Will This Look Strange?

Decorating By Norasmom Updated 11 Aug 2013 , 2:28am by lorieleann

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 8

I am baking a 3-tier cake.  I am thinking of making a 4" bottom tier and then for the top 2 tiers just keep them at 2" high.  (They will be slightly higher once filling has been added)  Would this look funny?   Has anyone done this before?  I am putting a topper on as well.

I usually make all of my tiers the same height.

7 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 8

I've never done the 2" before.  Did you stack your cake pan together or dummies so see what it will look like? 

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 8

It's going to look "squat.  But if that's the look you're going for....................go for it!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 8

APersonally, I think short tiers are only attractive in a several tier cake (4 or more) where there is a variety of sizes (like two 4" tiers, one 6" tier and then a 2").

If you want a cake that's only 8" high, why not just do two 4" tiers?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 8

It's to serve many people, so I need 3 tiers.  I think I will do the 4" tiers across the board.  Thanks everyone!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 1:35am
post #6 of 8

AI do half tall and extended tiers often, and mix the sizes in one setup too. there's a few in my galleries if you want to see. Circus cake, LOVE cake, might be another one too.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 1:37am
post #7 of 8

AGive me a total serving count needed, and I'll suggest some arrangements. I have charts dedicated to unusual tier shape arrangements for when I need to design and don't want to sit there and do a bunch of math every time.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 2:28am
post #8 of 8

Speaking to the need to 'feed many people' and that is why you need 3 tiers,  remember that you will need to cut larger slices out of a 2" cake to fill the plate than you will from a 4" high cake.  

If you plan on serving each guest 8 cubic inches of cake, that is a 1" x 2" x 4" slice of cake or it is a 2" x 2" x 2" slice of cake. So technically to do 2" tiers, you would need MORE tiers to serve the same amount of guests.  And that would be just more work stacking and decorating, and probably look pretty odd.  

You are on the right path in doing the 4" high cake--at least as far as efficiency in serving.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%