What Is The Difference Between Satin Ice Fondant And Wilton?

Decorating By krissy_kze Updated 3 Jan 2013 , 11:33pm by paintspecer

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 8:34pm
post #31 of 52

I don't really have too much time to write, but I couldn't ignore this post.
Basically Wilton's fondant tastes like crap! I've never tasted crap, but I'm got a funny feeling it taste just like Wilton's fondant. I don't know how a company that's been around as long as it has, can market such a product and expect people to actually ingest it!

Hope my extra 2¢ helps ya! icon_wink.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 9:19pm
post #32 of 52

Debbie...did you box your Kirby cake before you put it in the refrigerator??? Just wondering if you had a problem even when the cake was boxed. Thanks!
traci

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 9:22pm
post #33 of 52

I was just at a cake supply store in Houston on Saturday and they said the fondant in the large packages is different from the small packages. I think it's the small ones that taste worse now. Anyway, they're changing them to make them all the same, and they're changing them all to the YUCKIER one! Can you believe it?

I also just tasted the Satin Ice that I bought last week. It was pretty yummy and easy to work with.

Ali

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 10:51pm
post #34 of 52

traci ~ no, the Kirby cake wasn't boxed. That's probably why the condensation was a problem.

Debbie

traci Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 2:07am
post #35 of 52

Thanks Debbie! I will probably do a small practice cake to see how it does in the refrigerator!
traci icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 4:50pm
post #36 of 52

What store was this? Make-a-Cake?

Thanks,
Sherri

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimonkey

I was just at a cake supply store in Houston on Saturday and they said the fondant in the large packages is different from the small packages. I think it's the small ones that taste worse now. Anyway, they're changing them to make them all the same, and they're changing them all to the YUCKIER one! Can you believe it?

I also just tasted the Satin Ice that I bought last week. It was pretty yummy and easy to work with.

Ali

traci Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:30pm
post #37 of 52

Hi Cakepro...I am also from Houston. Make a Cake is locared in Southwest Houston off of Evergreen. It is kind of hard to find, but they have everything. I shop there every few months because I live on the other side of town...However, it is definitely worth going there.
traci icon_smile.gif

What part of Houston do you live?

Cakepro Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:37pm
post #38 of 52

Hi Traci ~

I'm a Make-a-Cake regular. icon_smile.gif I was just wondering what cake supply shop Ali was talking about.

I live on the southside, Clear Lake/Friendswood area. Whereabouts do you live?

~ Sherri

traci Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:59pm
post #39 of 52

I am in the Northwest side. I am not sure what store she is talking about. Do you ever buy fondant from Make-a-Cake??? Do they carry Satin Ice fondant???
traci

alimonkey Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 6:08pm
post #40 of 52

Yup - I was at Make-a-Cake. What a great store! I'm not sure if they have Satin Ice there. I bought it here in Austin, but they have everything else, so I'm sure they do. I try to go there every time I'm in Houston, but a lot of times I get there late on Saturday afternoon and leave early Tuesday morning so I completely miss it since they're closed on Sunday & Monday.

I also went into the Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugar Land for the first time last weekend. For a tiny store, they had an amazing selection, ESPECIALLY fondant & gumpaste molds. The molds covered one wall all the way to the back of the store, and another wall halfway. I couldn't believe how many they had. Their regular stuff was a little pricey, though. I was looking for high ratio shortening. They had it for $12.99 for 3#, and I got it at Make-a-Cake for $7.99.

My mom lives in Sugar Land, so both stores are pretty convenient for me.

Cakepro Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 7:43pm
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci

I am just not comfortable leaving my cakes out...it is too hot and humid here in Houston!!! Thanks for any advice!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

I went back to look for the Satin Foods web addy and read your post that I missed earlier.

Even though we live in Houston, the air conditioners we run 24/7 remove the heat and humidity from our homes.

I have a humidistat on my a/c system so I can set the humidity level in our home (I keep it under 40%). My house is crisp, cool, and relatively dry. I have no problems with royal icing, gingerbread houses, gumpaste, pastillage, fondant, or any other sugar-based medium except for those few weeks each year when it's too cool for the a/c and too warm for the heater. I never place cakes in the fridge because of condensation issues when the decorated cakes warm to room temperature. You don't have any condensation problems with your cakes?

Anyhoo, I called Satin Ice and there are two retailers in our area: Amazing Cake Supply, 713-665-8899, located at 6057 Bissonnet, Houston, 77081 (right around the corner from Make-A-Cake). They have it in all sizes, with the best price being 20# for $58.79.

The second place is called Swiss Chalet Fine Foods. Their number is 713-868-9505. Their web addy is www.scff.com. They are a warehouse, not a retail store, but we can pick orders up at the warehouse. The fondant is marketed under their name but Satin Foods makes it. I haven't visited their website yet, but I did try to ask a nice but clueless girl about the premade fondant on the phone, and she could not grasp that fondant is not gumpaste and visa versa, so I couldn't get any info out of her. She is sending me a catalog and price list, though.

I think I'm going to head over to Make-A-Cake and Amazing Cake Supply tomorrow.

Hope that helps!
~ Sherri

traci Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 7:02pm
post #42 of 52

Thanks Sherri! I have only had a condensation problem with fondant. On my buttercream and even cakes that I print edible images...I have not had a problem.

I actally called Make-A-Cake today and asked about Satin Ice fondant. The next time I go over there I will make sur I stop by that other store.

Have you ever had a problem with fillings in your fondant cakes??? That is one thing I would worry about...that the filling might spoil if it was not put in the icebox.

Thanks again for all the helpful info!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 7:14pm
post #43 of 52

TamiAZ

Quote:
Quote:

I use Satin Ice exclusively and refridgerate all my cakes with no problems.. Laughing I don't like leaving my cakes sitting out and I prefer them to be chilled when I deliver. I've never had a problem with condensation... Thumbs Up!

Just to note, TamiAZ lives in Phoenix, Arizona, where I also was raised and grew up. The air there is extra dry, so I'm sure condensation would not be an issue. I moved to San Diego for graduate school and I've found that Wilton fondant or MMF will pick up the moisture after being in the refrigerator and kind of turn soggy. HTH

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 7:35pm
post #44 of 52

WOW! I got lots of info, about fondant.
My Wilton course 3 will start from next Monday and I have to buy fondant for that.
I wish will start my first wedding cake with Satin Ice Fondant.

I am living in North Carolina so anybody knows the right cake shop that I can buy my stuff for cake?

Thanks again,
Nitu

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 7:42pm
post #45 of 52

Hi traci & Cakepro...

Thanks for the info. on the cake supply stores in Houston....I live in Sugar Land so those stores are a hop, skip, and a jump away from me!! icon_smile.gif In fact, alimonkey and I were supposed to meet last time she was in town but I had a migraine so I wasn't able to! icon_redface.gif

Cakepro Posted 16 Oct 2005 , 3:53am
post #46 of 52

Wow, so many of us in/around Houston! icon_biggrin.gif

I picked up a 20 lb bucket of Satin Ice from Amazin' Cake Supply on Friday and covered a small 6" cake with it...it was a dream to work with! And it actually tasted good...very vanilla-y. It's nothing at all like crappy Wilton fondant. I took the cake to a bridal consultation Friday night and she chose a fondant cake. icon_biggrin.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:40pm
post #48 of 52

Alicia,

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, the cost of shipping is very high.

Today I called Satin Fine Foods (makers of Satin Ice fondant) to confirm that the product being sold as "Royal Satin Rolling Fondant" by Swiss Chalet Fine Foods is indeed Satin Ice fondant. It is, and the price is excellent: $89 for a 40 pound case (two 20 lb pails). No shipping, handling, etc., just the gas for me to drive to go get it.

If any Houstonians are interested in buying this, you can call 713-868-9505 and order product number 90449, the Royal Satin Rolling Fondant. I will never, ever make my own fondant again, and I am converting people who were fondant haters into fondant lovers. Woot!

alimonkey Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:53pm
post #49 of 52

Cakepro - what part of town is that in? I'm in Austin but visit Houston frequently and would like to pick some up. At that price why make it yourself?

Cakepro Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 3:19pm
post #50 of 52

Duh, I forgot that important piece of information!

Swiss Chalet Fine Foods
7200 Wynnpark
Houston, TX 77008

It's right off of 610 and 290, so if you take 290 into town, it's right on your way!
Map

Satin Ice fondant: 40 pounds with tax = $96.34. Price per pound = $2.41

alimonkey Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 7:14pm
post #51 of 52

Thanks! I take 71 to I-10 cuz my family's SW but I will certainly run by there the next time I'm there during the week.

paintspecer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintspecer Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 11:33pm
post #52 of 52

A[quote name="krissy_kze" url="/t/8232/what-is-the-difference-between-satin-ice-fondant-and-wilton#post_73757"]Just curious. Is it cheaper? Taste better? Easier to work with?

Thanks for the info!

-Krissy

Krissy, There are about three good fondants on the market: Satin Ice, Pettinice, Fondex, and Wilton's. Consistency and taste is the big difference. In my experience and professional opinion, Pettinice is the best tasting but softest along with being more wet allowing better work time as fondant quickly dries out. With that being said, it is delicate and will damage if one is not well experienced. Satin Ice is a great fondant also but not quite as wet and taste is ok. It is probably the best all around fondant and the package colors are great! Fondex is the most expensive and harder to find. Wilton has the worst consistency meaning super dry and rubbery with horrible taste!!! It is VERY hard to work with and does not maintain smoothness. Fondant is my speciality and I recently used it and it was horrible!!!! Russell

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%