Decorating By Cakepro Updated 11 Jan 2013 , 6:30pm by FromScratchSF

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 6:57pm
post #151 of 168

AYesssssss! The Pieman ruleth.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 9:07pm
post #152 of 168

All I know is, I'd rather take my chances with ingesting a minute amount of non-toxic disco dust as opposed as to what is allowed by the FDA.  (and this doesn't include what is allowed in chocolate).  

http://www.yelp.com/topic/glendale-fda-allows-mold-rodent-hairs-insect-parts-maggots-and-eggs-in-food-yum

Point is, they're saying that such small amounts of these things do NOT pose a health threat.   Neither does disco dust which is NON-toxic!  (Can't say that about some of these other tasty things).   The tiny amount someone may ingest  (since you're talking about a PIECE of cake not the whole thing) is insignificant!  

Maybe to make sure the public is COMPLETELY informed about what's in their cake,  we should just include a disclaimer on every baked good sold stating that not only is disco dust on top, but that there are a certain amount of insects, rodent hairs, feces, maggots and mold most likely in there is well.    Doesn't the public have the right to know this? 

This whole topic is much ado about nothing.   A buffet restaurant poses more danger to public health than a whisper of disco dust on a cupcake.  

Oh..and BTW, my colonoscopy shows NO glitter residue!  I have the pictures if anyone wants to see! icon_twisted.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 9:21pm
post #153 of 168

Fine, eat all YOU want.............BUT DON'T FEED IT TO ANYONE ELSE UNLESS YOU DISCLOSE TO THEM THAT IT IS PLASTIC.

Glad your colonoscopy is clear NOW.  Per my MD/MPH DH, all it takes is one particle stuck in your appendix or diverticulum (too high in your system to be seen on a colonoscopy....) to set you up for a mighty (possibly life threatening) infection. 

But, hey, the world is full of risk takers, so go for it.  Personally, I don't want to every have to say, "Well, I was told about it and I should have known better, but I just couldn't stop myself............"

Rae

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 11:43pm
post #154 of 168

The fact of the matter is that you have absolutely zero authority to state DD does not pose a health threat.  It's all just YOUR OPINION.  And you know what they say about opinions.  

And as far as an allowable amount of organic material in our food goes, it's as if you have no idea where food comes from.  Guess what?  It's grown in the Earth, in dirt (OMG), around all kinds of insects and animals and other organic matter like mold and fungus.  Oh my!!!  But since ingesting plastic doesn't bother you, copious amount of herbicides and fungicides and pesticides probably doesn't either.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Comparing DD to organic material in our food is ridiculous.  But if you do decide to dip your fries in DD instead of ketchup, please do post a picture. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

All I know is, I'd rather take my chances with ingesting a minute amount of non-toxic disco dust as opposed as to what is allowed by the FDA.  (and this doesn't include what is allowed in chocolate).  

http://www.yelp.com/topic/glendale-fda-allows-mold-rodent-hairs-insect-parts-maggots-and-eggs-in-food-yum

Point is, they're saying that such small amounts of these things do NOT pose a health threat.   Neither does disco dust which is NON-toxic!  (Can't say that about some of these other tasty things).   The tiny amount someone may ingest  (since you're talking about a PIECE of cake not the whole thing) is insignificant!  

Maybe to make sure the public is COMPLETELY informed about what's in their cake,  we should just include a disclaimer on every baked good sold stating that not only is disco dust on top, but that there are a certain amount of insects, rodent hairs, feces, maggots and mold most likely in there is well.    Doesn't the public have the right to know this? 

This whole topic is much ado about nothing.   A buffet restaurant poses more danger to public health than a whisper of disco dust on a cupcake.  

Oh..and BTW, my colonoscopy shows NO glitter residue!  I have the pictures if anyone wants to see! icon_twisted.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 11:49pm
post #155 of 168

A

Original message sent by Cakepro

The fact of the matter is that you have absolutely zero authority to state DD does not pose a health threat.  It's all just YOUR OPINION.  And you know what they say about opinions.  

That argument doesn't work very well, since I could say that you have absolutely zero authority to state DD does post a health threat, and your posts are all your opinion. Same for a local health dept unless said health dept has jurisdiction over your business.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 12:12am
post #156 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

That argument doesn't work very well, since I could say that you have absolutely zero authority to state DD does post a health threat, and your posts are all your opinion. Same for a local health dept unless said health dept has jurisdiction over your business.

I never stated whether it poses a health threat or not.  I have no idea whether it does or not.  

I said "Don't feed people DD."  And so did the FDA.

So, to summarize:

Disco dust is plastic.  Fact.

Plastic is not food.  Fact.

Disco dust is not an edible product to be used on food.  Fact.

Amy7373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy7373 Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:01am
post #157 of 168

I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I've never used Disco Dust and have no opinion on it one way or the other.

What I do have an opinion on is the way that this thread his panned out. I joined the forum a couple of days before this thread was started so it was one of the first 'fast moving' ones I saw and decided to follow. To be completely honest, the utter *****iness and nastiness it has produced has made me think twice about how involved I want to be here.

Now, I know what some of you will say or think - you don't have to read it. But it's the fact that there are people on here that choose to express their opinions in such a nasty and condescening way that puts me off, not the content itself. I hope that makes sense. It makes me think that maybe I shouldn't have an opinion or post anything because there's potential to be shot down and ridiculed.

I posted a question about a week ago and it's had a few views but no replies and it seems like a pretty simple question (for experienced decorators at least!) that I'd really like some help with! I'm learning a lot from browsing posts but I hope that my question isn't being ignored just because I'm new!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:05am
post #158 of 168

Or to restate the summary from "Cakepro" another way,

Just because something isn't guaranteed to kill you, or even to make you violently ill, doesn't make it "Good Eats." What part of "plastic filings are not food" don't you get?

(I could go into detail on the kinds of crud I try to keep out of my food, and the efforts I support to keep crud out of everybody's food, despite the fact that I'm no health food fanatic, but that would be off-topic.)

jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 1:46am
post #159 of 168

A

Original message sent by Cakepro

So, to summarize:

Disco dust is plastic.  Fact. Plastic is not food.  Fact. Disco dust is not an edible product to be used on food.  Fact.

Correct, according to the current opinion of the FDA.

Kimdarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimdarella Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 2:41am
post #160 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy7373 

I just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I've never used Disco Dust and have no opinion on it one way or the other.

What I do have an opinion on is the way that this thread his panned out. I joined the forum a couple of days before this thread was started so it was one of the first 'fast moving' ones I saw and decided to follow. To be completely honest, the utter *****iness and nastiness it has produced has made me think twice about how involved I want to be here.

Now, I know what some of you will say or think - you don't have to read it. But it's the fact that there are people on here that choose to express their opinions in such a nasty and condescening way that puts me off, not the content itself. I hope that makes sense. It makes me think that maybe I shouldn't have an opinion or post anything because there's potential to be shot down and ridiculed.

I posted a question about a week ago and it's had a few views but no replies and it seems like a pretty simple question (for experienced decorators at least!) that I'd really like some help with! I'm learning a lot from browsing posts but I hope that my question isn't being ignored just because I'm new!

Couldn't agree more. Very off putting the tone of the discussion in here.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 2:53am
post #161 of 168

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Correct, according to the current opinion of the FDA.

What, is it likely to change?

jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:02am
post #162 of 168

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

What, is it likely to change?

It has in the past on many different occasions. If the FDA studies DD and determines that it is not harmful above a certain concentration then it will publish new guidelines accordingly.

But until (if) that happens, decorators should either use safe alternatives or only use DD on items that will not be consumed. And that's my opinion.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:49am
post #163 of 168

...........I also purchased little jars of glitter called Sunflower Sugar Art and it says made in the USA. Any idea if these are edible?...........

I am almost sure that Sunflower Sugar Art is a very good complany.  I will depend on exactly what you purchased.  If it's really glitter as in DD & opposed to dust such as Wilton;s so colled glitter, then most likely it is just another version of DD - probably the exact same, just repackaged. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:53am
post #164 of 168

AMaybe it's made out of vegetable plastics :-D

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:10pm
post #165 of 168

I've read a lot of this thread, but not all of it, so please excuse me if this has already been mentioned.  I'm just a hobby baker, and new to to the hobby for the most part, but I saw this link this morning and thought it might be helpful to some of you:

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/08/08/making-edible-metallic-glitter-a-recipe/

It provides a recipe for making your own glitter at home, using gum arabic and luster dust.  Completely edible, apparently.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 3:24pm
post #166 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hfuhruhurr 

I've read a lot of this thread, but not all of it, so please excuse me if this has already been mentioned.  I'm just a hobby baker, and new to to the hobby for the most part, but I saw this link this morning and thought it might be helpful to some of you:

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/08/08/making-edible-metallic-glitter-a-recipe/

It provides a recipe for making your own glitter at home, using gum arabic and luster dust.  Completely edible, apparently.

brilliant

that's why i was trying to get some edible dust recently to concoct something with the gum arabic

so glad that you posted this, Doc!! hurray for Lindy!!!

back in the day they brushed the mixture onto the surface of an upturned stainless steel bowl

before we had the lovely silicone mats

i think they just let it air dry

maybe they baked it

that's what i was gonna experiment with

but yay--already there for us--yay!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:40pm
post #167 of 168

AYou also use wilton gumtex instead of gum arqbic to make your own glitter, but it isn't as sparkly as the plastic version. Most people want the sparkle, so that's why we need to tell them what it's made of since they probably have no idea.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 6:30pm
post #168 of 168

I think the discussion here has run it's course.  Good, bad or otherwise, thank you all for participating and thank you Dr_Hfuhruhurr for posting that recipe.  I think it's a great positive note to end on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%