How Do You Clean Your Decorating Tips?

Decorating By Jessicakes831 Updated 29 Dec 2011 , 12:36am by poohsmomma

Jessicakes831 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicakes831 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 4:52am
post #1 of 17

Mine always stay greasy and if I use soap, it's hard to get it all out. What do you all do?

16 replies
MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:26am
post #2 of 17

First I use a small tip on a baby bottle brush dipped in diluted dishwashing liquid to push out all the extra frosting. Then I put all the tips in a tempered (to withstand the heat) measuring cup, place in my sink, and then pour BOILING water in to fill it up. If there is any leftover crisco/butter in the tips, you can see it liquify and come to the top. I pour out the first measuring of water, and then fill up with another cup of boiling water and let sit for a while and then rise and dry them.

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:03am
post #3 of 17

I run them under hot what then put them in a coffee cup filed with water and microwave them for a while to get the rest of the grease off.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:30am
post #4 of 17

I bought a set of tips once that came with a brush to clean the tips. Try and find a super small brush with wire bristles.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 17

An easy way to remove the 'plug' of icing left in tips is to take a toothpick and hold it tight against one side while turning the tip then just pull it out. The whole plug of icing will come out so you can throw it in the trash.
This helps clean the tip while keeping all that grease from going down the drain.
Now Soak the tips in very HOT, soapy water just until the water cools enough to touch, then rinse in hot water w/a bit of white vinegar in it.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 17

I have an 8 cup large pyrex glass bowl with a handle. At the end of the day of decorating, I put all my tips and any other items that will fit in it and fill it with water. Microwave on hig for 10 minutes and they come clean. I also fill it with just plain water, microwave on high for 10 minutes then pour it into my plastic bowls - great way to get rid of that greasy feeling.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 17

All these are good ways to clean tips, but I've found that whatever I do, the best thing is to put a little vinegar in the rinse water, like kakeladi said. That way you don't have to worry about any leftover grease in the tip the next time you want to pipe royal icing.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 17

I throw mine in the dishwasher......... no muss, no fuss...... NO GREASY mess ........

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 17

I purchased a small sauce pan at a thrift store, just for boiling my tips. As I am cleaning up my mess, I cut the tips out of the disposable pastry bags and put them directly into the sauce pan. I cover the tips with water and bring to a boil. I dump them into a strainer and boil again. I do this again, only this time, I add a drop of dish washing liquid to the water. (This must be watched, it will boil over quickly) I dump through a strainer, and boil one more time with clear water and boil on last time. When they are done, I strain and pour them out on a clean dish towel. The heat from boiling makes them dry almost immediately. No grease!

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 17

I too soak the tips in very hot soapy water (usually Dawn dish soap) and wipe dry.

Metal tips in the microwave? ImageImage

Jessicakes831 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicakes831 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 17

Great suggestions! Thank you! But isn't it a problem putting the metal tips in the microwave?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 17

I push the icing out with my finger and toss them in a bowl of hot water then blast Hot water into the bowl with my pre-rinse sprayer.

Lucyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucyem Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 17

I could never seem to get the grease off until i bought dawn. Some dish detergents are just not as good with grease. Now i fill a cup with hot tap water and dawn and toss in tips as i go. When i am ready to wash they clean right up. I do have one of the tiny tip brushes which does help especially with the tiny tips.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicakes831

Great suggestions! Thank you! But isn't it a problem putting the metal tips in the microwave?

You just have to make sure they are completely covered in water, and in a microwave proof bowl. Nothing bad happens, no sparks or anything icon_wink.gif

Allie06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allie06 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 17

I have a friend who prefers to scrub her tips with the little brush, works for her. I put all my tips and couplers in a mesh baggie I bought, let it soak in hot water, and when I am ready to turn my dishwasher on, put the baggie on the top rack, clean tips every time! =) oh and I and a Dawn soap person!!! gets the grease!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicakes831

You just have to make sure they are completely covered in water, and in a microwave proof bowl. Nothing bad happens, no sparks or anything icon_wink.gif

That doesn't mean that it won't burn out your microwave though...

I'm in the dishwasher camp - I can't believe how many of you spend so much time ans effort washing tips - that's SLEEPING time! icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 12:36am
post #17 of 17

I'm with grama_j...I throw them in the dishwasher!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%