What If You Know A Cake Will Be Ugly?

Decorating By pouchet82 Updated 9 Aug 2013 , 4:13pm by smittyditty

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 21 Jul 2013 , 8:50pm
post #32 of 101

Good luck don't forget to post the finished cake so we can all admire your hard work in this cake design.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 5:53am
post #33 of 101

Good job on the sketch!  Looking forward to your finished cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 6:52am
post #34 of 101

AIf you have the time and energy and resources, you could stack up some cake dummies in the sizes you will use, and stick some silk flowers on, as a mock up. Then, as she watches, start laying the contents of your make up bag all over it and then all sorts of "his" junk (forget what it was) then plop the topper on. If she isn't horrified, then she will be happy with the cake, and don't post any pictures!

I have given deposits back when I was horrified with the design, but it's sticky since this is a friend.

Babbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babbo Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 11:41am
post #35 of 101

I have had this a few times.. I always try to do a quick sketch of the cake on flash so they can see exactly what it will look like. If this does not help, ull just have to bite the bullet

pouchet82 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 7:58pm
post #36 of 101

I thought I would update everyone on the change of events with this cake. The groom, who is very good friends with my husband, texted him saying that we should be giving the wedding cake to them as their gift. Yes, a cake to serve 270 people for free. The last time I checked, a cake that costs zero dollars has zero servings. I had told them all along how much it would cost, now suddenly they're telling us how much we should give as a gift. I was so upset and disgusted that I told my friend she can go to a bakery and find someone else to make her cake. Needless to say I am no longer invited to the wedding (insert bridezilla emoticon here).

I'm furious. Apparently when making a cake for a friend, even if your husband is in the wedding party, you still need a contract and a deposit. Lesson learned.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:03pm
post #37 of 101

AThat's so rude! I'm so sorry after all that, ugh. Well let someone else make their ugly cake and they will hate it & the price!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #38 of 101

What a God-awful trashy tacky thing for them to do. I'll best they've been featured a time or two on that People of Walmart site.

You should have asked who else is giving them a wedding present worth $3000?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #39 of 101

What a God-awful trashy tacky thing for them to do. I'll best they've been featured a time or two on that People of Walmart site.

You should have asked who else is giving them a wedding present worth $3000?

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:15pm
post #40 of 101

You may have said it, but I can't remember... How much were you charging them? I would love to know how much of a shocker they will get when they call around to order one! I bet they have no freaking money budgeted, that is why they want it for free. I bet my second set of dogwood plunger cutters that they have a friend or relative make a monstrosity! Anybody want in on the action? ;-)  lol

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:15pm
post #41 of 101

AWow how tacky, although given that she wanted to put makeup and shoes on her wedding cake, I'm not surprised. Don't be surprised if she wants to be friends again when her baby shower rolls around.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:27pm
post #42 of 101

AOh man, so sorry for you!! It stinks when you're used just for people to get "free cake". I have a "former" friend who did that to me twice. I have to wonder, after they check prices, will they suddenly want to make amends?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:29pm
post #43 of 101

That's incredibly rude... since when are people allowed to dictate what each person should be giving them for a wedding gift?

kikiandkyle Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:32pm
post #44 of 101

AHopefully whoever they go to reads this site too and will recognize the tacky design and add a PITA fee to their bill!

pouchet82 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:34pm
post #45 of 101

I was charging her 300$. NEVER again

pouchet82 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 8:37pm
post #46 of 101

And thanks everyone for your incredible support, I knew it was coming to this last night, when they changed the time for pictures and my hubby couldn't help me deliver the cake, so I had to ask my cousin to miss a shift at work to help me and I told them I would need to pay him and they were happy about that. I didn't sleep all night. Hopefully I'll get some rest tonight!

smittyditty Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 9:45pm
post #47 of 101

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Did you already start the cake? Is your husband still going to be in the wedding?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 10:11pm
post #48 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82 

That is a TOTAL steal and they are TOTAL A$$ES!  They will regret EVERY minute of this, I am sure!
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 10:29pm
post #49 of 101

When it gets too cluttered I just ask "What do you want your guests to notice first about your cake".  That way I can detect what's most important to the bride and peel back the layers from there.  Sometimes you have to ask yourself - who's cake is this anyway.  Do you dislike it because it's not your style?  Most of the time when you look back at the pictures, you end up liking it.  Consider it a way to open your mind....................and pretty soon your mind will be so open that you'll be able to say, sure, whatever .....................and get it done whether or not you like it.  We've all "shivered" while making a cake but..............it's what the customer wanted.

pouchet82 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 10:52pm
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Did you already start the cake? Is your husband still going to be in the wedding?

No, we were both un-invited. Just shows you the level of class. Bridezilla doesn't get what she wants so she kicks and screams

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:03pm
post #51 of 101
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

No, we were both un-invited. Just shows you the level of class. Bridezilla doesn't get what she wants so she kicks and screams

WoW! When I do cakes and discounts, I always ask myself if the potential client deserves a discount. I think you have your answer! If she comes crawling back, don't do it for less that 3 times what you would have charged!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:04pm
post #52 of 101

They were happy when they found out you would have to pay someone to help you?? Wowzers.

I say go do something romantic with your hubby and be thankful you didnt have to deal with the junk drawer cake!

(thats what I call cakes that people want covered in a ton of random stuff :P)

kikiandkyle Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:10pm
post #53 of 101

AI hope neither of you had to buy outfits for this wedding yet, or that they are at least returnable. These are not friends you will miss.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:13pm
post #54 of 101
Quote:

That would BARELY cover your costs, if it did, so you were giving all the labor, and they still wanted more... Shameless!

pouchet82 Posted 24 Jul 2013 , 11:34pm
post #55 of 101

ALuckily my hubby has been incredibly supportive and is willing to throw away a 20 year friendship because of the way they are treating me. They feel that their cake should be free because I didn't charge our other friends, one cake was 100 servings and the other was buttercream, no fondant, and my friend paid for all the new pans I needed. Apparently my time has no value to them. I have an 8 month old son that I will barely see for 3 days because of this cake. It means nothing to them.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:31am
post #56 of 101

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Wow how tacky, although given that she wanted to put makeup and shoes on her wedding cake, I'm not surprised. Don't be surprised if she wants to be friends again when her baby shower rolls around.

Yeah that!!!

Sorry you're dealing with this though!! Bummer. You should get all dressed up and have a date with your hubby that night and be thankful you didn't stress for weeks over an ugly cake for ingrates!!!!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 5:53am
post #57 of 101

Unreal and beyond rude.   $300 doesn't begin to cover all the planning and anxiety this cake has caused you and now bringing your husband into it.  So sorry you had to go through all this.  I'm always amazed how meaningless the word Friend can be when somebody doesn't get their way. 

So it will be interesting to see if she manages to manipulate someone else to make the cake for free - it certainly won't be a bakery!

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 9:48am
post #58 of 101

wow. what a shocker.  those people are not your friends- I'm glad that your husband is supporting you on this.

They're just gross, tacky nasty people. seriously.  I bet their wedding is going to be a big mess anyway...(her design for that) cake sounded ridiculously tacky, clutter with silly sports junk and dumb nick-nacks. delete!

You're all better off without these people in your lives. 

smittyditty Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:32pm
post #59 of 101

AI assume that the friends you have their cakes for free are mutual friends? What do these mutual friends think? Do they know yet?

smittyditty Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 1:35pm
post #60 of 101

AI assume that the cakes you made for free were for mutual friends? What do these mutual friends think? Do they know yet?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%