Glossy Icing

Baking By AimeeA Updated 22 Jul 2005 , 3:25am by crouton800

AimeeA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AimeeA Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 3:47am
post #1 of 19

I have been admiring the glossy flowers on both your logo and the cover of the book "The Whimsical Bakehouse". Does anyone know what the recipe for that is? Is that the no crust buttercream?

Thanks a lot in advance. icon_biggrin.gif
Aimee A

18 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:24am
post #2 of 19

Glossy could be BC w/ piping gel added to it. I know that makes a good glossy icing. I haven't seen the picture your talking about.

AimeeA Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you I will give that a try.

Aimee A

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 19

i'm not sure about the flower on the logo but the flowers on the cake on the whimsical bake house are made with the house buttercream recipe in the book. i haven't tried it yet but i plan to. if you do - let me know how it turns out!

Debbie

AimeeA Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 19

Well it was killing me so I called the Rivier Bakehouse in New York to find out which BC icing was used to make the beautiful piping on the front cover of the Whimsical Bakehouse.......And according to the sweet lady on the phone it is Kaye's BC recipe. So I am going home tonight to try it out.

If anyone has not seen this book Kaye and Liv Hansen do wonderful works of ART!

AimeeA

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 19

That's good to know. The book actually said House Buttercream in it.

Debbie

AimeeA Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 19

There are at least 2 different BC House and Kaye's. I am going to start with Kaye's and see what it gets me.

Thanks for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 19

Hi guysicon_smile.gif this is my first post so I better introduce myself! My name is Jane and I just joined today.. icon_smile.gif

anyhow, about the whimsical Bakehouse buttercream Recipe. I had trouble with both of those recipes as the consistency of the buttercreasm turned out too softicon_sad.gif. I transported a cake to my Inlaws and the sides collapsed on me. I have made those recipes more than once and I still had problems!

I would be interested on how you guys find that icing because maybe I am doing something wrong!

AimeeA Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 19

I am actually a little concerned about that as well since I live in Baton Rouge and the humidity can be a factor. I will let you know how it goes.

Aimee A

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 19

Hey AimeeA,

I just realized you were from LA!!! SO AM I!! Now I have a LA buddy!! I'm in Bossier City. I have had lots of problems w/ humidity. I do my BC the same way everytime & sometimes it comes out too soft. I made 2 batches yesterday so I could help a friend w/ the roses well it was way too hard!!!! I added the same amount of ingredients everytime... Go figure. I think it is the humidity~
Good Luck w/ the cake!! ~Tina~

marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 19

Aimee,

I'm from the Baton Rouge area too--Prairieville. The only problems I have had with the humidity is when I tried to do roses. They just melted together into blobs. I had to make my icing extra extra stiff and ended up with ruffly roses. But they were pretty anyway. I've seen your work. It's great!!

Rox-

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 19

Welcome, Jane--and AimeeA: How nice that they shared that information with you! icon_smile.gif

AimeeA Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 19

I told my husband this weekend that I have become addicted to this site. I have conversed with a people in Italy, Alaska, and Germany. As well as all from the good ol state of LA. I am hoping to meet some of you at the ICES convention in July. When it comes time we will have to set a place in time to meet.

Happy Baking

AimeeA

AimeeA Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 19

Well I tried the recipe and it is glossy like I wanted it to be. I am not sure though it if it is the recipe or the colors that I was using, but I did not get the strength of color that I had hoped. I will try it again it is a lite not to sweet icing.

Aimee A

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 19

Aimee, Did you find it on the soft side?

AimeeA Posted 15 Mar 2005 , 9:35pm
post #16 of 19

Yes, it is very soft. I do not think that I would be able to make roses out of it. Someone with more roses under their belt I am sure could.

Aimee A

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 30 Mar 2005 , 1:04pm
post #17 of 19

Nope, soft frosting doesnt make good roses....I know.... I am a flub at roses right now, and have to change my recipe so my frosting is more stiff. icon_cry.gif

suzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie Posted 4 Apr 2005 , 3:03pm
post #18 of 19

Hi ,
I tried the house buttercream icing too. Same problem as others. Mine was too soft. i called the balehouse and they said to keep adding more sugar till it thickened up. i did not have much luck. I hope someone else did though.

I did try the cookies and cream filling and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 3:25am
post #19 of 19

Hi!
I'm a newbie!

Saw that you guys are talking about WBH buttercreams. I tried both the House and Kaye's italian meringue buttercream. I don't quite like the House due to the shortening - i'm a butter person. But I love the italian meringue buttercream. For me, it's slightly on the soft side but still ok to do roses. Of course, with warm hands, you gotta work quickly. But for other simpler flowers and borders, it works very well and smooth not to mention tastes great! I think you'd have to make sure that the egg white and sugar mass is as cool as possible and to have the butter chilled, as in the receipe. Because if the egg white/sugar mass is still a bit warm and the butter only slightly chilled or room temp, then i think the buttercream will come out very soft. I'd put it in the fridge and check on it by stirring it with a palette knife and see whether the consistency is to your liking. It will definitely firm up in the fridge.
I've kept this for over a week in the fridge. It looks broken at first but take it out and let it soften at room temp. Beat or just hand stir - if small amount and it's ready for piping. Anyway, that's my experience with Kaye's buttercream. Hope that helps.

Btw, also tried coloring this and man, does it take in a lot of colouring. I found that candy colours works well and wilton pastes somehow separate?? Did anyone also experience this with wilton pastes?

thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%