The Next Great Baker 2......so Confused

Lounge By Ashleyssweetdesigns Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm by CWR41

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 3:35pm
post #121 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljslight

I think Buddy sent Megan home because she is with child. After all next week they have to carry huge
flour sacks in a race.

I also think she proved herself to be a weak link, playing stupid all the time can backfire, people believe you!!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:23pm
post #122 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljslight

I think Buddy sent Megan home because she is with child. After all next week they have to carry huge
flour sacks in a race.

I think so too, but Megan isn't pregnant... it's Heather.

petiterouge42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petiterouge42 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:45pm
post #123 of 158

I cannot believe the challenges this season. Now the losers from the challenge get the benefit of being the team leaders?? (which is an advantage since Buddy is using the fact that he wants a leader and not a follower as an excuse to get rid of a lot of the people lately)

It is clear that Buddy sent Heather home because she was pregnant, since they didn't want to change their plans for the next episode. I think she lacked in some of the challenges, but not nearly to the extent that Melo did.

I honestly hope that this is the last season of this show, and if it's not it's definitely the last one I will be watching. I can't even watch Cake Boss anymore. I used to "put up" with the drama just to see the cakes they come up with- but I can't even do that anymore. I've had some of my friends tell me that I could be the next cake boss when I started making cakes as a hobby, and I know they meant it as a compliment because that was the only cake decorator they knew of off hand, but I completely do not want to be compared to that man, or his bakery in any way shape or form.

petiterouge42 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:47pm
post #124 of 158

I cannot believe the challenges this season. Now the losers from the challenge get the benefit of being the team leaders?? (which is an advantage since Buddy is using the fact that he wants a leader and not a follower as an excuse to get rid of a lot of the people lately)

It is clear that Buddy sent Heather home because she was pregnant, since they didn't want to change their plans for the next episode. I think she lacked in some of the challenges, but not nearly to the extent that Melo did.

I honestly hope that this is the last season of this show, and if it's not it's definitely the last one I will be watching. I can't even watch Cake Boss anymore. I used to "put up" with the drama just to see the cakes they come up with- but I can't even do that anymore. I've had some of my friends tell me that I could be the next cake boss when I started making cakes as a hobby, and I know they meant it as a compliment because that was the only cake decorator they knew of off hand, but I completely do not want to be compared to that man, or his bakery in any way shape or form.
thumbsdown.gif

petiterouge42 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:50pm
post #125 of 158

thumbsdown.gif

petiterouge42 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 4:53pm
post #126 of 158

thumbsdown.gif

petiterouge42 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 5:41pm
post #127 of 158

Can I just say, do any of them know how to use an airbrush? They made a big deal out of saying only so and so could make the fondant the right color, but since they were making the whole tier a solid color- they could have saved a lot of time by just airbrushing it.

thumbsdown.gif

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 5:44pm
post #128 of 158

It really seems to me that Buddy likes to set people up to fail. He tends to pick one person and is determined to make that person look bad. In this case it was Melo. Melo even said at the beginning of the episode that Buddy would tear him apart because he does constantly anyways. He's lucky he didn't go home, but I would bet that next week Buddy will be after him.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 6:35pm
post #129 of 158

Buddy's a smart $%@ know it all....... This is no offense to anyone on there, but they'll never have a contestant on the show who can out decorate Buddy. He'll never allow it. The show is about Buddy, not the next great baker. He doesn't want anyone to upstage him. Let's take Jay Quiles (spelling) from last year. Have any of you seen the most recent issue of Southern Weddings? Jay has several cakes in that issue and they are wonderful! But did Jay really and truely have a chance under Buddy? NO......why? Because Jay is probably a better all around decorator than Buddy. Buddy might be able to pipe, but he has the rest of his crew taking care of everything else. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 7:12pm
post #130 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Buddy's a smart $%@ know it all....... This is no offense to anyone on there, but they'll never have a contestant on the show who can out decorate Buddy. He'll never allow it. The show is about Buddy, not the next great baker. He doesn't want anyone to upstage him. Let's take Jay Quiles (spelling) from last year. Have any of you seen the most recent issue of Southern Weddings? Jay has several cakes in that issue and they are wonderful! But did Jay really and truely have a chance under Buddy? NO......why? Because Jay is probably a better all around decorator than Buddy. Buddy might be able to pipe, but he has the rest of his crew taking care of everything else. Of course, this is just my opinion.

It is my opinion as well. Jay is so good! Buddy is intimidated!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 10:56pm
post #131 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

I think this is a very accurate description of what is going on.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 11:58am
post #132 of 158

Again, IMO Buddy is a smug, arrogant jack***, and he sure proved it again on the last episode. I found it laughable when after the piping challenge, when , he was done with his cake, he dropped the bag and said, "there, that's how its done". His piping work was laughable! Crooked and droopy, and just pretty much sucked. I would have been mortified if that was my wedding cake and it was delivered looking like that. I would have expexted them to at least show us the "good side". He was in no position to criticize the other work! Again, IMO

cakemama22 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:18pm
post #133 of 158

There needs to be a "next great baker" without Buddy. Just a whole new competition show thats not be hosted by someone on an ego trip.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 8:27pm
post #134 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama22

There needs to be a "next great baker" without Buddy. Just a whole new competition show thats not be hosted by someone on an ego trip.

hahahahha! I bet that would go over like a lead balloon, with Buddy, but I may watch it. I have no idea why the show is even called that. They are all great decorators, going by their portfolios. Baking isn't really much of the challenge, compared to the decorating. And Buddy doesn't bake, the two cute-ish ones are the bakers (and they are the only thin people in the whole shop, so what does that say about the food? hmm....) I know when I got good at baking my own cakes, I got plumb FAT! I just can't keep my fingers out of my cake scraps.

I'd like to see him do all he does with actual cake, not rice crispies. Cake is a lot less forgiving. And where is the moisture? Can anyone of you guys toss a cake like they do? Mine would shatter! Did you see Mauro flipping that half sheet after it was torted? It was positively rubbery. I pick mine up with a half sheet sized piece of cardboard to keep them from turning in to crumbs and freeze them for about half an hour.

And Buddy isn't about going it well, he is about doing it FAST! It is a glorified grocery store bakery set in it's own separate building.

petiterouge42 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 9:04pm
post #135 of 158

A couple weeks ago when the group did the DJ cake, Buddy had made a comment about loving clean work, and how that cake was so pristine as far as clean work goes- then the camera's zoom in and you see cracked fondant, sloppy corners- it was absolutely not clean work. I guess Buddy considers it clean work because that's as clean as his work gets too- his fondant is often cracking and sloppy. The only clean work on the cakes come from the other decorators that work for him.

Buddy's piping is very fast, and a bit on the sloppy side. He did a cake on his show with red stenciling, and the stencil work was SO runny and smudged I would have been embarrassed to send that to a client, and it was for a wedding. I love how all of the contestants say how they learned so much from him. I wonder if they are saying that to kiss up to Buddy and try and stay on the show, or if they are serious; because if they are serious I find that very laughable.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 10:22pm
post #136 of 158

This is way off subject here....but has anyone tasted any cakes from Buddy's business...Carlo's Bakery? I wonder how they taste. icon_rolleyes.gif

IvyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IvyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 11:50pm
post #137 of 158

From what I've seen on online reviews his goods taste just like any other run of the mill bakery but cost 2x as much. Sometimes dry, sometimes good, hit or miss and a lot of hype! He probably had better quality control before they exploded from the publicity. @_@

I've only seen the first episode, it made me so upset I was spitting mad for a week. The whole ice skating preview... I mean my God, on what planet would a person go out on SKATES to deliver a cake. non-slip shoes are allowed on the ice if there's no way to avoid it at least. Just.. ALSKDFJASKLDJFASD ARRRRRRGE! I'm just so happy there's this thread. I'd Google his show after getting upset over sloppy work, and you never find anyone saying a single bad word about it. Made me think I was the crazy one!

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 11:37am
post #138 of 158

WOW, lets beat up the Boss! LOL. I like Buddy. Do I agree with him all the time? NO. But I like to watch his show. I think the wrong people are being sent home on the next great baker. I agree his head is a little too big some times. But I like him. His sisters I would have to strangle!

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:01am
post #139 of 158

re: Buddy and piping.... his piping is always the same- the same drop string pattern every time, the same C-border. It was pretty much the same last season when they did that challenge too. And why does he choose to have his bag SO FULL when working on details?

I saw on a Cake Boss special once a 'behind the scenes' at the new Lackawanna facility. There is a whole studio set up there for the Next Great Baker. I wonder if TLC footed the bill for that or if he invested in it himself. I can't see this show lasting all that long- is it popular?

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:42am
post #140 of 158

Kellbella, I have tasted cupcakes from Buddy's bakery. I was visiting the Pompeii exhibit in NYC last June, and there was a little Carlo's Bakery cafe' in the same building. (It may have been called Cake Boss cafe', I can't remember exactly.) I actually thought the cupcake itself was pretty good; it reminded me of bakery birthday cakes from when I was a kid. The icing was cold, though, so it was pretty hard and not creamy at all. Not worth it for $4, but I had to try it.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:19pm
post #141 of 158

No comments on the last ep? When Megan and Melo both mentioned how little experience they had, it explained a lot. I think Megan said she'd started doing cakes only a year prior. I imagine all those contestants have comparable experience.

I liked the idea of the 'triathlon' but instead of running bags of sugar around, I wished they'd done more practical events. The tray of cupcakes works... but how about decorating 6 or 8 cakes to look exactly the same. Creating lots of sugar flowers, etc.

I work at a high volume bakery- for a while we got 100lb bags of flour but people complained so now we get the 50lb bags. It was never explicitly defined but it's generally accepted that the men take care of hauling them around. I certainly never have and no one will ever expect me too. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it past that portion of the event.

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:50pm
post #142 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrainis

No comments on the last ep? When Megan and Melo both mentioned how little experience they had, it explained a lot. I think Megan said she'd started doing cakes only a year prior. I imagine all those contestants have comparable experience.

I liked the idea of the 'triathlon' but instead of running bags of sugar around, I wished they'd done more practical events. The tray of cupcakes works... but how about decorating 6 or 8 cakes to look exactly the same. Creating lots of sugar flowers, etc.

I work at a high volume bakery- for a while we got 100lb bags of flour but people complained so now we get the 50lb bags. It was never explicitly defined but it's generally accepted that the men take care of hauling them around. I certainly never have and no one will ever expect me too. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it past that portion of the event.

I think most people have stopped watching. I certainly have.

He made girls move bags??? No freaking way!!! They shouldve done what you suggested. And yes, when I worked at a bakery, there were no men there, but the owner (who may have been corn- fed, farm stock and was huge and muscled) or the delivery men set the 50 lb bags in place. Sometimes the FedEx guy would move stuff for us toothumbs_up.gif

At my bakery, it is my husband who takes care of ALL my heavy lifting, and he has a full time job doing other stuff. He even puts our toddler to bed every night, he weighs 44 lbs, and still sleeps in his crib, so it is hard for me. It is just polite and considerate. Buddy is rude! I bet his sisters were like WTH? That he had girls move bags.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 4:24pm
post #143 of 158

I still watch... I am actually enjoying it a heck of a lot more this year then I was last year.

OK, the bridezilla episode... I though was pretty awesome. But I found myself screaming at the TV (at least in my head) all the cool stuff I would have been able to do based on the crazy "consultation". One thing I HATE is topsy turvy cakes made on an armature like that, I think it looks like @ss. It's an illusion, people! Stop trying to show off with using all that plastic on such a small cake! I did not agree with who won, that dude is a jerk.

I agreed with sending pregnant woman home. She wasn't just a little pregnant, she was a lot pregnant... and just having a baby myself I know what my limitations were at 7 -8 months. No way could I work 9-10-12 hours straight under that kind of pressure. I think it was cool that the producers didn't boot her as soon as they found out she was preggers and let her go as far as she did.

This week, moving the bags of flour like that was completely lame. But totally awesome that whats-her-name won. I like her!

So now it's the almost the end... place your bets people! Who do you think it going to win????

I'm going with dark haired girl.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 4:24pm
post #144 of 158

I thought it was rude also. I think that is why Heather G was kicked off. She would not have been able to do the heavy lifting and running in her shape. She could have hurt the baby.
If you want to see lifting Buddy could look at them lifting their cakes!

cakemama22 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 5:23pm
post #145 of 158

Even Buddy didn't do his own heavy lifting when he had his hernia or whatever. It just really pissed me off that he was sitting there watching them struggle and kill themselves with those heavy bags and he's laughing and taunting them ("oh, c'mon gotta go faster than that. She's beating you, are you gonna let her beat you"). I really would love to see someone give him a good slap.

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 5:36pm
post #146 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama22

Even Buddy didn't do his own heavy lifting when he had his hernia or whatever. It just really pissed me off that he was sitting there watching them struggle and kill themselves with those heavy bags and he's laughing and taunting them ("oh, c'mon gotta go faster than that. She's beating you, are you gonna let her beat you"). I really would love to see someone give him a good slap.

Hear! Hear!!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 8:42pm
post #147 of 158

I actually think Chad is going to win. I don't like him at all and definitely don't think he's among the most talented but basically that's what Buddy wants - someone who won't out shine him and will do as he is told, that's why he's still there when he should have gone weeks ago.

I also agree with Annabakes post from last week about how rubbery the cakes look. How DO they toss them up in the air like that and they don't break????

enchantedcreations Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 8:46pm
post #148 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

I actually think Chad is going to win. I don't like him at all and definitely don't think he's among the most talented but basically that's what Buddy wants - someone who won't out shine him and will do as he is told, that's why he's still there when he should have gone weeks ago.

I also agree with Annabakes post from last week about how rubbery the cakes look. How DO they toss them up in the air like that and they don't break????

I also think a "man" will win because Buddy is all about the "boy's club"........ (just MO) and as far as the cakes go, they may not be the real deal; they may be working with the fake cake bake stuff. Since the reality of it is they're there under those lights and cameras for much longer than we really see. All those cakes get tossed.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 9:52pm
post #149 of 158

I do wonder about how the handle those cakes. I can only think they are partially frozen. I know I have some heavier cakes that I can handle a little rougher then others, but not that rough. I didn't see the whole episode, but those challenges are way stupid.

enchantedcreations Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 9:57pm
post #150 of 158

When I said "tossed".. I meant into the garbage, not the air; LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%