Agbay Cake Leveler Or Not?

Decorating By DiddleMeSweet Updated 7 Aug 2016 , 5:22pm by Marian64

IHeartCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCupcakes Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 11:38pm
post #31 of 89

I am also a hobby baker and I hate spending unnecessary money. I got the junior and I LOVE IT!!!  It's money well spent. Go for it!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:03am
post #32 of 89

AYes, you do, if you level and torte. If you don't torte, you don't need it. It doesn't smush, you saw with it.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 12:08am
post #33 of 89

I love mine. 

Melissa

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Apr 2013 , 1:06am
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitabonita 

When you purchase the large single one...does it come with a sceond blade or do you have to purchase it?  Also does it cut 2 levels at the same time?  Doesnt is "smusch" the cake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitabonita 

Do you use the double blades at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Yes, you do, if you level and torte. If you don't torte, you don't need it. It doesn't smush, you saw with it.

Sorry, I didn't see the post between these posts and mine, I just wanted to tie them all together ;-)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 2:28am
post #35 of 89

Agbay cake leveler or not?  YES.  I just ordered one.  After making my first buttercream wedding cake using a newly purchased 'Wilton' 3 tier cake stand......well.....the top tier looks lopsided in the photo.

I was sure that the cake was level, but now I'm think I must have been blind or something.

So as a hobby baker, I broke with some change and ordered an 'Agbay' leveler..  There will be a lot of work ahead - for me to make nicer cakes, but at least they will start out level - level - level.

MBalaska Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 10:51pm
post #36 of 89

HUMPDAY....... I feel like that camel celebrating 'humpday' at work.  The Agbay cake leveler just arrived last night.  WOOOHOOOO.   No more humpday on my cakes.

my icing skills will still be the same, but at least I'll get a decent start with level cakes.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 11:12pm
post #37 of 89

AI just wept with excitement looking at this lovely knife contraption. I actually need it. Now to weigh up whether I need to buy a decent camera and back screen or this lovely precise cutting tool.

Not Just Baking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Not Just Baking Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:44am
post #38 of 89

I made a wedding cake 4 tiers 3 layers yesterday and became so frustrated with the Wilton levelers(I have both) and thought I am going to have to buy a Agbay after doing my research on the product. I must say also, i watched her video on the Agbay Double Blade and became very intimidated as i am unsure how to use both blades at once. I want the best and I know I want beautiful perfect level cakes. Any suggestions on which one to buy starting off? I intend to use it regularly as I have launched a business doing what I love, baking cakes.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:10am
post #39 of 89

AAgbay all the way baby...love it ...now we torte and fill every cake...not just an occasional one.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:24am
post #40 of 89

2 blades are just as easy to use as one.  You just slide the blades to the height you want and cut the same as if you had one blade in, except that you end up with 3 layers of cake instead of 2.  If you don't want to use both blades on your cake you just slide the top blade up out of the way.  It is exceptionally easy and a dream to use.  Not intimidating at all when you have it in front of you.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine.

Not Just Baking Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:08am
post #41 of 89

Thank you so the double blade it will be! Im trusting you when u say not imtimidating when ies in my hand!

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 20 May 2014 , 10:40am
post #42 of 89

AThe bread knife is fine. At the CIA class, she taught the same trick I use when trimming pottery. Lock your elbow when slicing across. Move from that locked elbow. And start by slicing a bit, turning, slicing, turning, etc, until you are all the way through.

I can justify the price of a Kitchen Aid. I can't justify the price of the Agbay when I can do it so easily myself. Best, Nancy

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:14pm
post #43 of 89

AI have the regular size double bladed Agbay leveler. Best purchase ever.

pookashnoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookashnoo Posted 26 May 2014 , 6:07pm
post #44 of 89

I can't really contribute to this conversation (yet) but I just bought one today. I've wanted one for ages and I'm so so so excited to try it!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 26 May 2014 , 6:32pm
post #45 of 89

Congratulations! you won't make another cake without it; I bought one last year and love it. Be careful though, it's very very sharp - I've had to have stiches. Don't let that put you of though, just be super careful,I can't praise it enough it's wonderful plus Maureen is a total sweetheart if you need to email her about anything.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2014 , 8:14pm
post #46 of 89

ASeriously once you have used an Agbay, you'll never know how you caked without it. And I say that as a culinary school trained pastry chef with a superb set of knives.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 3:19am
post #47 of 89

Do they have parts to sell? My husband bought me an agbay as an anniversary present several years ago. I love it! But I don't use it as often as some people on here use there's. I use mine about 4 times per month. Anyway, the little wing nut-like part on the right side that adjusts the height of the bottom blade just cracked and fell off the  other day. Now its just the small head of the screw sitting there and I have to use pliers to tighten in and adjust it since I can't get a good grip on that tiny screw head. Anyone knows if the sell parts? Thanks.

leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 4:46am
post #48 of 89

AJust contact Maureen through the website. She'll get the part for you.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 6:11pm
post #49 of 89

Thanks Leah! I did this morning and she already got back to me ready to put the part in the mile. The best product with the best costumer service! Doesn't get better than that. Now if only other businesses could model themselves after Agbay!

leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 10:48pm
post #50 of 89

Agreed.  They have the best product PLUS the best customer service of ANY company I've ever dealt with.  

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 12:30pm
post #51 of 89

ASold! After 45 minutes of torting and leveling a 4 tier wedding cake with tooth picks and a bread knife and still having it a little wonky, I am over it. I'm ordering it today. Leah_s, you sold me!

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 1:03pm
post #52 of 89

AAnd the next time you need to torte and level a four tier cake it will take about four minutes. And be perfect.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 1:10pm
post #53 of 89

You will want to hug your Agbay--but don't, too sharp. 

Not Just Baking Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 9:15pm
post #54 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokazodo 

Sold! After 45 minutes of torting and leveling a 4 tier wedding cake with tooth picks and a bread knife and still having it a little wonky, I am over it. I'm ordering it today. Leah_s, you sold me!

That is exactly why I ordered my Agbay. I was so upset spending about an hour trying to evenly torte and level a 4 tier 3 layer wedding cake in May and still having some uneven layers, I told myself never again" and bought the Agbay Double Blade Cake Leveler that cuts up to 20 inches across. I have had it for about 2 weeks and will get to use it this weekend.I am so excited. Go Team Agbay! LOL.

Not Just Baking Posted 30 Jun 2014 , 9:22pm
post #55 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addictive_desserts 

Where do you buy it from?

Go to the Agbay Website. I don't think you can purchase it from anywhere else but I could be wrong.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 12:47am
post #56 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

And the next time you need to torte and level a four tier cake it will take about four minutes. And be perfect.

Yes leah_s, you are quite right. Oh my gosh, the time it saved! I did 4 layers in less the 2 minutes! 

And talk about customer service! Maureen called me about a mix up on my address and we chatted for almost 20 minutes. She was giving me little tips and pointers about using the Agbay leveler. I've used it twice so far, I get to use it tomorrow and I am already loving the way it tortes and levels. 

A worthy investment indeed! 

leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 2:41am
post #57 of 89

:-)

Maureen is the best.  
Agbay customer service is the best.  

The product is the best.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 1:45am
post #58 of 89

In one of the Agbay videos she showed leveling the top and removing that crust. Which I always do with a serrated edged bread knife. But then she turned it over and removed the bottom crust as well. Have any of you done this? I would fear it would lessen the stability of the cake layers unless it was a dense cake like say a pound cake. Do any of you remove both the top and bottom crust? And one more question. All of the cakes she shows in her videos are 3" tall. I will have to order new pans as all of mine are 2" tall or deep. Can the leveler be used in the same way for a 2" tall cake? If you cut the top crust off wouldn't you then have a 1 3/4" cake layer?  I have ordered the single blade Agbay that can be converted to a 2 blade later on. It should be delivered Wednesday and although I am excited I am also nervous about cutting myself. I will be extra careful using it.

MBalaska Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:09am
post #59 of 89

@ShirleyW ‍  I see my post above that I bought the Agbay 3 years ago.  I bought the big one, and it really is too big for a home hobby baker.  If you're making mostly 12 inch cakes and smaller then you don't need the monster big one. I agree that the lady who runs the business is really fabulous. 

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 2 Aug 2016 , 2:23am
post #60 of 89

I don't personally level our cakes I bake them and then hand them off for my husband he can level cakes in no time at all but has been saying for quite some time he doesn't like using the knife on the larger cakes 12" and up. We've never had a cake that wasn't level so me being a penny pincher and not the one who actually has to level them I'm torn on buying an agbay lol. We typically don't do cakes larger than a 16" we have limited space (our commercial kitchen area is not very big) which option would likely be best for us? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%