Wasc With Oil?

Baking By Luna85moon Updated 8 May 2015 , 3:04am by kakeladi

Luna85moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luna85moon Posted 6 May 2015 , 8:47am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I love the WASC recipe I’ve been using it for a long time but I have a question has anyone made this cake using vegetable oil instead of sour cream? Does it have the same consistency and flavor? Is it moist too? I’m just trying not to use animal products, I know it has eggs too :( but taking out the cream is a start And one more question, can I leave out any of the sugar to make it a little less sweet? and if I do should I substitute it with more water or something else? Because I’ve heard that the sugar helps it to be moist,
Thank you :)

3 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 May 2015 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 4

You can do whatever you'd like to do.  Experiment with your recipe.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 May 2015 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 4

I will take a shot at answering this.  Sour cream is an almost totally different thing than vegetable oil.  It is a dairy product with a certain percentage of milk fat unless it is fat free.  Full fat sour cream is about 18% fat.  I an not a chemist but I am pretty sure vegetable oil is about 100% fat.   You can often get away with substituting butter for oil and vice versa without disastrous results.  You can also often substitute one oil for another.  For example I almost always use olive oil or canola oil in place of vegetable oil.  In a pinch I have replaced the oil called for with melted shortening.  But unless you want to experiment and don't mind the waste, I would stick with the sour cream.

As far as the sugar goes your best bet is to experiment by reducing sugar  called for by 1/4 cup at a time for the whole recipe, 1/8 cup for half the recipe.   I suspect you won't be happy with the results if you reduce the sugar by more than 1/2 cup for the whole recipe.

So if you are up for experimenting do one change or the other, one at a time. If you are happy with the results again half the recipe  and reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup of sugar.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2015 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

..........wanting to sub oil for sour cream..............

NO!  As another poster said, there are completely different. 

......using less sugar.....

This is a yes.  Again as the other poster said, reduce it by 1/4 cup and see how it turns out.  I'm rather sure I have in the past.  Reduce by a total of 1/2 cup ... maybe but you will have to try that to see what change it does to the overall end product.  Do not sub more water - again two totally different things :(    You might want to try adding a several tablespoons of  thick applesauce OR prune puree.   (And NO you should not be able to taste it unless you use much more than the 2 T.)

Sour cream is an almost totally different thing than vegetable oil
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/815370/wasc-with-oil#OorA1UztLQssVcEc.99

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%