24 Hrs. To Prepare A Wedding Cake - What Can I Do In Advance?

Decorating By MsDOTS Updated 28 May 2014 , 9:52pm by cakebaby2

MsDOTS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsDOTS Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am so excited to be making my second wedding cake for an old friend of my mother's!!  The cake itself is pretty straightforward: a traditional white 3-tier cake with colored fondant ribbons and bows and some fondant/gumpaste lettering on the ribbons.  The bride wants me to use a dummy for the the 6" top tier. Haven't quite decided whether or not to fondant cover the cakes… I'm still a little hit-or-miss and I want this cake to be perfect!

Anyway, here's the catch…  She needs the cake by Friday night in mid-June and I'm going to be away on a family camping trip through Thursday!  I can make and freeze the cakes the week before and I can also make the fondant/gumpaste bows. What else can I reasonably prepare ahead of time so that I'm not a complete basket case on Thursday night and Friday morning?

I'd appreciate any advice from more seasoned bakers!

Thanks!

4 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 5

Thanks to the angels of CC you can make tort, fill and ice and decorate the whole cake and freeze the whole thing. In fact your timescale of 24hrs is perfect. Just type freezing decorated cakes into the search engine and prepare to be amazed!

I tried it and it works a dream just follow the intructions to the letter.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakebaby2 

Thanks to the angels of CC you can make tort, fill and ice and decorate the whole cake and freeze the whole thing. In fact your timescale of 24hrs is perfect. Just type freezing decorated cakes into the search engine and prepare to be amazed!

I tried it and it works a dream just follow the intructions to the letter.

I agree wholeheartedly!!!   :-D

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 5

Since it's such a straightforward, plain cake as the others have said, you can do 'everything' ahead of time and freeze it.

Don't forget to prepare the cake board, all the decorations (bows etc) and have everything ready when you get home.  Then, all you have to do is remove the cake from the fzr as soon as you do get home.  It can go straight from fzr to counter to thaw overnight.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 28 May 2014 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 5

I so wish I could do that with my daughters cake but I don't have a big enough freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%