Things Not To Ask/say To A Baker!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 20 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm by ch5964

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:11am
post #1261 of 3221

Owatto - I'm so sorry you have numpties for co-workers. And we live in a country where there is quite a bit less of the fake food trends happening.

I actually encountered this too with fresh strawberry. I've ended up making a coulis with powdered sugar then cooking it and cooling it to cold, befoer adding it to my SMBC. That seems to give the best of both worlds, and its still preservative and colour-free.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 31 May 2013 , 2:24am
post #1262 of 3221

A

Original message sent by ellavanilla

as it happens, I do add some red to my strawberry BC. somehow the color of the plain BC, with the macerated fruit, looks slightly like skin and it creeps me out! 

I hear that. The same is true of jam (albeit maybe not as bad). I try to hold it to just a couple drops of McCormick red (so far, except for some Wilton black, many years ago, I've never needed anything stronger).

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 11:18am
post #1263 of 3221

I'm slowly reading through this entire thread...I'm on page 38 so far...so don't mind me if I'm quoting old posts...I love you all! You make me laugh!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 11:31am
post #1264 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizelleSA 

Mine is: " Why are you so expensive? I get 5 cakes by the local grocery store for the price of one"

Then go buy your 5 cakes there! I work hard on the details, and good cake does not come cheap!

You get what you pay for!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 12:34pm
post #1265 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Yesterday I got an email from a girl asking me what sort of payments I accept, she wants a gorgeous Minnie Mouse cake for her baby shower. I reply back , "cash, credit, check (with weeks prepayment to make sure it clears) and ask about serving amount and date.

An hour later I get a call from the girl asking don't I take EBT cards? And said sorry, I can't, I'm not qualified to take them since the government has qualifications to accept them that I don't meet.

So she asks me if she can give me her EBT card to go buy the supplies and get some extra groceries for myself, I can get twice the cost of the cake? o.0 uh, no! I was trying to be nice, so I told her that for serving count, the most basic cake would $300, and I don't have anywhere to store $600 worth of groceries, and isn't that illegal? Besides, I would want her kids to go hungry, if i took all her food stamps. She said don't worry about her, haha, she gets enough. So then I had to tell I I just couldn't do it.

Good to know our tax dollars are benefiting someone...

I actually know full well about this. I used to decorate cakes in the grocery store...9 out of 10 of my clients used EBT card. It used to make me sooooooo mad. I can't get help because I didn't have a child (that's what the EBT office said to me.) Yet, these people use it for anything. And yes, I saw daily where people would sell their food stamps...it's a broken system that is for sure.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 31 May 2013 , 12:36pm
post #1266 of 3221

I can't really understand why the cake mix in a bottle is worse than in a box.  It I was going to make one of these (Which I wouldn't) I personally would prefer it in the bottle as there would be no dishes to do.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 12:45pm
post #1267 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskerrih 

When I caked from home, there were times when I would let someone buy supplies for their cake with their food stamps, but they were reasonable cakes and I felt bad or them. I didn't charge them except for their supplies. Now what irritates me is when people come in my shop and set up a whole $400-$500 order and then tell me they want to set up something with stamps. Oh no ma'am!!! That's to feed those 5 kids you have climbing all over my store and chewing my tablecloth. I used to get food stamps before I started caking. I was a single mother of 2. I never in my life would have taken food out of my kids' mouths for something that frivolous. They got Walmart cakes back then! And as for fraud, in Louisiana you don't have to show any real proof that you need assistance. You can apply online and have $800 worth of stamps sent on a card in four days. The fraud level is very high, it's just under reported.

What I meant by my previous reply was that when someone is on food stamps, in my opinion, they shouldn't be buying a store made cake. They should buy the mix and bake it themselves. I just can't see how someone on food stamps can afford to throw such a lavish party for a child on $500 of food stamps a month that they would need a huge cake to feed 50 people. To me this is a terrible waste of food stamps. But again, it's just my opinion...others may differ.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 12:47pm
post #1268 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemMod1 

Members, move on from the topic of food stamps and financial assistance, please.  It's off topic and I'd hate to have to start deleting comments to keep this thread from going into the weeds.

Thanks!

Sorry, I guess I need to read through the entire topic before I respond...icon_redface.gif

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:04pm
post #1269 of 3221

Hey fellow CCers!  I must say, this had me CRACKING UP!  I completely can relate to A LOT of what's been said, so DITTO to y'all!

Here's one experience I'd like to share.  I was approached by a client for a quote on a tiered wedding cake with their design specifications.  After providing them with a quote, they said it was well over their budget.  Before I could even offer them other options, they asked if they could provide me with the cake {that they would put together themselves} so that I would just be left with the decorating part {to cut on costs}.  I had never come across this before so it came as a shock that made my jaw drop.  I don't know how many bakers provide this sort of service, but this was something I wasn't keen on doing simply because I didn't want my name to be associated with a cake that I didn't even bake.  Who knows whether the cake would be MOIST or dry?  icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:13pm
post #1270 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

I can't really understand why the cake mix in a bottle is worse than in a box.  It I was going to make one of these (Which I wouldn't) I personally would prefer it in the bottle as there would be no dishes to do.

I think cake mix in general is gross, so I'm consistent, at least. The mix in a bottle is weird though, because at least with the boxed ones you have to add eggs and oil or butter to it. I guess everything in the bottled one is dehydrated or artificial.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:16pm
post #1271 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

How about the excited nutcase designs?!  I opened my inbox to this today.....

"...We are having a big leaving party for (guy who works on dairy research) and we'd LOVE a 3D dairy cow cake........ it would be great if you could do two cows mounting...... or one cow calving......"

icon_confused.gif..................Just imagine the poor person who gets 'that' slice in either design!!!!! (I actually replied with those words)

This is what I actually made in the end- I think I got some of their level of humour in there without going too far! lol

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:40pm
post #1272 of 3221

A@ Crazy-Gray Oh that is sooo coool!!!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 31 May 2013 , 1:49pm
post #1273 of 3221

Wow Gray, you nailed it!  Great design and expression on the cow, with no naughty bits or unpleasant parts to eat.  Perfect!  And the ear tag for the plaque...genious.

allycrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycrumbs Posted 31 May 2013 , 2:14pm
post #1274 of 3221

ACrazy-Gray, how creative! It's a great design :)

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 31 May 2013 , 3:18pm
post #1275 of 3221

Yes, took me a minute to see him putting on his "glove", but that is just the right amount of humor. :)

Liz

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:57pm
post #1276 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG 

I buy my cake flour at GFS. You have to call in a special order for it but it arrives at the store within a couple weeks.
It's a 50 lb bag and it is $20.

What is GFS?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:13pm
post #1277 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I think cake mix in general is gross, so I'm consistent, at least. The mix in a bottle is weird though, because at least with the boxed ones you have to add eggs and oil or butter to it. I guess everything in the bottled one is dehydrated or artificial.

I have been told that originally cake mix was add water only, but homemakers didn't feel like they were baking with that kind of mix, so the formula was altered to add the egg and oil...

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:45pm
post #1278 of 3221

GFS = Gordon Food Service

Kind of a bulk supply store that is open to the public, delivers to businesses, and does some special orders... At least around here...

Sweet_Cakes Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:59pm
post #1279 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklekat6 

Okay fellow cakes, since i couldn't get you to respond to my xtranormal post here:

http://cakecentral.com/t/756686/xtranormal-video

I'll post my dialogue here.  Read the explanation for the dialogue on the other post.  Let me know what you think I should add/take out.  I'm trying to keep it funny but polite.

Baker: Hello, and welcome to California Cakes, how may I help you?

Customer:  Hi, your cakes are so lovely. 

Baker:  Oh thank you.

Customer:  Have you ever seen Ace of Cakes?

Baker: A few times.

Customer:  I am thinking about ordering my wedding cake here.  Can I ask a few questions?

Baker:  Sure.

Customer: Do you bake from scratch?

Baker: Yes.

Customer:  Is it moist?

Baker:  Of course!

Customer:  Is your icing sweet?

Baker: The primary ingredient is sugar.

Customer:  What does the cake taste like?

Baker:  Well I’d be happy to schedule a tasting if you want to set a date and pay a deposit?

Customer:  You don’t have any samples on hand at the moment?

Baker:  No we only do cake tastings for clients that we have booked.

Customer: Oh okay.  Well I am having a wedding with 250 people.  I think I want this cake I saw in Weddings.  It was 5 or 6 tiers.  It was covered in fondue.  Then it had this lace work done on the bottoms tiers and it had flowers in the middle and little people on tope that looked like the bride and groom.

Baker: I’m sorry I thought you said fondue, did you mean fondant.

Customer:  Oh yes.  I don’t like that.

Baker:  Well we can certainly make something like what you described.  Do you want 5 or 6 tiers?

Customer:  Hmmmmmm, 6.

Baker:  Can you tell me what your Bride and Groom color theme is?

Customer:  The Groom is Black and the Bride is white.

Baker:  No I’m sorry I mean what are your wedding colors?

Customer:  We don’t have them picked yet.

Baker:  That’s okay we can discuss it closer to the date.

Customer: I also want fruit filling.

Baker:  That’s not a problem, we can do any berry filing and we also have mango and banana.

Customer:  Great.  How much will it be?

Baker:  With a 6 tier buttercream cake with lace work and gumpaste flowers and people you are looking at 6 dollars a serving.

Customer:  Oh my gosh, how much is that?  That’s too much.  It’s just sugar and flour

Baker:  Well we can cut some costs if you want to buy your own topper and have your florist make the flower centerpiece of the cake?

Customer:  Okay, how much is it then?

Baker:  I think I can keep it to 5.25 a serving.

Customer:  Can you cut me a discount since I am ordering so much cake?

Baker:  I’m sorry but that’s a low as I can go.

Customer: But there will be lots of people at my wedding who are getting married soon so this will be a good marketing opportunity.

Baker:  I just can’t do it for any less it will take a lot of time to do that lace work.

Customer:  But it only takes an hour on TV.

Baker: Yes but they don’t show you all the behind-the-scenes work they do.

Customer:  And I have seen cakes at Wal-mart for $150.

Baker:  Have you seen the cake you want at Wal-mart?

Customer:  Well no, can’t you do price match guarantee?

Baker:  I’m sorry but that’s my final price and it’s really competitive for other specialty cake shops.  Perhaps Wal-mart can make you something more simple?

Customer:  But Wal-mart said they couldn’t do it as quickly as I need it.

Baker: When and where is your wedding?

Customer: In 5 days, at the Tucson Ranch Resort.

Baker: Tucson, Arizona?

Customer:  Yes?

Baker:  Get out.

Customer: But-

Baker: Just go.

Customer:  Fine, I’ll just have my cousin make it.  She just finished the Wilton Course One at Michaels. 

I CANNOT wait to get home to watch this!!!!!!!!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 31 May 2013 , 6:32pm
post #1280 of 3221

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

The bottled version just brings the mix closer to its professional 'just add water' cousin.

costumeczar Posted 31 May 2013 , 6:59pm
post #1281 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I have been told that originally cake mix was add water only, but homemakers didn't feel like they were baking with that kind of mix, so the formula was altered to add the egg and oil...

Ah, interesting! And vgcea, I didn't know that the professional version is "just add water." So how long until people who use the shake-it-up cupcake mix start saying that they're using professional methods?icon_rolleyes.gif

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 31 May 2013 , 7:11pm
post #1282 of 3221

AI love how this thread is taking soo many different twists and turns lol!!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 12:11am
post #1283 of 3221

A

Original message sent by ellavanilla

I thought of something this afternoon.

I cannot paint my toes. I mean, I CAN, but the result is so horrible, that I would only do it myself if I was desperate and even then it would only be with the lightest pink or beige, in order to hide the failure it would be, So a couple of times a month I go to the salon and pay someone $18 + tip to paint my toes. I have never said, "But a bottle of nail polish is only 7 bucks!" or "Can't you use the cheap polish and charge less?" 

I realize that my skills in this area are lacking, so I fork over the money, and I'm damned happy for it. 

I don't really have a problem with this from my clients, but I feel lousy for those who do, so why not look at their feet, next time, before you reply?

Love this!!!!!!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 12:26am
post #1284 of 3221

A

Original message sent by TSMarjorie

I met a guy a few years ago and I was interested in dating him.  He called me one day and asked if we could get together the next day.  I told him I was not available because I was making a wedding cake.  His response was "all day?".  I told him to hold on to that thought and hung up the phone. 

My kinda response! Love it!!!

Sweet_Cakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 12:57am
post #1285 of 3221

A

Original message sent by MissMona

Okay, I've got a good one for y'all, I had forgotten about this!!!  A couple of years ago I was having lunch with a very good friend, a wedding planner.  Just after we placed our order my phone rings and an unfamiliar number pops up.  I excuse myself and take the call, thinking it's a potential client.   It's a man asking if I can do a cake for his parents 50th anniversary.  He gives me the date and such and we start to discuss his ideas.  He's telling me they are kinda "old Hippies" and he would love to do something along those lines.  He begins to explain that they smoke medicinal marijuana....and what could we do with that????  :o Then he just has the most brillant idea!!!!  He could bring me some and I could bake it into the cake for them!!!!!  8O   He's talking about how he works in the same town I'm in and could easily drop it off to me.....I WAS FREAKING OUT!!!!!!   Then he asks me something about my lunch companion....I was reeling.....and I was like, "What?"....I look up and she's DYING LAUGHING!!!! :?

OMG!  Thank God for pranks!!!!  I just KNEW the DEA was hovering nearby to get me or something!!!! LOL!!!! 

Yep. She would have been dead....or I would finish what she started....something that involves the word moist? #prankwar

SweetMcD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMcD Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 5:12am
post #1286 of 3221

I joined CC a few months ago, but this is the first time I've ever commented on a thread. I'm getting my ducks in a row to open my cake business and all I can say is I'm very glad I found this thread. It's really helped prepare me for the "big, bad real world."

Thanks for the laughs and for helping toughen me up a bit!thumbs_up.gif

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 9:17am
post #1287 of 3221

Cake decorating shops in Australia sell mixes for mud cakes, red velvet cakes etc that you just add water to, unless they have changed in the last few years.  Recently at a conference we were given free samples of a red velvet cake.  There was no way known I was wasting good calories eating it all at home so I made it up and took it to my knitting group.  I thought it was absolutely gross and had a real chemical flavour but they all loved it.  Does that mean I'm a professional now?

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1288 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Cake decorating shops in Australia sell mixes for mud cakes, red velvet cakes etc that you just add water to, unless they have changed in the last few years.  Recently at a conference we were given free samples of a red velvet cake.  There was no way known I was wasting good calories eating it all at home so I made it up and took it to my knitting group.  I thought it was absolutely gross and had a real chemical flavour but they all loved it.  Does that mean I'm a professional now?

What, because you made a mix with water, or because you can tell the difference between good cake and chemical goo? thumbs_up.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:18pm
post #1289 of 3221

How about this.  Can you put a lot of sugar diamonds on the sides of my wedding cake in August's heat while the cake swims in sweat from being taken out of the fridge and hitting the hot summer air?  Oh sure, they should stick beautifully to dripping fondant and melt.........................nahhhh, don't worry about it - all that water won't harm the sugar diamonds.  Sigh.........................

costumeczar Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 2:27am
post #1290 of 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

How about this.  Can you put a lot of sugar diamonds on the sides of my wedding cake in August's heat while the cake swims in sweat from being taken out of the fridge and hitting the hot summer air?  Oh sure, they should stick beautifully to dripping fondant and melt.........................nahhhh, don't worry about it - all that water won't harm the sugar diamonds.  Sigh.........................

I once had a MOB call me and say that her daughter wanted an ice cream cake at her beach wedding. When I started laughing hysterically she said "I need you to tell her that, she won't listen to me!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%