Need Ideas For Cake With Pumpkin Mousse Filling

Decorating By BizCoCos Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 1:06am by BizCoCos

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 2:38am
post #1 of 22

Hello CCers, I will be making a cake with 3 tiers for my sister's birthday in October. The bottom tier will be dark chocolate with raspberry mouse filling, the second layer will have a pumpkin mousse filling but I am at a loss as to what flavor to make the cake. I don't want apple or spice. I'm open to suggestions for the 3rd layer. Any ideas will be geatly appreciated.

21 replies
SarahMdr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahMdr Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:08am
post #2 of 22

Well, I just made a tier that was a pumpkin cake filled with a plain buttercream and then I flavored some of that with pumpkin puree and filled a layer with the pumpkin buttercream. Personally, I would be worried about a mousse holding up - but I normally fill with buttercream, that's just me! You could do a plain yellow cake and fill it with the pumpkin, or even a coffee or mocha cake sounds good to me icon_smile.gif Since it will be an October cake, you could also do a carrot cake w/ cream cheese filling. Have fun!!

Stacey75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacey75 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 22

Spice cake?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:28am
post #4 of 22

Vanilla Cinnamon cake

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #5 of 22

Caramel

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 22

Thank you for your responses, yes, I was going to do a buttercream dam for all of them, I like the vanilla cinnamon for the top tier they all sound good, now I have to find the recipes icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 22

I think if you want the pumpkin mousse to be the star, I'd do a plain yellow cake. The cinnamon vanilla cake sounds awesome tooicon_smile.gif

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 22

Check out Bunnywoman's pumpkin cake recipe over at the Wilton website. I haven't tried it yet (have it bookmarked though) but it has gotten rave reviews. You can find it under the recipe section on the first page (site is down for maint at the moment, however). HTH.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 22

Butterscotch Rum

2 pkg white cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 pkg butterscotch pudding
1 c vanilla coffee creamer - or creme brulee or caramel flavored.
1 c dark rum
2/3 c water
1 c sour cream

6 eggs
1/2 c butter
1 bag (12oz) butterscotch chips, melted and cooled
* Melt butter with chips, stir, cool, blend into batter.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 22

Caramel Cake - Macsmom

2 white cake mixes

2 c flour

1 1/2 t salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup caramel sauce (like ice-cream topping)
1-1/3 cup crème brulee coffee creamer
1-1/3 cup water
1 package butterscotch pudding
2 cups sour cream or 3 (6oz) containers creme brulee (or other caramel variety) yogurt.
7 eggs
1/3 c oil

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 22

Caramel Frappucino Cake - Laynie72

2 boxes of white cake mix
2 cups of flour ( I used cake flour)

½ t of salt
1 box of vanilla pudding
1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of cajeta (Mexican caramel found in Wal-Mart where the Mexican stuff is)
1½ cups of frapuccino mix ( from starbucks)
½ cup of milk
2 cups of sour cream
6 eggs
¼ cup of oil

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 22

Gingerbread - emiyeric "I made the gingerbread cake yesterday, following the suggestions by dandelion, GrandmaG and MacsMom - SO GOOD!!!
2 boxes white cake mix
2 c flour
2 tsp ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c molasses
1/4 t baking soda
1 pkg vanilla pudding (considered butterscotch, but figured I'd try that next time cheesecake pudding mix
1-1/2 t salt
2 c sour cream
6 eggs
1-1/3 cup Gingerbread creamer (though if all you've got is cinnamon bun creamer or something along those lines, I don't think you'd miss it)
1-1/3 cup water
1/4 c oil
2 t vanilla extract
2 t butter flavoring (or 1 dram LoRann butter)

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 22

Pumpkin Spice Cake w/ cinnamon cream cheese icing. - alexandrabill "my all-time favorite cake that I always make on my birthday."
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (or white)
1 package pumpkin pie pudding (found at Wal-Mart year round usually)
1 (15 ounce) can canned pumpkin puree
1-2 TB Pumpkin Pie Spice (I like alot so I just keep pouring it in)
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 cup liquid (I usually use milk or water and the amount is approximate.. it just thins up the batter a bit)
It's pretty dense/moist so I don't think you'd need to add the flour, sugar and sour cream called for in the wasc.

sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 22

Maple White Chocolate - MacsMom

2 white cake mixes

2 c flour

1-1/2 c sugar

1-1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup of maple syrup

8oz white baking chocolate, melted & slightly cooled. (Temper the chocolate by stirring in a small amount of the batter, then add the white chocolate to the entire batter and stir well.)

1-1/3 c water

1-1/3 c vanilla creamer

6 whole eggs

2 c sour cream

1/3 c oil

1 dram LoRann maple flavor
2 tsp vanilla
I just love this list of recipes someone posted awhile back.

diamonds-and-rust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamonds-and-rust Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 22

Wow, Sweettreat, thank you! Could you please specify the temp and pan sizes for the butterscotch rum cake?

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 22

thanks everyone for all these great ideas and recipes!

RheaCakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RheaCakeQueen Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:10pm
post #17 of 22

I love all the yummy cake recipes! By any chance would you share the pumpkin moose recipe?

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 22

this is one from cd kitchen by krabaisa
Spice Cake***
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses, PLUS
2 tablespoons dark molasses
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 pinch salt
2 large eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup water
***Pumpkin Mousse***
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
3 cups heavy cream
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup sugar

PREPARATION:

To make the cake, cream the brown sugar, molasses, butter, shortening and salt until well blended and light.

Blend in the eggs. Sift and add the flour, baking soda, 1 1/2 t. ginger, cloves and 1/2 t. nutmeg. Add the water.

Pour batter into a greased 11-inch-by-9-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the top comes out clean.

To make the mousse, combine the canned pumpkin, cinnamon, 3/4 t. ginger and 3/4 t. nutmeg. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the water and gelatin. Add 1/2 c. pumpkin mixture. Warm over low heat until gelatin is dissolved.

In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream. Fold in all of the pumpkin and gelatin mixtures.

Beat the eggs whites and sugar to soft peaks. Gently fold the whites into the pumpkin-cream mixture. Chill 2 hours before serving.

Serve the cake garnished with the pumpkin mousse.

This recipe from CDKitchen for Spice Cake And Pumpkin Mousse serves/makes 10

Recipe ID: 102299

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #19 of 22

this one from a site called no recipes yep, no recipes
for kabocha mousse
6 ounces kabocha pumpkin (green skinned Japanese pumpkin), peeled and cut into 2″ squares
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup mild honey
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon gelatin

To make the mousse, put the kabocha, water, sugar and honey in a pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork tender. When its done, turn off the heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer the pumpkin to a bowl and let it cool.

Add 2 tablespoons of water to a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. When the kabocha has cooled, pass it through a potato ricer twice so there are no lumps (you could also use a food processor. Measure out 1 packed cup of kabocha puree into a bowl.

Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and add the honey when the cream holds soft peaks. Continue beating until the cream holds stiff peaks. Heat the gelatin in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until the gelatin is melted, then pour the gelatin into the pumpkin mixture along with a few spoonfuls of whipped cream and and quickly stir it all together. The gelatin will help the whipped cream hold its loft after you mix it with the pumpkin. Dump the rest of the whipped cream into the kabocha mixture and gently fold it together.
recipes, if you can't find the kombacha use any firm pumpkin

BizCoCos Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 22

this one from a site called no recipes yep, no recipes I hope i copied it correctly
for kabocha mousse
6 ounces kabocha pumpkin (green skinned Japanese pumpkin), peeled and cut into 2″ squares
2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup mild honey
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon gelatin

To make the mousse, put the kabocha, water, sugar and honey in a pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork tender. When its done, turn off the heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer the pumpkin to a bowl and let it cool.

Add 2 tablespoons of water to a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. When the kabocha has cooled, pass it through a potato ricer twice so there are no lumps (you could also use a food processor. Measure out 1 packed cup of kabocha puree into a bowl.

Whip the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and add the honey when the cream holds soft peaks. Continue beating until the cream holds stiff peaks. Heat the gelatin in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until the gelatin is melted, then pour the gelatin into the pumpkin mixture along with a few spoonfuls of whipped cream and and quickly stir it all together. The gelatin will help the whipped cream hold its loft after you mix it with the pumpkin. Dump the rest of the whipped cream into the kabocha mixture and gently fold it together.
recipes, if you can't find the kombacha use any firm pumpkin

sweettreat101 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 7:26am
post #21 of 22

The Butterscotch Rum cake doesn't list the baking temp. I always bake at 325 even when it says 350.

BizCoCos Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:06am
post #22 of 22

I baked part of the cake today, torted, crumb coat, filled and placed in freezer. I decided on a yellow cake flavored with rum (not a rum cake) and the filling a pumpkin, cream cheese buttercream. Took several hours. wrapped in a zillion layers, lol. Had to take apart part of the freezer door so that it would fit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%