AnnieCahill Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 12:44pm
post #61 of 110

Strong PMS in this thread!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:07pm
post #62 of 110

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

If you can't see the sarcasm in someone saying that you should charge $20 for a three tiered cake

That's not really the issue...it's when the "joke" amount is close to what OP thinks might be a reasonable price. The thread I'm thinking about involved a relatively basic sheet cake that was priced at $35, not a three tiered cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:10pm
post #63 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

That's not really the issue...it's when the "joke" amount is close to what OP thinks might be a reasonable price. The thread I'm thinking about involved a relatively basic sheet cake that was priced at $35, not a three tiered cake.

i remember that

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:25pm
post #64 of 110

Quote:

I wasn't referring to a thread, I was referring to the fact that if someone thinks that $20 is a reasonable price for a three tiered cake then they're pretty dense.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:40pm
post #65 of 110

AA few years ago, I was a moderator on a very large baby forum. There was a group of ladies who thought it was funny to be snarky and post things that weren't true, like how they gave their babies benadryl to make them sleep better/through the night, or putting a tablespoon of booze in the bottle to help with teething, etc. They said it snarkily, but didn't realize how many people there would take it seriously. People with high functioning autism/aspergers take things literally a lot of the time and when posting in a public forum, you have to account for the fact that some of these "dense" people are really super intelligent, but process things literally sometimes.

I had to delete those threads and was the "bad guy" for playing "mommy" to a bunch of adult women (who were acting like children).

So, If you want to be snarky about pricing, maybe make it obvious you weren't being serious with some sort of follow up or disclaimer.

But that's just my opinion.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:48pm
post #66 of 110

A

I wasn't referring to a thread, I was referring to the fact that if someone thinks that $20 is a reasonable price for a three tiered cake then they're pretty dense.

I'm not sure why you keep referring to a three tiered cake...a $20 joke amount is obvious when referencing a large multi-tiered cake, not so much for a basic cake.

If the cake in question would normally be priced under $100, I propose a new joke amount of $2.50.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 4:51pm
post #67 of 110

ABaby forums are the worst. Without a doubt.

costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 5:44pm
post #68 of 110

Quote:

I'm not sure why you keep referring to a three tiered cake...a $20 joke amount is obvious when referencing a large multi-tiered cake, not so much for a basic cake.

If the cake in question would normally be priced under $100, I propose a new joke amount of $2.50.

Oh my God, Jason. I made up the three tiered cake part. Relax.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 6:28pm
post #69 of 110

Is that the cake Jason sold for $2.29?

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 6:50pm
post #70 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

A few years ago, I was a moderator on a very large baby forum. There was a group of ladies who thought it was funny to be snarky and post things that weren't true, like how they gave their babies benadryl to make them sleep better/through the night, or putting a tablespoon of booze in the bottle to help with teething, etc. They said it snarkily, but didn't realize how many people there would take it seriously. People with high functioning autism/aspergers take things literally a lot of the time and when posting in a public forum, you have to account for the fact that some of these "dense" people are really super intelligent, but process things literally sometimes.

I had to delete those threads and was the "bad guy" for playing "mommy" to a bunch of adult women (who were acting like children).

So, If you want to be snarky about pricing, maybe make it obvious you weren't being serious with some sort of follow up or disclaimer.

Yes but this is cake not life and death...big difference.

If someone is going to come on to a forum and take the first answer as solid gold then they have no business learning to begin with. Not to mention I'm surprised

they made it this far not being taken advantage of by being so trusting of anyone. The OP I have seen on here many many times. Usually she is the one who politely answers the really dumb questions or the ones that some people go off on. She usually tells them in a polite way where the link for pricing is.

She is not a bully.

Her point is that if you are asking for an opinion about a cake then learn to take it whatever that may be. Tactfully if possible. Which again I have never seen her be untactful.

For example there is a critique club of cakes. Some individuals get offended at the critiques. They posted them for the advice and then get ticked

when its not all great advice. In their minds they think "Wow this came out awesome for what I had envisioned for my first cake" Then they want a critique that

says how amazing the cake is with no issues. That is not someone who should have posted a cake.

If you ask for an opinion expect the truth, learn from the truth, and grow.

BrandisBaked Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 6:58pm
post #71 of 110

AFor clarity, I wasn't directing that at the OP, but to anyone who gives snarky responses instead of real ones.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:08pm
post #72 of 110

A

I made up the three tiered cake part.

Exactly, it's a straw man. You can't refute argument A by poking holes in argument B if A != B.

And pointing out logical fallacies is how I relax. :detective:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:16pm
post #73 of 110

Quote:

Exactly, it's a straw man. You can't refute argument A by poking holes in argument B if A != B.

And pointing out logical fallacies is how I relax.
detective.gif

you will never ever need xanax, my friend  :lol: 

my brother is like this too--points out logical* fallacies -- 

*illogical to him anyway 

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:17pm
post #74 of 110

Quote:

And pointing out logical fallacies is how I relax.
detective.gif

Wow...you must have been a fun date!

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:23pm
post #75 of 110

A

Original message sent by carmijok

Wow...you must have been a fun date!

I suppose it's a good thing my wife enjoys having logical and rational discussions.

Most of the time anyway. ;)

By the way, that's an [I]ad hominem[/I]. :detective:

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:38pm
post #76 of 110

Quote:

I suppose it's a good thing my wife enjoys having logical and rational discussions.

Most of the time anyway. icon_wink.gif

By the way, that's an ad hominem.
detective.gif

And this apparently will go on 'ad nauseum' ! ;)

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:38pm
post #77 of 110

ALMAO @ carmijok!

BrandisBaked Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:40pm
post #78 of 110

AI always need someone to define words for me when they are more than four letters. So helpful.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:49pm
post #79 of 110

A

Original message sent by carmijok

And this apparently will go on 'ad nauseum' ! ;)

Unfortunately ad nauseum requires both parties to tire of the discussion. :D

Well played though.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 8:05pm
post #80 of 110

Just checked CC for the first time today and can't believe I've missed so much in the day I've been away! I agree with y'all - just sayin':cool:

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 8:13pm
post #81 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

A few years ago, I was a moderator on a very large baby forum. There was a group of ladies who thought it was funny to be snarky and post things that weren't true, like how they gave their babies benadryl to make them sleep better/through the night, or putting a tablespoon of booze in the bottle to help with teething, etc. They said it snarkily, but didn't realize how many people there would take it seriously. People with high functioning autism/aspergers take things literally a lot of the time and when posting in a public forum, you have to account for the fact that some of these "dense" people are really super intelligent, but process things literally sometimes.

Cafemom?

costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 8:55pm
post #82 of 110

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

And pointing out logical fallacies is how I relax. :detective:

I wasn't arguing anything, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. My point was that when someone comes on here and asks for a price, is told $20 in jest, and takes that as true, they get what they get. You just like to argue when nothing is being argued, I get that.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:04pm
post #83 of 110

A

I wasn't arguing anything, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. My point was that when someone comes on here and asks for a price, is told $20 in jest, and takes that as true, they get what they get. You just like to argue when nothing is being argued, I get that.

Your point is that someone is pretty dense if they think $20 is a reasonable price for a three tier cake and they take a post suggesting $20 seriously. I agree with this (although "dense" is a strong word).

My point is that someone does not have to be dense to think $20 is a reasonable price for a basic cake that was originally priced at $35. Hopefully this clarifies why the $20 "joke" can be misunderstood by a relatively reasonable person in some cases.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:37pm
post #84 of 110

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Your point is that someone is pretty dense if they think $20 is a reasonable price for a three tier cake and they take a post suggesting $20 seriously. I agree with this (although "dense" is a strong word).

My point is that someone does not have to be dense to think $20 is a reasonable price for a basic cake that was originally priced at $35. Hopefully this clarifies why the $20 "joke" can be misunderstood by a relatively reasonable person in some cases.

I think dense is a very gentle, no cake-ball-having way to say "dumber than a bag of hammers". Because you would be AT least stupider than a box of rocks, to take that as good advice, and you need to put your bib back on, and get out from in front of the computer and get back in your padded room if you think someone is serious when they say a 3 tier cake should cost $20.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:40pm
post #85 of 110

Amen Anna!

Dumber than a bag of rocks is exactly how we say it down south!

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:44pm
post #86 of 110

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I think dense is a very gentle, no cake-ball-having way to say "dumber than a bag of hammers".

Perhaps I've spent too much time in the corporate world, but I would instead say that this individual has a significant knowledge gap in terms of pricing strategy and could benefit from further development in information assimilation skills.

costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:44pm
post #87 of 110

A

Original message sent by Rosie93095

Amen Anna! Dumber than a bag of rocks is exactly how we say it down south!

Haha! That's what I thought when I read "bag of hammers." Should be rocks. Both are dense, though.

costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:49pm
post #88 of 110

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Perhaps I've spent too much time in the corporate world, but I would instead say that this individual has a significant knowledge gap in terms of pricing strategy and could benefit from further development in information assimilation skills.

Translated, that means dumber than a bag of rocks. My husband had a list of banker phrases translated into normal language and it was things like "he is not aware of the details of the situation" = "he has his head up his butt."

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 9:53pm
post #89 of 110

A

Translated, that means dumber than a bag of rocks. My husband had a list of banker phrases translated into normal language and it was things like "he is not aware of the details of the situation" = "he has his head up his butt."

The advantage to obfuscation is that you can tell someone they are dumber than a bag of rocks without insulting them...once you insult someone they are far less receptive to suggestions on how to improve themselves.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:10pm
post #90 of 110

Quote:

The advantage to obfuscation is that you can tell someone they are dumber than a bag of rocks without insulting them...once you insult someone they are far less receptive to suggestions on how to improve themselves.

Oh yes, people respond so much better when discombobulated! They totally don't get that you're being an ass, if you use words with more than 4 letters!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%