Luau Cake Design

Decorating By fcakes Updated 12 Aug 2014 , 8:31am by KellyKSD

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 11 Aug 2014 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 5

I was browsing for luau themed cakes and found this sweet design, but was wondering if anyone had tips on making the hibiscus cutout flowers? 

I've read some people use Cricut, but I don't have that... do you think a heart-shaped cutter would work well? Any ideas? Thanks!!

4 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 12:55am
post #2 of 5

AThe flowers look big so I doubt there's a cutter the size you want. You could print out hibiscus petal shapes from online, cut them out of the paper, lay them on your fondant and just trace the outline with a knife. That's probably what I would do. Love the design, aloha!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 2:06am
post #3 of 5

They must have cut each petal out - study the tops of a few of them, some dip down and some point upward.  I think I would use a large tulip cutter then slit them as shown in the photo.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 2:59am
post #4 of 5

My 1st impression was to use a heart cutter but as others suggested the tops of the petals are different.  So printing out patterns is probably your best bet.

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 12 Aug 2014 , 8:31am
post #5 of 5

I agree -- print out your designs and cut the fondant out around it. I would love to do the Cricut thing but I just don't make enough cakes right now that require it to make the investment, so when I need to do something like this, that's what I do. These are larger cutouts, so it shouldn't be too difficult -- just make sure you have a good sharp knife or other cutting tool so your edges are clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%