How To Get This Shading/texture

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 12:12am by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 21

I told my sister I would make her wedding cake, and this is what she wants:

http://www.somethingsweetbymichelle.com/gallery.html#25

She really wants the background and brush embroidery to match as closely as I can.

I cannot figure out the coloring of the fondant. I just made a small fondant plaque (champagne color) and piped some embroidery on it. It's not the same. I'm seeing some pink hues in the original cake somewhere, but I'm not sure how it's achieved. Do you see multiple colors in the fondant? Or, is it just the brush embroidery that adds color?

I was thinking of brushing pink and gold luster dusts over the fondant before piping with pink and white royal icing.

Any ideas you have to help me get the look of this cake would be much appreciated.

20 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 21

this one, right?

not sure, but here's another picture I found of it that's a little closer up that might help us assess it:

metria Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 21

another picture:

metria Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 21

I think you're right ... there's more than one color of the base fondant. Perhaps they lightly airbrushed that darker hue unevenly? Then all over with a shimmer?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 21

Wow...you've got your work cut out for you! It looks to me like most of the shading is coming from the raised piping itself...but there also looks to be some light brown petal dusting here and there around parts of the 'embroidery' to highlight it a bit.

letsgetcaking Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 21

Thank you, Metria. Those pictures help a TON! I was having a really hard time understanding what was going on with those flowers. Now, it looks like it may be light brush embroidery in white, then outlined in very light pink.

Carmijok, thank you for the idea of the brown petal dust. I was seeing the brown, too, and had tried highlighting bits of the embroidery with a thin line of brown royal icing when I was practicing earlier today. It didn't look right at all. I'll try the dust.

I think this is going to involve a lot of trial and error. It didn't look too complicated when I first saw the picture. Champagne colored fondant with a little brush embroidery, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

I didn't notice this before, but underneath the picture, there is a description of the award this cake won:

Quote:
Quote:

After being selected by Brides Magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful Cakes in America , Michelle's cake was voted America's favorite by brides throughout the United States.

Maybe I bit off more than I can chew, but I'll give it my best shot. icon_smile.gif

Thank you both so much for your help!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 21

My vote is that the fondant is all one color.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 2:40am
post #8 of 21

I think it's one color too and that the lighting makes it look peachy/pink

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:06am
post #9 of 21

It does look like one color, airbrushed with pearl sheen and then the piping has a little bit of luster dust here and there. I'd try a deeper color than gold for the luster dust, maybe copper mixed with cantaloupe. That piping is going to be hard on your hands, by the time you're done with the whole cake. I've found that a fabric piping bag is more comfortable for big projects like that.

letsgetcaking Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 21

I'm going to stick with the solid champagne color brushed all over with luster dust. Thanks, everyone.

Would you mind looking at my attempt at the flowers? Here's a link:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2219502

I tried shading them a little with luster dust. (I didn't have copper, so I used gold luster dust mixed with cocoa powder).

Something is not quite right with this. Do you think the original cake is brush embroidered or not? What would you change to make it look closer to the original?

Thanks for any advice you can share.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 21

They used an ultra small tip - probably a "OO" from England. And I don't see any brushed embroidery but tiny piping. Get an OO and some Advil.

letsgetcaking Posted 30 Nov 2011 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

They used an ultra small tip - probably a "OO" from England. And I don't see any brushed embroidery but tiny piping. Get an OO and some Advil.

LOL! I think you're right, DeniseNH. I see that now. I don't have the time to order a tip and I don't have the time it would take to pipe all those tiny lines either. I'll figure something out. icon_smile.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 21

Well, the cake is finished. I decided to go with the brush embroidery and I attached the flowers directly to the cake and eliminated the branches. Here's a link if you want to see it. Thank you so much, everyone, for your help with this. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and my sister loved it!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2236139/champagne-brush-embroidery-wedding

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:11pm
post #14 of 21

Very nice job!!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 21

Well done!
I'm sure the bride was pleased. She has an amazingly talented sister. thumbs_up.gif

mommachris

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 21

Great job! That's one beautiful cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 21

Super job! Looks fabulous! icon_biggrin.gif

letsgetcaking Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:52pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks, guys!

Txmom72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Txmom72 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 21

That is a gorgeous cake! I need to find out how to do the brush embroidery.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 10:52pm
post #20 of 21

Wow you did an amazing job! It's stunning. I want to try brush embroidery one day.

letsgetcaking Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 12:12am
post #21 of 21

Here's a link to a video that helped me a lot when I was experimenting with the brush embroidery.

It's really a fun technique!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%