioned you got the Korean Decorating Art book. Is it good? Wanted to get your opinion on it before I went ahead and got it.

lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 9:33pm
post #267 of 349

I  just found three pages from that book you are mentioning.  One of the pages shows the recipe using white bean paste.  Which i would not try because i m sure that my customers wouldnt like even if they are beautiful. Here is what i found. 

http://decor.best-veg.com/korean-decorating-art-book-kim-cake/

QuyenQuyen Posted 18 Dec 2016 , 4:16am
post #268 of 349

@lund-canada

As mentioned by loycakitchen in the previous post, slowdown, loooonger time and be very patient! ;)

Lund-Canada Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 1:08am
post #269 of 349

@QuyenQuyen: does it mean that i should let the mixer beat in slow speed for a long time instead of beating on high speed for a short time?

may you teach me how you make your buttercream please?

QuyenQuyen Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 2:38am
post #270 of 349

Lund-Canada

you get the keypoint! ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%