Please Help! Yellowed Royal Icing

Decorating By Sassyzan Updated 1 Jan 2012 , 7:17pm by sleepiesaturn

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 6

making cookies, last minute order for friend of a friend. I made adorable santas wi fluffy white beards and came downstairs this morning and they are all yellowed around the edges! Not terrible, but noticeable, ESP to me since I saw them when they were perfectly white. Should I remake these? Would you? Do you think they will continue to get worse? Kneed 4 dozen cookies, and at least 2, maybe even 3 dozen of them have the white on them.

Advice? Thoughts? ThNks!!!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 6

Can't say for sure but I bet the problem is the oil/butter in the cookies. Sorry I don't know how to prevent or if you should do over. I probably would leave it and say he's an OLD beared man icon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 6

If it's really bothering you I would load up a bag full of white icing and just do a quick swirl on each beard. Would make it look nice and fluffy. Or cut out additional beards and apply over the others. I can't imagine what made them yellow. If you made the fondant yourself out of marshmallows perhaps you got the marshmallows that weren't quite white to begin with. Kraft has the whitest and sometimes I need to add Wilton Whitener to it to kick it up a notch.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, I just reread your request - slower this time. Yes the royal absorbed oils from the cookie - discoloring it.. Not too much you can do - if you overcoat it with white buttercream the oils in the buttercream will break down the royal. Royal and oil doesn't mix.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 6

I would just go over the white parts again. Do you add white dye to your white icing?

sleepiesaturn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepiesaturn Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 6

Definitely butter from the cookie. Don't know if this will help but I heard a touch of blue...and I mean a tiny dot...will help with any yellow colors to make them more white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%