What Is Wrong With Being A Newbie?

Lounge By enga Updated 23 Feb 2013 , 1:16am by SystemMod1

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:52am
post #31 of 98

I like you enga. That's the spirit! Didn't take you long to switch sides huh? For that I applaud you!  *And don't you dare edit that post, I'd like folks to see the metamorphosis*

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:53am
post #32 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

You know what sometimes people need a kind word every once in awhile, I tried to start a forum to make new people feel comfortable on this website.

If you feel like you might have been to blunt or a straight forward or simply just straight talking, then maybe that's a sign of guilt.

I will say it again if some one post something that seems to be repetitive or mundane, then by all means keep it moving, all posts don't require your answer.

And life can be quite long when you have to deal with rudeness and snide remarks, but hey, like you said it's a free country.Do what thou wilt.

I don't think it's (miss?) communication, it seemed to get you on the forum for what ever reason, and if it's old, then that tells me it's an old problem that still needs to be addressed. New people as well as old people know when that have been slighted and they know a barb when they here one.

Your response is a perfect example , so thank you so much for your comments, they will be dutifully noted.

Let me give you a tip from an OLD head that used to hang out here a lot and answer loads of questions.

If you are the person that is benefiting most of of a relationship (yep the newbies or inexperienced or whatwever you want to call yourselves) I'd say suck it up, build a bridge, STOP being so darn sensitive!   You are basically wanting a 24/7 personal help desk for FREE !   and then dictating HOW you expect to receive that advice/help.  Sometimes you need to be told what you might not want to hear.... BUT its normally the BEST ADVICE!

A forum ISN"T just a place where newbies come to get their answers - it is SUPPOSED to be a community where people with a common interest can SHARE!
That means there must be something here for us old timers too - do you think we just come here to stroke our egos by wasting hours answering questions?

This place has disintegrated into next to nothing of late...... mainly because of this 'sense of entitlement' shown by some and the constant harping of..... if you don't want to answer then don't..... OK - thats what happened.... and THEN we get posts like..... ANYBODY?   ANYBODY????

It used to be a fun place where people could have a bit of fun, talk about all sorts of things, and share some of our cakey knowledge along the way.
When you get any group of people together you are going to have to deal with many different persoanlity types, some quiet & shy, some loud, some shtraight shooters, some helpful, some needy, some attention seekers, some whiners, .... yep the whole spectrum!!!   and thats what THIS place is - its NOT a bloody Kindergarten class and I sure as heck don't want it to become a bunch of robot drones.

Sorry but I think vgcea made some pretty valid points and I'm giving her the thumbs up too !!!!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:10am
post #33 of 98

To each his own and life is about diversity. I don't feel like I have to pick a side.  Wrong is wrong and right is right.

Some of you are guilty of being cruel to people on this site, and some of you are just trying to help, and  some of you are fed up with helping  the what you might call the ridiculously hopeless, that is fine too.

Please don't assume that everyone should just suck it up, develop a thicker skin, or stop whining, if they didn't need help why in the world would they ask?

So everybody. please calm down, take a second and think about it.  Why are you getting so upset?

I had no idea that people could get in such an uproar from someone simply asking a question.

Don't answer the question, ignore this forum and any other forum that you don't like, Sheesh!

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:27am
post #34 of 98

I like you enga. That's the spirit! Didn't take you long to switch sides huh? For that I applaud you!  *And don't you dare edit that post, I'd like folks to see the metamorphosis*

I edited my response because I left out something.  The only metamorphosis that I noticed was your response with Anna cosigning it

You are turning this forum into a mountain instead of a mole hill.

Please, just let us have our unicorns and rainbows, some people are into that.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:47am
post #35 of 98
Quote:

If you feel like you might have been to blunt or a straight forward or simply just straight talking, then maybe that's a sign of guilt.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh...........here comes Bluehue i hear people scream...

But i have to chime in here..... the portion of the sentance i have underlined is totally mind boggling

I am a straight talker...i say it as it is...i call a spade a shovel..... but to refer to that as some form of guilt..icon_confused.gif... guilt from where/what?

Blue walks away shaking her head.....

Thats all

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:02am
post #36 of 98

How do you figure I was referring to you, read the whole forum from the beginning the person who said it knows who I am talking about.

It has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with straight talkers, it was a metaphor because some people said they take some responses as straight talk or keeping it real.

Don't take things so literally.

I see everyone is in attack mode even though many of you have stated you don't do it. This is living proof, I give up, somebody flip me over because I am done.

vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:06am
post #37 of 98

Consider yourself flipped. 

Really enga, it's not about attack mode or who is right or wrong. This is a forum of different people and personalities. We're all not going to be in kumbayah mode all the time. Like a family we'll just have to deal with everyone's unique personalities and ways of doing things. We'll get mad at each other, we'll e-argue, and we'll get over it. Just think about it like a family, there's gotta be a bit of everything in the mix. At least we know we have you to bring a ray of sunshine into every thread after some folks *not me, not me!* pee all over it.

Truce?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:52am
post #38 of 98
Quote:

How do you figure I was referring to you, read the whole forum from the beginning the person who said it knows who I am talking about.

It has nothing, I repeat nothing to do with straight talkers, it was a metaphor because some people said they take some responses as straight talk or keeping it real.

Don't take things so literally.

I see everyone is in attack mode even though many of you have stated you don't do it. This is living proof, I give up, somebody flip me over because I am done.

No, i didnt take it that you were referring to me.... and yes i did read the whole thread.

Just the fact that you would say that sentance is mind boggling...

From where i sit...it just wasn't called for.... *guilt* is a strong word.

Best one doesn't use that word again................. thank you

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:31am
post #39 of 98

ohhh, I saw how GUILTY your back looked Bluehue as you walked away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   "Please be nice" says it all, i.e. I don't necessarilly  want the truth and I don't really value your opinion but I do want you to stroke my ego so please waste your valuable time.

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:01am
post #40 of 98

110% for Applegum Pam vgcea and Bluehue!!!

I have to be blunt in a very German way and this is directed to no one in particular but all puppies and rainbows - so you came here expecting certain things and it didn't go as you had wished for? People have differnet opinions and are not afraid to voice them? You expect this forum to be helpful for YOU in the manner that YOU can deal with best? You want everybody else to behave the way it suits YOU?

Well, live certainly is tough.... or to say it with a very fitting German saying - Das Leben ist kein Ponyhof icon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:27am
post #41 of 98

A

Original message sent by enga

I edited my response because I left out something.  The only metamorphosis that I noticed was your response with Anna cosigning it

You are turning this forum into a mountain instead of a mole hill.

[B]Please, just let us have our unicorns and rainbows, some people are into that.[/B]

And I can say "please, just let us have our reality, truth, and free speech, some people are into that."

[B]Don't take things so literally.[/B]

IRONIC!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:34am
post #42 of 98

Enga, I may be wrong but from your first post I took it as a "please be nice to newbies" request which it appears you now feel has deteriorated into an attack. I think most of the posts you are taking as "attacks" are actually just intended to point out why people sometimes respond in the way that they do (eg short tempered, direct, "google is your friend", type responses)

I am a very inexperienced caker and can only dream of creating some of the art works most people on here make, I am also purely amature with no intention of ever selling/recieving money for a cake but even I, having read the forums for as long as I have, can easily answer alot of the repeat questions about setting up a business (in the US, I'm in the UK!), how to price a cake, etc etc. Sometimes I answer but to be honest a lot of the time I don't bother any more. If me, a pure amature with no professional cake experience (even no formal lessons) can work out how it was done (or whatever) surely someone who is expecting to make/subsidise their living from it they should be prepared to put enough effort into it to do a search of the forums/Google to learn the basics. I can only imagine what the experienced professionals on here for years feel like!! The problem with no one responding to posts is some newbies get all hurt and accuse people of not replying when they are newbies when the options to the posters is - type out the same advice all again (wasting their time) or tell them to do some searching (and get accused of being unhelpful and rude).

Koccy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Koccy Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:58am
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353 

Sometimes I answer but to be honest a lot of the time I don't bother any more. If me, a pure amature with no professional cake experience (even no formal lessons) can work out how it was done (or whatever) surely someone who is expecting to make/subsidise their living from it they should be prepared to put enough effort into it to do a search of the forums/Google to learn the basics. I can only imagine what the experienced professionals on here for years feel like!

I agree with Jennifer353.  Added to that, I think that the forums are not just a community of fans sharing things in commun. But it's also a kind of encyclopedia and the first to do with an encyclopedia is search, search, search. After that, ask with reference from your search.

When this order is respected, everyone is happy : the newbies as the oldests.

Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 12:47pm
post #44 of 98

AIm a newbie and bake in the uk, I have spent the ladt couple of days reading and can see the frustration in some of the responses from the experienced guys. I think if you have manged to set yourself up as a business filled in your self assessment (tax) and dealt with environmental health u should be able to deal with the basics urself ie recipes, what to charge (if you cant why did you set urself up in the business of caking?) Living in the Uk and having friends look at me like im mental when I mention a crusting bc promptef me to join cc, im well up for reading, learning and looking and have no problem with straight talking.

tabathaba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabathaba Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:13pm
post #45 of 98

I have only been a member for a few months and even when I first posted, I never recieved any negativity. But again, I did my research and only asked questions that I couldn't figure out on my own after reading here and on google. It seems only fair that I should work to resolve my problems on my own before asking for help.

I have benefited so much from simply reading on this site. That might be a solution, newbies could be blocked from posting until they've been members for a few months. lol.  icon_wink.gif

JimmyBoombats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JimmyBoombats Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:08pm
post #46 of 98

Hello All, you guys are the best.

And it goes on and on. I have used CC as a resource for years and have just recently joined. I think the most important thing is as a few of you have already said "SEARCH". There is so much information here it is like an encyclopedia of cake and anything closely related.

In life we have to deal with many situations and people. I have been in the Military, Law Enforcement, and Business. I have dealt with so many answers, remarks, and situations that I didn't like or agree with, and you know what today is still February 22, 2013 and here I am wiser and stronger.

I guess what I am trying to say is people are people, we are who we are and we don't often change. So lets all get along and play nice, if you don't like what someone says or the tone they say it in then ignore it.

Don't take the easy way out, get a cup off coffee and some snacks and dig in and SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH, and then if you don't find your answer ask.

Just a few cents I had to throw in.

Everyone have a Fantastic Weekend, Jimmy Boombats

enga Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:31pm
post #47 of 98

Are you finished, did you get it all out, do you feel good now, did you make your point. kudos to you, here, have a cookie.

I never said I wanted this site to be "Kumbaya, rainbows and unicorns", those were word you used to describe this post and I ran with it. Is life glitter and rainbows?

Heck no.  I never asked you to hold my hand and chauffeur me around this site if I needed a recipe I searched for it if, if I wanted to learn how to make a Topsy turfy cake, I read the tutorial from people who took the time out to share them.  There is so much information on this site and I thank God that I can come here to find it. But some people for what ever reason don't look first or don't know how to look for the information and OMG.. wait for it...... wait for it....They ask you for help.  And you have to stop what you are doing or take the time out of your busy schedule and help them out.  Wooooow....

I don't want you to kiss my butt, I don't care if you are a straight shooter or If you tell it like it is, or you deliver a swift e-kick or you feel like me using the word guilty makes you fee uncomfortable, suck it up, develop a thicker skin, stop whining, like you told me to do.

"Tell to you straight", yea, that's your motto, if someone cant take it, oh well, they shouldn't have asked the question.

I am talking to all of you who are rude, condescending, and flat out mean, and if the shoe fits wear it, what the heck, your around a few like minded friends.

Thank you so much Cake Central for all the recipes, the wonderful cake designs, forums, blogs and other information on this site. I have learned so much from it.

I thank all of you who took the time to contribute to it.  And with that I will step off my glitter and rainbow colored soap box and fade back into obscurity........

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:39pm
post #48 of 98

I have been here for years and only post once in a while.

I guess the main point here is - If you are going to be rude in your response because you are annoyed by the question, then just move on. People nowadays seem to have the mindset of, "If you don't like what I have to say, it's your fault for not having thicker skin." It's not just an issue on the forums, but in society as a whole (which ironically, I think has evolved because most of our communication is online, anonymous, and lacking the personal interaction that we grew up with). I don't know why it's so hard for someone to say, "Just be nice," without getting attacked for it. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite threads are the ones with a little drama, but I just don't care for talking down to people who have done their research, but still want an extra opinion from the experts on this site.

I have learned a ton from the folks on this site! Once I tried to make a FBCT using the Wilton decorator's icing recipe. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why it didn't work. I posted on the forum and received some amazing responses (I guess I missed the BC part of FBCT, duh!). That is what kept me coming back. I'm by no means a pro, but if I have a little bit of knowlegde to share with someone just starting out, I'm happy to do it. Just because I walked through the fire doesn't mean I have to make you do it.

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:45pm
post #49 of 98

Can't we all just get along???

GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 3:59pm
post #50 of 98

People should also consider that just because it says "Newbie" under someones name, DOES NOT mean they are new to this craft!  I joined this site in March of 2010, and it still considers me a "Newbie", but I've been in the business of decorating cakes for the better part of 10 years.  Even after ten years, I still run into things I'm unsure of.  (I'm having "color mixing" trouble as of late) 

Even though some may act like "know-it-alls"...NO ONE knows everything!  I don't care if you've been doing this for 50 years.....there is ALWAYS something new to learn.  If more people would keep that in mind we would probably see more polite replies to our questions.  What ever happened to, "There is no such thing as a stupid question"? 

Every single person here had to start somewhere and if there are those who are "annoyed" or think they are too good to offer a bit of help to someone with a question, then perhaps they shouldn't answer it at all.  If something annoys you, ignore it.  "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all!" (Obviously some people never learned that as a kid)   It's not like it's a nagging fly that you can't swat away...it's a question. 

We all joined this site to learn something...to share thoughts, ideas or recipes regarding a craft that we enjoy.  "Share" is the key word there.  The most precious thing you can share with someone...is Knowledge!! 
(...steppin off my soapbox now...)

Although I haven't seen or read the comments you're specifically referring to, enga, I'm sorry you're having to deal with those whose momma's didn't teach them any better.  Don't let a handful of nasty people spoil it for you.  There are many, many others here that are more than happy to offer you the help and encouragement that we all needed at one time or another.   Some other points of reference that may be helpful are the Wilton website and YouTube if you like a more visual reference.  Hang in there and keep baking! 

icon_biggrin.gif
KC

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:21pm
post #51 of 98

"Are you finished, did you get it all out, do you feel good now, did you make your point. kudos to you, here, have a cookie."

Because when arguments don't go your way sarcasm and condescension apparently make a good fallback position.

JimmyBoombats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JimmyBoombats Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:11pm
post #52 of 98

Cookies, I Love Cookies, Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom.icon_razz.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:13pm
post #53 of 98

A

Are you finished, did you get it all out, do you feel good now, did you make your point. kudos to you, here, have a cookie. ... I am talking to all of you who are rude, condescending, and flat out mean, and if the shoe fits wear it, what the heck, your around a few like minded friends.

Pot, meet kettle.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:21pm
post #54 of 98

Well, I for one have to come here and talk to you people because my family won't speak to me anymore and I don't speak to them. So there.

vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:23pm
post #55 of 98

ADouble post.

vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:23pm
post #56 of 98

AWelcome to the dark side enga.

jgifford Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:29pm
post #57 of 98

And I have no friends.

jgifford Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:29pm
post #58 of 98

And the people at work don't like me either.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:36pm
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB213 

Can't we all just get along???

NO
:)

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:39pm
post #60 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford 

Well, I for one have to come here and talk to you people because my family won't speak to me anymore and I don't speak to them. So there.

I am with you o this one, not even my dog will talk to me anymore...he says I ramble too much.

I have been a member for only a couple months and my craft is not the fantabulous cakes you see here mine is mouth watering cheesecakes( that's right I said it lol self confidence ).. I have seen some rude things but what I keep in mind is sometimes we read things the wrong way.. when we talk and answer things over this wide world of the internet we have to read things in the way we want and not the way it was intended to sound.. I have seen answers to questions that I took in a good manner but someone else read it in a negative way.. It is all in the way you interpret it.. take this post for example, I have read many a sentences on here that I think were took in a negative manner when people were trying to explain themselves.. When you talk to someone face to face you can hear the tone of ones voice to understand if it is meant negative or positive, this is not so on a internet forum.. Yes sometimes we all have a bad day and need to remember that everyone has questions and some of the work here is so amazing people want to know ones knowledge.. I myself would take that as a compliment and hope that is my position one day, but with such a big meeting place like CC some have seen these things so many times that they are repetitive questions.. I can understand both sides of the fence and understand where both are coming from..My suggestion is to read everything with a unicorn smile and if you still do not like the answer that someone gives than skip to the next.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%