The Next Great Baker 2......so Confused

Lounge By Ashleyssweetdesigns Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm by CWR41

Cakewishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakewishes Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:11pm
post #31 of 158

I also get disgusted about how they blow up the cakes or like last year, tossed it over a building. I mean c'mon - people are dying of hunger and you are just throwing out food. I think it's disrespectful. Also, the other thing that got to me about the first episode regarding the soldier (May he rest in peace), I understand he should have baked a recipe from scratch, but if he wasn't supposed to use a box mix, why were there box mixes in Buddy's kitchen???? Was that a set up or what??

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:18pm
post #32 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by petiterouge42

This show and have started to irritate me. It has become more about dramatics than cake. I also think it's funny that in the last episode Buddy chastised that one guy about his fairy being too manly (which it was a bit bulky) when the majority of his sculpted pieces are made by other decorators in the shop. I could be wrong, but the only small sculpted characters I recall him making are the princess ones from his daughters birthday in Disney, and those characters were a bit "bulky" as well.

I hope more episodes of Amazing Wedding Cakes, and Fabulous Cakes come back on- those shows depicted wonderful cake artists and their work (with just enough drama for fun).

I agree! I'm done with both of Buddy's shows and I am hoping they bring back Amazing Wedding Cakes and Fabulous Cakes SOON! I really miss those shows icon_sad.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:35pm
post #33 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewishes

I also get disgusted about how they blow up the cakes or like last year, tossed it over a building. I mean c'mon - people are dying of hunger and you are just throwing out food. I think it's disrespectful. Also, the other thing that got to me about the first episode regarding the soldier (May he rest in peace), I understand he should have baked a recipe from scratch, but if he wasn't supposed to use a box mix, why were there box mixes in Buddy's kitchen???? Was that a set up or what??

I think it's great - that "food" is not fit for consumption. They aren't wearing gloves. They are not wearing hair nets. They are sweating like pigs. They are using burnt cake, heavily colored crisco icing, and pounds and pounds of crispy treats. I posted this earlier, but here it is again...

"I know it seems like a good notion to give food, any food, to homeless shelters, but believe me, no homeless shelter or food bank would want 50 lbs of rice crispy treats. They won't even take left over cake. They want nutritious, unprepared or canned food. I know, I've contacted several shelters in my area (San Francisco = massive homeless population) to find one that would accept cake I have left over and I've been turned down by them all. The last thing they want to give someone that hasn't had a decent meal in weeks is a hand-full of sugar."

So blow it up, drop if off a building, or run it over with a steam roller. No problems here.

And yes, I think boxes of cake mix available was a set up.

cakemama22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama22 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 5:24pm
post #34 of 158

That's all I meant. Just a line in the credits out of respect.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 5:58pm
post #35 of 158

It takes a lot to re-edit a show to add something. It's unreasonable to expect TLC pull an completed episode the day it's supposed to air to do a re-edit to include an "in memory" bit at the end. It'll take a cut somewhere in the episode to put in that 15 seconds, an advertiser has to loose 15 seconds, or the following show has to loose 15 seconds. It is a big deal to do. Maybe next week's episode will have it, but I suspect they'll put something on the episode where he is sent home (whenever that is), and I bet that episode is being re-cut as we speak to make sure all respect is given to him (taking out rude comments about him or his work).

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:37pm
post #36 of 158

I don't think anyone is expecting TLC to edit an episode the day it's suppose to air... it's no emergency, especially since the finale episode was filmed on September 22, Wesley's incident happened end of October, and the new season aired end of November. They've had plenty of time to add a credit line, if they thought it was necessary at this time.

I don't expect any episode to be edited in any way out of respect--it is what it is, rude or not, if Buddy calls everyone the king of the stupids it should remain.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:41pm
post #37 of 158

Oh! I missed those dates. I though it just happened. Sorry, I stand corrected!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 7:31pm
post #38 of 158

Just joining the convo and may have missed something, but is the following correct:

1. Got kicked off for using cake mix?

2. Went home and (possibly) shot himself?

??

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 7:39pm
post #39 of 158

The Cake Boss is more of a reality show now. I want to watch cake decorating however boring that may be to some, not Buddy's wife getting an ultrasound.
thumbs_up.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 7:41pm
post #40 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Just joining the convo and may have missed something, but is the following correct:

??

Is that you Jamie??????

No, did NOT get kicked off for using cake mix. But he was browbeaten pretty well. Which was awesome.

Don't know circumstances of his death and google came up with noting for me.

AZCouture Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 7:43pm
post #41 of 158

Yikes. Poor guy. Hey J!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 7:45pm
post #42 of 158

[quote="joycesdaughter111"]The is more of a reality show now. I want to watch cake decorating however boring that may be to some, not Buddy's wife getting an ultrasound.
thumbs_up.gif[/quote

could not agree more, it's so scripted too. Such a shame it had such potential.

Cakewishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakewishes Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:48pm
post #43 of 158

FromScratchSF - I totally agree with you that the cakes that are the end results are not food for consumption considering all the unsanitary methods used when putting the cake together. I am more thinking about the eggs, flour, etc. used in these cakes that are used and wasted for these cakes that are just going to be destroyed. What's the purpose - really? For dramatic affect?? I guess for me personally, I think this show would be more enjoyable if it was a solid, not so many silly antics baking/decorating competition.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 10:59pm
post #44 of 158

There's a lot about these so-called true life reality shows that bother me..and smashing the cakes isn't one of them. You should go into these contests knowing full well you are being judged and conduct yourself appropriately and take the bad comments with the good - even if it's a smashed cake! That made me laugh.

But finding out one of the contestants is dead is quite disturbing to me, especially since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere but here on CC. I'm not saying pull the series but it's very disrepectful to me for it to go un-said. Even the Housewives show changed appropriately. What are they going to say when they tag a line at the end. Sorry, One of our contestants passed way before this series aired. I feel let down by this and this comes from someone who really enjoys the work Buddy's bakery and all their nutty Italian-ness puts out. (Yea I can say it because I am one!)

But my sympathies to his family.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 4:48pm
post #45 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf

There's a lot about these so-called true life reality shows that bother me..and smashing the cakes isn't one of them. You should go into these contests knowing full well you are being judged and conduct yourself appropriately and take the bad comments with the good - even if it's a smashed cake! That made me laugh.

But finding out one of the contestants is dead is quite disturbing to me, especially since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere but here on CC. I'm not saying pull the series but it's very disrepectful to me for it to go un-said. Even the Housewives show changed appropriately. What are they going to say when they tag a line at the end. Sorry, One of our contestants passed way before this series aired. I feel let down by this and this comes from someone who really enjoys the work Buddy's bakery and all their nutty Italian-ness puts out. (Yea I can say it because I am one!)

But my sympathies to his family.

Actually, the casting company that casts for the show mentioned it on their Facebook page. When the first episode aired, they said "RIP" and his name (which, sadly, I've forgotten at the moment and don't feel like looking it up). That's what caused me to do a Google search and research it. I'm sure something might be said on the episode when he leaves. Maybe. Or sadly maybe TLC will just ignore it.

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:14pm
post #46 of 158

I've only watched the first episode and here is my question.

How easy is it to tell someone used cake mix. When I think of the WASC recipe, I don't see how you can write off using a cake mix so easily.

Secondly, it is seriously THAT easy to tell? If someone was test "eating" cakes and had no clue a cake mix was being used (obviously with other ingredients being used along with it) they would be able to tell?

AZCouture Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:57pm
post #47 of 158

I can tell by the smell of it before it even gets near my mouth. icon_sad.gif It just smells unappetizing to me, and WASC especially.

Alana7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alana7 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 2:22pm
post #48 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

??

He DID shoot himself.

http://www.jdnews.com/articles/dies-96664-gunshot-jacksonville.html

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 2:27pm
post #49 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmdesigner

How easy is it to tell someone used cake mix. When I think of the WASC recipe, I don't see how you can write off using a cake mix so easily.

Secondly, it is seriously THAT easy to tell? If someone was test "eating" cakes and had no clue a cake mix was being used (obviously with other ingredients being used along with it) they would be able to tell?

Yes, it really is that easy to tell. I know some people just don't want to believe that, but yes you can always tell. I've had some great box mix cakes, but I always knew they were from a box mix. Now there are some people who are just used to eating boxed mix cakes, so you can tell them it is from scratch and they wouldn't know the difference, cause it's just what they are used to.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 2:38am
post #50 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmdesigner

Yes, it really is that easy to tell. I know some people just don't want to believe that, but yes you can always tell. I've had some great box mix cakes, but I always knew they were from a box mix. Now there are some people who are just used to eating boxed mix cakes, so you can tell them it is from scratch and they wouldn't know the difference, cause it's just what they are used to.

Yep, the difference is very clear. I'm one of the few (I think few) who actually like both. It's not about one being nasty and the other tasting good, it's about texture. I can tell right away if a cake is from a mix but that doesn't mean I automatically won't like it. I think Buddy Valastro, who's been baking most of his life, would easily recognize a doctored cake mix from mile away.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:14pm
post #51 of 158

I actually like both as well, but prefer from scratch and that's why I bake from scratch. And I know everyone feels that a box mix is a guranteed cake, where as a cake from scratch may not always be guranteed, but that's not always true as well. I, for the first time, had the nastiest and driest cake from a mix at a party recently. And it came with a healthy dose of all shortening frosting. YUCK!

As for the show, all I can say is it is terrible. And I used to like Cake Boss and didn't mind all the crazy, but I am sorry, I think Buddy just acts a rude a$$ now.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:05pm
post #52 of 158

This show drives me crazy for so many reasons. For one thing- the name itself. Is this a competition to find a baker or a cake decorator? At every large bakery I've ever worked at, they were two distinctly separate positions and I believe it works that way at Carlo's as well. 2- they picked people who maybe have a little bit of skill (although no one knows basic piping??) but every challenge has been a train wreck. And in the last episode Buddy sent home the one contestant who showed any potential whatsoever. As mentioned upthread- the sweat, the lack of hygiene and gloves- is disgusting. At my bakery (and I'm sure most bakeries), we are consistently visited by the state health inspectors and if we did the things these decorators do, we'd be shut down immediately.
And really? A test to see who can stay in the freezer the longest? What does that have to do with anything??

The thing I hate the most about this show is that even though it drives me crazy, I can't seem to stop watching, even though I never watch Cake Boss.

Claire138 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:15pm
post #53 of 158

Akrainis - I'm the same! This show drives me crazy for all the above reasons and yet I always watch it.
I actually think that Buddy chooses someone with a basic talent but nothing that could possibly upstage him.
In season 1 I thought Megan should have won but I think her car cake was what ruined it for her, she was confident and knew what she was doing & Buddy basically needs everyone bowing down to him.
Of everything though the lack of basic hygiene is what gets to me, even on CakeBoss the standards are not what they should be. I don't wear gloves but I am one person, on this show there are so many people working on one cake without hair nets or gloves that I question how sanitary it can be.

cakemama22 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:12am
post #54 of 158

It really irks me how he says things like "I want to see a recipie we could use at Carlos". It makes it sound like he's going to take their recipies and sell them in his bakery for his own profit. Most of these people already have their own business and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate him stealing their creations.

Claire138 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 7:53am
post #55 of 158

Another thing I don't understand is that if some of them already have businesses and have been doing it for x amount of years, why do they go on this show? what do they gain? plus, if they win then what? they leave their own bakery to go and work for someone else?

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:06pm
post #56 of 158

For one thing, they win $100,000. I also don't think they are all that well established. I would think that the money coupled with the exposure they get from being on the show make it pretty worth while. As you can tell, their skills aren't all that great so I think working with Buddy temporarily must improve their abilities despite what opinion anyone has of him or the show.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:20pm
post #57 of 158

I can't seem to stop watching either. My 10 year old likes to watch it. She's loves to bake and decorate cakes so I've been using as a perfect example of what not to do lol.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:01pm
post #58 of 158

The show has been very careful to be deliberately vague on the whole "work alongside Buddy" aspect of the prize. It could be just for a day. I think they are there for the money and exposure.

I agree with the posters who've said Buddy doesn't want contestants that can upstage him. One of the few episodes of Cake Boss I've seen was where they were answering viewer questions and they had a contest for people- decorate a cake and whoever has the best can bake with Buddy for a day. There was a really great cake submitted that was overlooked in favor of a more mediocre cake. I guess he knew he had nothing to teach the better cake maker.

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:31pm
post #59 of 158

I have a couple of the episodes recorded and I am in no hurry to watch them. If it was Fabulous Cakes, I'd be watching them just as soon as I can. I'm guessing the ratings for his show is still high so it hasn't been pulled yet.

I went and saw Buddy when he was on tour. To me, it was more of comedic entertainment than about cake decorating. Looking back on it, I wished I had saved my money, though I did have a few laughs when he brought guys on the stage to see if they could decorate a cupcake. He did decorate a cake on stage and it was awful. I think he was trying to prove how fast he can decorate a cake. I'd rather be slow and it look good, than fast and sloppy.

Please bring back Fabulous Cakes!!!!! Is there a way we can tell the network we want the show back??

cakemama22 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 2:27pm
post #60 of 158

Personally I have no desire to work alongside Buddy. He thinks he's god's gift to cake decorating and his attitude pisses me off. I would however love to work with Ralph and some of his other decorators. Some of them are really good and could probably have a lot to teach me. Especially about sculpting icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%