Browns

Decorating By wendydou Updated 14 Oct 2011 , 1:32am by kakeladi

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I have trouble with getting different shades of browns.. I usually use cocoa to make a decent brown, and that doesn't make a great brown but usable.. I need three shades to make a Chip and Dale cake.. I'm not quite sure how to do this.. I have Wilton and AMericolor dyes, but they never seem to get brown, more like a peachy color... I'd love ideas!!!!
Thanks!

2 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 3

Start with a chocolate frosting. Add brown color to darken some and vanilla butter cream to lighten. Dark colors darken as the sit so give them time to rest. Also Dutch processed cocoa (Hershey's dark choc cocoa for example) is much darker than regular cocoa.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2011 , 1:32am
post #3 of 3

If all you're getting is a peachy color you are not using near enough paste color.
For about 1/2 cup of white b'cream you need about 1/4 teaspoon of paste color.
To help thing along start by coloring your white icing to a *bright/deep* yellow, or orange, then add the brown color along with some cocoa. And making it at least the night before (or like 10 hrs before) and letting it sit to develope the color helps. Then when it is exposed to air on the cake it will get even more color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%