Criticism

Lounge By DeliciousDesserts Updated 23 Oct 2013 , 2:24am by SystemMod1

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:29pm
post #31 of 110

I also am a Fine Delicate Flower of Femininity, even when I am armed……however

What is frivolous are the Jerry Springer style  Soap Opera dramas that are supposed to be genuine but are just crap fiction stories imo.

They are designed to create discussion and  TO CREATE DISSENTION.  That is intentional on the internet I think.  Stir up a Sh_t  storm and keep up interest in the forum.

For example: “I just made my first cake and sold it for $3.00 worth of sea shells and the client flew it to Russia then their dog pooped on the top tier, and it all fell into their Cockatoo cage and knocked off the decorations.   Help!  Do I made them another one at the last minute or just give them a discount?   Should I write into my contracts “No Pooping on my Cakes”?

How do you give constructive criticism to  such BS.

But I have such a greedy thirst for genuine invaluable baking/decorating/design training that I grit my teeth and sort through it looking for the diamonds & pearls of knowledge.  And so many of you are in possession of great amounts of jewels.

Strangely, even some of the most ridiculous faux threads have resulted in some pretty solid tidbits of genuine brilliance.  So I'll keep reading and screening.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:34pm
post #32 of 110

Well, I find Godot hilarious. We're in The Lounge, so am I allowed to say that here?

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:35pm
post #33 of 110

ASo true

MimiFix Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:36pm
post #34 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

“I just made my first cake and sold it for $3.00 worth of sea shells and the client flew it to Russia then their dog pooped on the top tier, and it all fell into their Cockatoo cage and knocked off the decorations.   Help!  Do I made them another one at the last minute or just give them a discount?   Should I write into my contracts “No Pooping on my Cakes”?

MB is runner up for the title of Ms Hilarious.

MBalaska Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:42pm
post #35 of 110

no seriously Mimi......this really happened.  :lol:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:46pm
post #36 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Well, I find Godot hilarious. We're in The Lounge, so am I allowed to say that here?

i often do too--one time somebody was blowing hard about copyrights and how she was gonna do a mickey mouse cake anyhow and put it online and godot said something to the effect  'you go right ahead and do that, my dear...and where is your web site' spider to the fly type of thing---

the hilarious part is that op took it as godot showing her up and implying that op wasn't as good as everyone else because op didn't have a web page--

looses a little in the translation i guess you'd have to be there -- but it was priceless

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 7:59pm
post #37 of 110

AI remember that tread K8. It was pretty funny.

MBalaska Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 9:55pm
post #38 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I'm a delicate little flower.  I take any and all criticism to heart.

DeliciousDesserts:  I know better than to criticize my betters in their craft.

Constructive:

Useful.  Carefully considered and meant to be helpful

Criticism:

Assessment of creative work. Considered judgment of or discussion about the qualities of something, especially a creative work.

Considered:

Reflect on something

Judge something

Weigh possibilities before deciding

Examine in detail and discuss problem

Take something into account

Look carefully at something with concentration.

Respect somebody or something

Or just disregard.

[ I’m often in the ‘be a chucklehead’ camp that’s obvious. ]

DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 10:34pm
post #39 of 110

AJust to be clear, although I'm ultra sensitive, I welcome criticism. I need it in order to grow!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 11:18pm
post #40 of 110

AOh wait LOL....is that the definition of me?! Cause if so it's very accurate. Just in my head.

In my head, I rip even the best to shreds over every tiny flaw.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 12:27am
post #41 of 110

Quote:

Just to be clear, although I'm ultra sensitive, I welcome criticism. I need it in order to grow!

Quote:

Oh wait LOL....is that the definition of me?! Cause if so it's very accurate. Just in my head.

In my head, I rip even the best to shreds over every tiny flaw.

you can detect every tiny  flaw already but you welcome others to point them out because it helps you grow?

i think i'm being critical of this line of thinking ;)

stop beating yourself up 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 12:57am
post #42 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

There's "tough love" and there's complete sarcasm. 

It doesn't help anyone when your response is to tell someone they overcharged and should have sold their 3 tier cake for $20.  If you want to be helpful but also be honest then do that.  But if the pricing threads irritate you so much that all you can do is write a smart-a$& remark then IMO you either shouldn't be responding at all or you should be banned for purposely doing it.

Be that as it may, the other side of that is that some people have politely posted lots of good information only to have it shot down by folks who are completely wrong about what they're saying.  Wrong or not, after enough people decide something is right, it then becomes "common knowledge".  And trying to argue against common knowledge you know to be incorrect is a really frustrating up hill battle.

If you think about it, since there are many more people on this board who are not truly professionals, there is a real possibility there are going to more people guessing and stating opinions than people answering who really know the answers.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:02am
post #43 of 110

AI just think that people get in their feelings way too much on here. Half of us don't even really know each other, although some do. At the end of the day none of it is that serious. Some of the arguing I see is unreal.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:24am
post #44 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I just think that people get in their feelings way too much on here. Half of us don't even really know each other, although some do. At the end of the day none of it is that serious. Some of the arguing I see is unreal.

I agree.  Maybe in this era of social media and texting, forums like this are substituting for real life relationships.  If these discussions were taking place in person, you know that most of the harsh comments would not be made face to face - it would be too uncomfortable.  But behind a keyboard, insults can fly.

Liz

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:25am
post #45 of 110

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Be that as it may, the other side of that is that some people have politely posted lots of good information only to have it shot down by folks who are completely wrong about what they're saying.  Wrong or not, after enough people decide something is right, it then becomes "common knowledge".  And trying to argue against common knowledge you know to be incorrect is a really frustrating up hill battle.

If you think about it, since there are many more people on this board who are not truly professionals, there is a real possibility there are going to more people guessing and stating opinions than people answering who really know the answers.

I see this a lot...........good to know other people do too.

MimiFix Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 1:27am
post #46 of 110

For anyone who missed these gems:

Originally Posted by howsweet   

...some people have politely posted lots of good information only to have it shot down by folks who are completely wrong about what they're saying.  Wrong or not, after enough people decide something is right, it then becomes "common knowledge".  And trying to argue against common knowledge you know to be incorrect is a really frustrating up hill battle.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:20am
post #47 of 110

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I have plenty of experience with this, luckily I enjoy the uphill battle. :-D

DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:23am
post #48 of 110

APot, meet kettle.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:29am
post #49 of 110

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

Pot, meet kettle.

In reference to...?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:33am
post #50 of 110

APeople offering advice as though they have first hand knowledge when really the expertise lies in another area.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:36am
post #51 of 110

A

People offering advice as though they have first hand knowledge when really the expertise lies in another area.

If you are suggesting that I offer advice in fields that I am not knowledgeable in, I would welcome some examples of such. A PM would be fine if you don't want to clutter the thread.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:44am
post #52 of 110

A

People offering advice as though they have first hand knowledge when really the expertise lies in another area.

What?!? People do that here? :eek:

Stitches Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:45am
post #53 of 110

I'd like to see those posts too, please post in thread. I don't understand why some people think it's o.k. to be mean spirited to others because they disagree with them.

jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:51am
post #54 of 110

A

Original message sent by Stitches

I'd like to see those posts too, please post in thread. I don't understand why some people think it's o.k. to be mean spirited to others because they disagree with them.

This surprises me too...people often read too much into what others have written and/or take things personally when there is no reason to.

I can understand saying "pot, meet kettle" when someone is making an accusation they are themselves guilty of, but here it doesn't really make sense, unless I unknowingly accused someone of something upthread.

Back when the bully squad was around they would often accuse me of being mean, attacking others, etc. "all the time", but they never seemed to provide any proof to back up their claims.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 2:57am
post #55 of 110

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

..people often read too much into what others have written and/or take things personally when there is no reason to.

Stitches Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:10am
post #56 of 110

Huh.........are you accusing him of reading too much into your direct comment to him? that doesn't make sense.........

DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:13am
post #57 of 110

AJason & I have ha a private conversation and he is fully aware of my exact meaning. Although it sounded snarky, there was no mean spirit in my motive.

I will also reiterate that I have great appreciation and respect for Jason's business knowledge. He is not someone I would ask how to pleat fondant but he's the forst I would call about profit margins.

I also shared with him that I think many newcomers get the impression that he is a cake artist/baker with a successful business. I can only count 2 instances where we disagreed and I reminded him it was because I was right and he was wrong.

I now return you to what was truly a brilliant and informative thread. I sincerely apologize for the sidetrack but not to the point of swallowing a bunch of balogna. You won't believe what autocorrect wanted to spell there!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:18am
post #58 of 110

A

Original message sent by Stitches

Huh.........are you accusing him of reading too much into your direct comment to him? that doesn't make sense.........

Should have added /agree.

Feel better?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 10:39am
post #59 of 110

AIf you can't see the sarcasm in someone saying that you should charge $20 for a three tiered cake, or recognize that before you take advice from strangers online you should at a minimum check their websites to see if they have half a clue, then you get what you deserve.

My favorite threads on here aren't pricing or criticism ones, they're the legal ones where people ask a bunch of questions about contracts and everyone tells them to go get the templates that are floating around. Half of those aren't enforceable, and the other half might not be legal in specific areas. I can see people being dragged into court, clutching a cake contract in their sweaty hands, and telling the judge that they got it online and a bunch of strangers told them it was a good contract. The judge would ask if it was the woman who declared bankruptcy that told her that, the guy who lives in his mother's basement, or the person who thinks $35 is a good price for a three tiered cake.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 12:25pm
post #60 of 110

most cake contracts and talk of such put me to sleep--(and yet here i am talking about them ;)

as if writing down every conceivable potentiality will absolve you from... what?...the cake boogey man?

but omg if someone sued you they could get your house and put your children's children into servitude.

but why did you incorporate? this be where jason will patiently explain it to me ;)

<trembling> we will write "omg omg put another clause in your contracts quick" or  <jumping up & down we scream >"have them sign a waiver"--

...knees are weak.. cahhn't breath...stop pestering your clients--

i think if some clients can wade through some of those elaborate obsessive  messes they deserve a couple brownie sundaes, big ones. 

i guess my favorite most recent clause is if the cat poops on the cake  :lol: 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%