Freezing

Baking By cherrybombs Updated 2 May 2015 , 3:29am by 810whitechoc

cherrybombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrybombs Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 11:55am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone think it's acceptable to freeze cakes. I've started doing craft fairs and weekend markets. I did my first one last Saturday. But it was so much work making and icing cupcakes as well as brownies and also a full time job. So I was thinking of taking the weight off by doing a bit during the week and freezing them until needed. I feel like I'm cheating the customer by doing this as they are not then fresh. 

8 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 9

The most successful bakers/cake artists on the planet freeze cake.  Go for it!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 9

I bake and freeze iced cupcakes and iced brownies often.   I defrost them in their original packaging and they taste just as good as the day they were made.

I also freeze cakes and cupcakes without icing.  Cakes that have been frozen for a few hours are actually easier to frost.

Just make sure the packaging is air-tight. Usually I would only freeze for up to two weeks although for my own use I have frozen for up to 2 weeks.  

cherrybombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrybombs Posted 1 May 2015 , 5:17am
post #4 of 9

The problem I've had before is as they start to defrost. They become sticky and the casing starts to peel off. 

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 May 2015 , 6:18am
post #5 of 9

Always freeze my Mud Cakes - it helps them *set* in my opinion.

I just take them out of the freezer the night before i require them - place them on counter - still wrapped as when i out them in freezer - and voila, in the morning they are ready and perfect for torting and ganaching :)

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 May 2015 , 8:48am
post #6 of 9

Sorry, my post should have been, "...but for my own use I freeze for up to 1 month".

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 May 2015 , 12:06am
post #7 of 9

It's not "cheating" anyone.  It's practical and proper freezing preserves freshness.

If you want to mitigate sweating, store the products in a cardboard box, not touching the box, and keep them boxed until they come to room temp.  The condensation will go to the box, not the product.

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 2 May 2015 , 3:23am
post #8 of 9

I always freeze my cakes before decorating them.  It makes them easier to work with and I honestly think a cake has a better texture and taste after it has been frozen.  Could all be in my head as I also think pizza tastes better when it is cut into triangles instead of squares.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 2 May 2015 , 3:29am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @Happyfood on 4 minutes ago

I always freeze my cakes before decorating them.  It makes them easier to work with and I honestly think a cake has a better texture and taste after it has been frozen.  Could all be in my head as I also think pizza tastes better when it is cut into triangles instead of squares.

Pizza is infinitely better when cut into triangles instead of squares :-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%