I Need Some Help!!!

Decorating By sandy5491 Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 4:25am by sandy5491

sandy5491 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy5491 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 10

I was just ask to make a cake for the police dept for there new building. Its going to be a ribbon cutting, for the new building. Any ideas would be appreicated. I guess it going be a big sheet cake.
Thanks!

9 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe a large police shield, a copy of the building, or just a large ribbon across the front of the cake...just a few ideas. Good luck!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 10

you can do a buttercream transfer of their police patch or badge. Every department has a unique patch for their uniforms and cars. ooo, maybe a police car. Find out what type of cruiser they use. Do they have speciality units, K9, etc that they are known for?

The more personal to their department, the better. Leave cards!

Hubby is a detective. I got to make a cake for his class when he passed homicide school.

sandy5491 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetsharon

you can do a buttercream transfer of their police patch or badge. Every department has a unique patch for their uniforms and cars. ooo, maybe a police car. Find out what type of cruiser they use. Do they have speciality units, K9, etc that they are known for?

The more personal to their department, the better. Leave cards!

Hubby is a detective. I got to make a cake for his class when he passed homicide school.

Thanks! Everyone. Hey my hubby retired and went back to work and still a sergeant. At least he's not working on the road. More administrative and dispatching. They have a cruiser and a K9 unit. I want to put the picture of the old builing up and the new building but the yard is all torned up. I've never did a buttercream transfer before, any instructions on it. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10

How many do you think this is going to serve? Do you want to do a tiered or sheet cake? Big difference. What's your skill level?
For a sheet cake you could make the badge out of ColorFlow OR cut a smaller cake in it's shape.
If you want to put both building on there, take pix of each, and photo copy them; wrap in cling wrap (so they can be removed for serving) or have them made into edible pix.....make small sq cakes to put on top of a sheet one w/each building. c

Want to try a tiered? put smallish pix of everything on each tier. Can be fzn transfers or ColorFlo OR edible pix OR cookies (for a more cartoony look).

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 10

google frozen buttercream transfer.
and search youtube for tutorials.
there's alot of info on these forums and out in the world.

I have a local cake shop that will do edible images for me that I can easily email to them. I used the edible images on my Orioles cake. I put them on fondant because of the colors they wanted for the cake (not white).

I am not skilled in buttercream transfers. I've only done two but getting better! The first was a complete disaster. I wouldn't be the best teacher on that.

Good luck! Can't wait to see your creation!

sandy5491 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:17am
post #7 of 10

The guess the size of the cake will be a 12x18 side by side. For the frozen transfer buttercream, I think I can do that, if I practice, but one question when you do it and put it on the cake will the lettering be the right way or backwards. I'm trying to picture it in my head. icon_cool.gif or will it be better to do a edible sheet instead. I don't know all the details yet. The big brass will be there. I was honor when they ask me to do this. icon_rolleyes.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 7:32am
post #8 of 10

You can also do a chocoate transfer, which is really easy. I have a pic of a retirement cake from the state DOT, I did the seal. It took a while, but was simple and the chocolate cools and hardens quickly.

I scanned an image of the seal and reversed it, so when flipped it was the right side up.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 5:24am
post #9 of 10

I love the shield or badge ideas.... seems like a police car running around the sides might be fun too!

sandy5491 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:25am
post #10 of 10

I need to know how much 12x18 serve is it 98, and if I put another one will be full sheet for 196 servings. How much would you charge for this. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%