What Is Wrong With Being A Newbie?

Lounge By enga Updated 23 Feb 2013 , 1:16am by SystemMod1

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:54pm
post #61 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChick 

People should also consider that just because it says "Newbie" under someones name, DOES NOT mean they are new to this craft!  I joined this site in March of 2010, and it still considers me a "Newbie", but I've been in the business of decorating cakes for the better part of 10 years.  Even after ten years, I still run into things I'm unsure of.  (I'm having "color mixing" trouble as of late) 

Even though some may act like "know-it-alls"...NO ONE knows everything!  I don't care if you've been doing this for 50 years.....there is ALWAYS something new to learn.  If more people would keep that in mind we would probably see more polite replies to our questions.  What ever happened to, "There is no such thing as a stupid question"? 

Every single person here had to start somewhere and if there are those who are "annoyed" or think they are too good to offer a bit of help to someone with a question, then perhaps they shouldn't answer it at all.  If something annoys you, ignore it.  "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" (Obviously some people never learned that as a kid)   It's not like it's a nagging fly that you can't swat away...it's a question. 

We all joined this site to learn something...to share thoughts, ideas or recipes regarding a craft that we enjoy.  "Share" is the key word there.  The most precious thing you can share with someone...is Knowledge!! 
(...steppin off my soapbox now...)

Although I haven't seen or read the comments you're specifically referring to, enga, I'm sorry you're having to deal with those whose momma's didn't teach them any better.  Don't let a handful of nasty people spoil it for you.  There are many, many others here that are more than happy to offer you the help and encouragement that we all needed at one time or another.   Some other points of reference that may be helpful are the Wilton website and YouTube if you like a more visual reference.  Hang in there and keep baking! 

icon_biggrin.gif
KC

(For whatever reason, I feel I should clarify)...

I most definitely believe in doing ones own research prior to posting questions on the forum.  Asking the forum should be a last resort sort of thing.   I can understand how being asked something like, "What is a Tablespoon?", could get under the skin of a more seasoned baker. (just an example)  Especially when the question being asked is answered in a thousand different places on the same forum. That's just being plain lazy.  You wouldn't do your childs math homework or write their book report for them, but rather give them the resources they need to learn how to do it themselves. So, absolutely do your own research before asking for help.

That being said...If someone does ask what some may view as an "annoying" question...Is the snarkiness and rudeness really necessary?  I don't think it is.  There's enough negativity in the world today.  There's no need to contribute to it.

Thank You, that is all.  

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:19pm
post #62 of 98

Honestly, Google is so underused. And the best way to find an answer to something, even if you intend to find it here, is to go to Google, and just add the words Cake Central at the end of your search phrase. Not to sound snarky, but Google really is your best friend, or should be. There's even an advance search you can do, that you can command Google to only show results from Cake Central.icon_smile.gif

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:23pm
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

NO
:)

Seems that ways.. doesn't it...

:)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:53pm
post #64 of 98

I just wanted to pop on and say that I'm happy to see so many user names on this thread that are unfamiliar to me.  New or not, participate more here!

Look, if you don't like tone of a thread, it really only takes a few of you to change it.  Look how easily a thread can get derailed - that can go either way.  But it only happens by new blood posting more, offering encouragement, or even just popping on to say "wow I don't know but would love to see the answer" or whatever.  Right now it's the same handful of people participating on the threads.  But I know there are a TON of people that visit and read daily.  If, say, 20 of them started posting a little here and there it would completely alter the topics, the way things are said, and the way things are read by even more new people.

Think about it!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:29pm
post #65 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford 

And I have no friends.

Yes you do! Me, waving hand in air. icon_smile.gif

I also used to tie up my horse to the post outside. icon_biggrin.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:32pm
post #66 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Yes you do! Me, waving hand in air. icon_smile.gif

Oh, Thank You!  I was about to get concerned that it might be me, considering the cat bit me this morning.icon_biggrin.gif

shanter Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:48pm
post #67 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

Are you finished, did you get it all out, do you feel good now, did you make your point. kudos to you, here, have a cookie.

Weren't you complaining about people being rude and snarky?  Physician,heal thyself.

shanter Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:50pm
post #68 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford 
Oh, Thank You!  I was about to get concerned that it might be me, considering the cat bit me this morning.icon_biggrin.gif

icon_surprised.gif 

To the bad kitty: No snacks for you until you apologize to jgifford!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:06pm
post #69 of 98

Pets jgifford's cat. *Good kitty* icon_twisted.gif

shanter Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:09pm
post #70 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Pets jgifford's cat. *Good kitty* icon_twisted.gif

Even the good ones are bad sometimes. Not just cats.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:12pm
post #71 of 98

AI just have to say I love how the OP has descended far past the level of rude she was so concerned about in others. I am sitting here having giggle-fits getting caught up :-)

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:36pm
post #72 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Even the good ones are bad sometimes. Not just cats.

Hehehehe. Touche my friend. Touche!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:59pm
post #73 of 98

This is just a sample of what I bring to the forum

• spent 1,000's of dollars in classes
  • spent FAR too much on equipment/tools - so I know what is good value & what is a waste of money!!
  • spent hours practising
  • spent FAR too much time online reading and absorbing
  • spendt time attending workshops with other decoraters
  • spent money on my OWN recipe development
  • spent MY time TRYING out ways to do something to see what works best
  • 30+ years of decorating - old styles, new styles and styles yet to come

IF the ONLY thing you have to 'tolerate' is my sharp tongue, Australian sense of humour (yes, I know a lot of it is sarcastic but often MISUNDERSTOOD) and my honest (sometimes BLUNT) style of communication then I STILL think you are getting a pretty good deal for NOTHING

Basically the choice is yours...... you CAN accept that help as it is offered OR ........ NOT !    SO many wise ones have disappered off here because of all this 'you have to answer THIS way!  or "the forum is ONLY here for people to ask questions and get answers RIGHT NOW!"   I think it is this sense of ENTITLEMENT that really gets up my nose!   I mean WHY do people think that because we've done the hard yards that it is THEIR right to skip all that ?

So IF you are finding it nerve-wracking READING replies..... maybe you should try the alternative...... I can guarantee you - it ISN"T instant gratification !!

just sayin!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:07pm
post #74 of 98

...........when someone comes on here and asks how much batter to put in a pan or what temperature to set their oven on or if a certain recipe will work, I'm thinking "Are you totally helpless?  Just do it - figure it out. Duh."  Of course I would never say that, but some things just require a little common sense..........

I could not agree more.  Most of us have learned the hard way - long before such helpful places like the internet came around.   Also, what works or tastes great for one person will turn out/taste different to others.  Example: I do not like IMBC - to me I might as well eat a stick of butter right out of the frig - yuck!  But give me ABC any day.  I think non-dairy toppings such as Rich's Bettercreme or Frostin Pride are just as sweet, even sweeter, than b'cream.  Everyone is different so when answers differ it sometimes cause arguments. 

I have a different sense of humor and I guess sometimes my answer might come across as 'snide'.  Example:  someone asks how long do I bake a 10" cake?  I'll answer "Until it done" :)  But then I usually go on to say" until you can smell that wonderful aroma in the next room".

There are reasons some answers are not "right on" - there can be many, many different elements that would prevent the more perfect answer.  Ovens vary - baking differently, ingredients/brands vary,  Ovens vary.  I used to say 350 degrees was 350 no matter if it was from gas or electric or wood....but it's not always the temp but how the oven is put together/made.  There sometimes are hot spots or the thermometer is off or some other problem that will cause ovens to vary in their deliver of the heat produced.  Mixers - some are more powerful then others which can cause overmixing of ingredients. 

Some of us learned a different way of doing something but that does not mean it's the wrong or right way, just different.  Some people make their roses on a stick - I can't - I have to have a flower nail.  Some make flowers right on their cakes; I can make a few but not others.  Some find it easier to make gumpaste flowers. 

All of these differences make for different answers - some of which some might find as rude &/or snide. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:13pm
post #75 of 98

ApplegumPam said: 

• spent FAR too much on equipment/tools - so I know what is good value & what is a waste of money!!
  • spent hours practising
  • 30+ years of decorating - old styles, new styles and styles yet to come...........

I soooo agree with this.  Right down to the amount of time I've been involved in this sweet art.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:33pm
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

This is just a sample of what I bring to the forum

• spent hours practising
  • spent money on my OWN recipe development
  • 30+ years of decorating - old styles, new styles and styles yet to come

IF the ONLY thing you have to 'tolerate' is my sharp tongue, Australian sense of humour (yes, I know a lot of it is sarcastic but often MISUNDERSTOOD) and my honest (sometimes BLUNT) style of communication then I STILL think you are getting a pretty good deal for NOTHING

Basically the choice is yours...... you CAN accept that help as it is offered OR ........ NOT !    SO many wise ones have disappered off here because of all this 'you have to answer THIS way!  or "the forum is ONLY here for people to ask questions and get answers RIGHT NOW!"   I think it is this sense of ENTITLEMENT that really gets up my nose!   I mean WHY do people think that because we've done the hard yards that it is THEIR right to skip all that ?

So IF you are finding it nerve-wracking READING replies..... maybe you should try the alternative...... I can guarantee you - it ISN"T instant gratification !!

just sayin!

Yer my hero!

Mariposa77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariposa77 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:03pm
post #77 of 98

AI'm glad this post was started. I make cakes for my kids, family and friends as gifts, not as a business. I'm often reluctant to ask a question and find myself wasting hours on google instead because I'm scared of being belittled for not knowing. How can I learn if no one is willing to teach? Did you learn to read without help? Did you learn to play an instrument or a sport without some guidance or knowing the rules? Probably not. I'm not asking for the experts to hand me all the answers. I'm not asking you to bake or decorate for me. I just need someone to clarify things i don't understand or point me in the right direction sometimes. Considering everyone here was new at some point, you wouldn't think that's too much to ask.

ApplegumPam Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:11pm
post #78 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposa77 

I'm glad this post was started. I make cakes for my kids, family and friends as gifts, not as a business. I'm often reluctant to ask a question and find myself wasting hours on google instead because I'm scared of being belittled for not knowing. How can I learn if no one is willing to teach? Did you learn to read without help? Did you learn to play an instrument or a sport without some guidance or knowing the rules? Probably not. I'm not asking for the experts to hand me all the answers. I'm not asking you to bake or decorate for me. I just need someone to clarify things i don't understand or point me in the right direction sometimes. Considering everyone here was new at some point, you wouldn't think that's too much to ask.

My replies are NOT for one minute suggesting that I do not want to help - if you check back on my posts both as ApplegumPam AND as ApplegumKitchen you will note that 99% of them are ANSWERING ones - I don't think I have ever asked a question (not that I KNOW it all - just that I probably have more confidence to give something a go and know what may or may not work)

What I am saying..... is IF you are wanting to ask questions - I don't think you can place demands on HOW your question is answered.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:12pm
post #79 of 98

OMG, now I'm a hypocrite for trying to be a voice for people who are afraid to post for fear of being humiliated.

Sorry kitty that I rubbed you the wrong way, it was not my intention.

I only wanted to let you guys know that there is a huge number of people on this site who just read the post and don't contribute anything because of some of the things they have read, that's all.

I have never posted on this site to ask how to do something that I could have easily figured out myself,  I have learned a lot from reading information on cc,

researching the Internet and trail and error, without having to ask. I was never afraid to post, I just haven't had the need to do so yet.  I usually just use the search box if I need to know something. I don't know everything about cake decorating that's why I come here for answers. Everyone is not like me, and some people have pm ed me and asked for help because they did not want to post for fear of getting their heads chewed off. Now why is that?  Obviously there is a problem.

As for the sarcastic remark "do you want a cookie?", it was intended for the people who were being sarcastic with me.  It all started because I said "I know I sometimes spew unicorns and rainbows , life's to short", and it went downhill from there.

I will say it again people, be kind, if you are tired of answering questions, then don't.  You belong to one of the largest cake decorating community in the world, and the world is watching.  I for one take pride in being apart of it and I am quite sure you do too.

I was only trying to voice opinions for people who are afraid to do so.  If I offended anyone I'm truly sorry, like I said, it was not my intention.

Thanks for all your contributions as they have helped to better myself as a cake decorator and baker and a person. I hope this forum has made some of you feel a little more comfortable about voicing your opinions and sharing your knowledge,  just remember that everyone has something to offer whether new or old, inexperienced or professional.

I feel like I stepped into a hornets nest today and it was one of my own making.  I was just trying to help.

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:24pm
post #80 of 98

"What I am saying..... is IF you are wanting to ask questions - I don't think you can place demands on HOW your question is answered."

SMDH

ApplegumPam Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:34pm
post #81 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

OMG, now I'm a hypocrite for trying to be a voice for people who are afraid to post for fear of being humiliated.

Sorry kitty that I rubbed you the wrong way, it was not my intention.

I only wanted to let you guys know that there is a huge number of people on this site who just read the post and don't contribute anything because of some of the things they have read, that's all.

I have never posted on this site to ask how to do something that I could have easily figured out myself,  I have learned a lot from reading information on cc,

researching the Internet and trail and error, without having to ask. I was never afraid to post, I just haven't had the need to do so yet.  I usually just use the search box if I need to know something. I don't know everything about cake decorating that's why I come here for answers. Everyone is not like me, and some people have pm ed me and asked for help because they did not want to post for fear of getting their heads chewed off. Now why is that?  Obviously there is a problem.

As for the sarcastic remark "do you want a cookie?", it was intended for the people who were being sarcastic with me.  It all started because I said "I know I sometimes spew unicorns and rainbows , life's to short", and it went downhill from there.

I will say it again people, be kind, if you are tired of answering questions, then don't.  You belong to one of the largest cake decorating community in the world, and the world is watching.  I for one take pride in being apart of it and I am quite sure you do too.

I was only trying to voice opinions for people who are afraid to do so.  If I offended anyone I'm truly sorry, like I said, it was not my intention.

Thanks for all your contributions as they have helped to better me as a cake decorator and baker and a person. I hope this forum has made some of you feel a little more comfortable about voicing your opinions and sharing your knowledge,  just remember that every has something to offer whether new or old, inexperienced or professional.

I feel like I stepped into a hornets nest today and it was one of my own making.  I was just trying to help.

Stop - take a breath - seriously I think you are making too much out of this - I am not offended - I dish out sarcasm and have learnt to take it

Nobody is targeting you - or suggesting you are a hypocrite or anything else  - I am NOT saying I am TIRED of answering posts - what I am saying and it always seems to get lost in translation is .....   there is NO NEED TO BE AFRAID to post a question .... for goodness sake, what IS the worst thing that can happen?
Somebody will say something a little differently than waht you were expecting?   They aren't coming into your home to chew your head off !  they are just WORDS on a screen - and more often than not - NOT intended to be read as they are by some!!!!!!

Being KIND is also VERY subjective ..... I think I am being KIND by answering a question - yet now it isn't enough to just do that -  we need to consider how somebody 'might' take the words that I have written....... THIS is what I don't have time for  - the whole 'politically correct' generation, where EVERYBODY is right, nobody is wrong, everybody is a winner - nobody is a loser.

I can't say it in any plainer English - but my advice is to ask questions.... you WILL get answers - they won't KILL you - yes, sometimes they might STING - I am sure you WILL learn a lot and maybe even learn to 'understand' the people answering them - but seriously if you are going to be that easily hurt, to the point of choosing NOT to ask for FREE help ....... you had better find another hobby/career.... because honey - cake decorating and cake decoraters AINT ALL SWEET

Just ask Kerrie Vincent !  LOL

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:34pm
post #82 of 98

Well mariposa77 as you have noticed sometimes it really is to much to ask,  and the funny things is they don't even realize that they are doing it.

All I can tell you to do is ignore all the negative responses, there are some really good people on this site who are willing to share their knowledge, so if you have a question, post it, that's what this site is for. Sharing knowledge.

ApplegumPam Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:39pm
post #83 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga  that's what this site is for. Sharing knowledge.

If that were true - then it is just ....... Givers & Takers

This site was intended to be so much more!   its just that it seems to evolved to that :( 

SMDH  (yep - I had to Google that)  LOL

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:40pm
post #84 of 98

A

Original message sent by enga

"What I am saying..... is IF you are wanting to ask questions - I don't think you can place demands on HOW your question is answered."

Makes perfect sense to me. As you've suggested yourself, just ignore the negative responses. Trying to convince an entire community to be less sarcastic and condescending is an exercise in futility, especially when you are demonstrating the very behaviors you want others to stop.

If you want to control the conversation and ban/block/delete people and responses you don't like, post on your own blog or FB page instead of a public forum.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:42pm
post #85 of 98

Oh Pam, just forget it. icon_rolleyes.gif

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:44pm
post #86 of 98

Nor was my response to you, some one said earlier in the post "pot meet kettle"  and believe me when I tell you my feeling were not hurt, others were hurt.  And sometimes words do hurt, at times they can fell like slap in the face. This forum started way back, I was just responding to an earlier post.

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:47pm
post #87 of 98

I have a right to be here just like you do and if you don't like it block it or stop reading the forum take your pick.  You do realize I am not answering someones post for help.  I am answering things that other people have posted on this forum.

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:51pm
post #88 of 98

If calling someone mean that is mean is condescending, then so be it.  I have not yelled at anyone who asked for help, or made them feel bad for asking.

You are not on this post for my help, you are on this post because you don't like what I said, or how I answered a response.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:04am
post #89 of 98

In my mind neither is a lesser evil;

making newbies feel like fools for asking questions,

making oldies feel like fools for answering questions,

Wagging fingers either way in a public forum will clearly draw sharks!

.........I hear cellos in the distance..........

enga Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 12:04am
post #90 of 98

I am asking you to stop being mean or rude to people who are asking for help.  I am being sarcastic and condescending to other people who are trying to say that I am doing the same thing as them, which is being mean to people who ask for help.

Sorry,  I don't do the " let me make them feel like **** for asking help thing" so many of you are so well rehearsed in doing. I will however talk smack to people who talk smack  to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%