Unhapy Customer

Business By Renee6431 Updated 22 Apr 2015 , 8:51pm by MKC

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 1:00am
post #31 of 50

Yikes...I went to look up "ivory" as a color and there are definitely pink hues of it. But check out the photo of the model about 23 rows down, who did that makeup!?!?! https://www.google.com/search?q=ivory&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2_0yVZLhAeTIsAT064G4CA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=622#tbm=isch&q=ivory+color&revid=1828852417

costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 1:05am
post #32 of 50

Don't know if this posted so if it did I apologize for the duplication...I went to look up ivory as a color and there are definitely pinky versions of it, which could be why the food coloring made that hue. But more importantly, look at the makeup on the model on row 26 of these photos. Who said "that's a good look for her, let's go with that?" https://www.google.com/search?q=ivory&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2_0yVZLhAeTIsAT064G4CA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=622#tbm=isch&q=ivory+color&revid=1828852417

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:22am
post #33 of 50

BTW...I LIKE the "pinky" hues in ivory/ beige--- hence the argument with DH about our flip houses as I previously posted.  So not only do we need to worry about the color, we need to worry about the hues of that color and which bride likes/ doesn't like it.

Love that "dead" look bride costumeczar AND the ridiculous number of "ivory" swatches....lol

rachelliz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelliz1 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 6:09am
post #34 of 50

I think it's incredibly sad that some people don't understand how much thought, time & skill goes into making a cake.. And in some cases complain about somthing that isn't a reason To complain. I wish you had taken a photo so you had more evidence.   

I agree ivory has many tones. From Pink to light coffee. 

Maybe this is something we need to add to our consultations with customers. So they are aware. I only ever use shop brought product - Renshaw. 

Even this way ppl will see the different tones within the ivory.

Cake makers & decorators appear to have to protect themselves more and more.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 6:58am
post #35 of 50

Colors are incredibly subjective. It really doesn't sound good that the baker saw pink and let it go, but there really should have been a color swatch to ensure a good color match.  The bride is entitled to something back but not a full refund. 

Oh and @costumeczar the makeup on that one bride is PERFECT - for a zombie wedding!

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 7:17am
post #36 of 50

I always ask for a color swatch. I then proceed to say (and it's in my contract) that it IS food that we work with and that we can't always guarantee an exact match.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 11:04am
post #37 of 50

I wonder why no one has yet said that in order to have an actual opinion on whether the cake is pink or not that we need a photo. It also seems odd to me that anyone would make a 'beautiful' cake and not take a photo of it. Personally I would love to see a photo of it, surely the bride/family would be happy to send you a photo of the cake that you can post here for everyone to see. If the colour is wrong then the bride deserves as much of a refund as if she ordered her dress in white but got black but if it is indeed ivory of any shade (And neither of you confirmed the actual shade of ivory that was to be used) then the bride is partly at fault too. A photo would be great. Thanks.

costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 11:58am
post #38 of 50

Quote by @Jedi Knight on 4 hours ago

I always ask for a color swatch. I then proceed to say (and it's in my contract) that it IS food that we work with and that we can't always guarantee an exact match.

I do too, and I have a section of my contract that says something about color as well. Both "ivory" and "coral" are the two colors that I triple check because people have really different ideas about what those are. I love it when the bride and I are sitting at the appointment discussing whether the blue is a baby blue, a tiffany blue, or a delphinium. The groom's eyes glaze over and they look really confused because to them blue is blue, for God's sake. It's only women who get our knickers in a twist about it.

costumeczar Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 12:00pm
post #39 of 50

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 54 minutes ago

I wonder why no one has yet said that in order to have an actual opinion on whether the cake is pink or not that we need a photo. It also seems odd to me that anyone would make a 'beautiful' cake and not take a photo of it. Personally I would love to see a photo of it, surely the bride/family would be happy to send you a photo of the cake that you can post here for everyone to see. If the colour is wrong then the bride deserves as much of a refund as if she ordered her dress in white but got black but if it is indeed ivory of any shade (And neither of you confirmed the actual shade of ivory that was to be used) then the bride is partly at fault too. A photo would be great. Thanks.

I wouldn't trust a photo either, depending on the light the color in the photo could make the ivory look blue or green!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 12:29pm
post #40 of 50

in 40 years of doing cakes i've never thought of ivory being pinkish -- beiges and light browns yes those can be pinkish -- i also never say i can match the candlelight/champagne/ivory/ecru color due to the lighting and it being food -- most all other colors i can match -- except metallic car colors --

but if i was making ivory fondant and it turned pinkish i would definitely figure out how/why it turned pink before i let the cake loose on 100 people -- i would also tone the pink out because those off white shades are just that off white not off pink -- we all know that --

maybe someone got some pink transfer in the ivory color with the old toothpick in the food color jar thing and that right there is suspect -- wonder what else might have transferred -- or maybe it's something else but you have to determine that before you let a cake out -- maybe it's a new bottle of ivory that came with a pinkish hue ok well carry on then -- but you gotta figure that out -- 

if it's just food color then ok proceed to remove it or be prepared  to refund -- if the bride already got one disappointment do you really think she's gonna go along with another one? besides all that you could attempt to make the ribbon blue -- maybe try spraying it -- backing it with a blue ribbon -- weaving a blue ribbon into the burlap -- the details of this cake don't seem too important 

rachelliz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelliz1 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 1:29pm
post #41 of 50

From what you have said the wedding is past by now so the cake has been Consumed? 

I'd contact the bride and ask how it tasted and if they can send you a photo of the cake as someone earlier suggested 

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:29pm
post #42 of 50

Quote by @rachelliz1 on 51 minutes ago

From what you have said the wedding is past by now so the cake has been Consumed? 

I'd contact the bride and ask how it tasted and if they can send you a photo of the cake as someone earlier suggested

One thing is for sure... I really hope we hear the outcome of this thing after we've all invested so much interest! This certainly is an unfortunate scenario.  I do hope the report is that the cake was super yummy! 

Hey, costumeczar  - that Ivory bride looks like The Bride of Frankenbeige! Haha!

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 4:08pm
post #43 of 50

Chiming in with my two cents.  Only you can decide what is fair for a refund as it is your business and your professional reputation.  However, as a professional cake designer, you promised an ivory cake with blue burlap.  You produced a pink cake with regular burlap.  Please take this in the spirit it is given, I am not trying to be harsh or mean.  It seems you were not prepared for this cake because blue burlap is readily available over the internet and if your fondant came out the wrong color you should have started with a new batch not went ahead with a color you admit was wrong. I, of course, am assuming you waited too long to purchase your burlap and color your fondant.  As professionals, we should not be contacting the bride days before the wedding because we can't find an item like blue burlap.

Brides pay a lot of money to have a professional cake designer so they have the cake they want for their special day without worry.  I'm sure it was a beautiful looking and tasting cake but it was not what she ordered nor what you promised.  

Sorry that this happened and you have to deal with it but I guess we just use these as learning experiences.  Personally, I don't believe in telling a bride you'll take her cake for a refund when you clearly did not produce what was a greed upon.  I think you handled it well in telling her you would make it right when you got back.  

Again, sorry if I sound harsh, just trying to help :)

AvaDoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AvaDoodles Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 4:26pm
post #44 of 50

Mixing colors creates different hues, exposure to light  does as well, not infectious hazardous  contaminates like different shades of meat.  I am sure the cake is ok to be consumed unless there is something very strange we don't know about.

I totally agree with the discount for the added cost for fondant because although the appearance is the so important, cost also occurs from the ingredients and time put into that and if the cake will still be feeding the guests, she deserves compensation.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 11:34pm
post #45 of 50

I found that the Wilton ivory gel color does have a bit of a pinkish hue to it so next time it would be better if you added just a toothpick point of brown instead.  And next time you need to get everything in writing - aka email.  That's where you went wrong with the blue burlap - if she had responded in email that the regular burlap was ok then she would only have the pinkish hue to complain about.  And during he cake consultation I always note the what if's - "what if I can't find blue burlap" what if it rains - then where will the ceremony take place and what time, what if it's over 83 degrees, do you agree that I can cover the cake in fondant................things like this..................all in writing through email.  An the last thing you forgot to do is to take a photo.............a HUGE no-no.  That way you have proof that the cake wasn't moved and proof if brought to claims court that it wasn't at all that pink, ...................just a nervous bride over reacting.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 4:26am
post #46 of 50

Pink vs Ivory.  

This sounds a bit too similar to a certain Dress in the world-wide media 2 months ago - was it 'Blue & Black' or 'White & Gold'.  

I definitely saw White & Gold.  Would have bet my life on it.  But I'd be dead right now if I did.

Perhaps pink and ivory are in the eyes of the beholder too.  

Grace-fulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grace-fulCakes Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 6:10pm
post #47 of 50

If this were to be taken to Judge Judy she would say, "You ate the steak, you gotta pay for the steak."  A service was provided, so the client should have to pay something for it.  The client was unhappy with the product, but the business (Renee6431) should still be compensated for their time.  I'm not getting into all the little details of whether it was right or wrong of her to send it out being off hue or what may or may not have caused it.  I think a discount for the mistake would be the best idea at this point.  There's not much else that can be done after the fact.

aneal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aneal Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 7:02pm
post #48 of 50

First and foremost the guest did eat the cake.  The compensation would be if I decided to give a refund would be for what I paid for the blue burlap ribbon and the minor mishap in color.  Which would equate to nothing.  If you have the confirmation email which shows your client agreed with the alternative for the blue burlap ribbon then it should be forwarded to the client along with your decision regarding whatever refund you choose to give the client. 

There is no need to go back and forth with this client.  The client does not deserve a full refund. 

Thanks

aneal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aneal Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 7:02pm
post #49 of 50

First and foremost the guest did eat the cake.  The compensation would be if I decided to give a refund would be for what I paid for the blue burlap ribbon and the minor mishap in color.  Which would equate to nothing.  If you have the confirmation email which shows your client agreed with the alternative for the blue burlap ribbon then it should be forwarded to the client along with your decision regarding whatever refund you choose to give the client. 

There is no need to go back and forth with this client.  The client does not deserve a full refund. 

Thanks

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 8:51pm
post #50 of 50

I also have a section in my contract about colours. They may not be exact as food colouring will change with time and lighting.

I also show my clients the ribbon I will use and if I can't find it or it's not to their taste, they have to provide it. I try to get the ribbon at the beginning so it leaves the client time if in the end they have to provide it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%