Tulip Veining/frilling

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 4 Jul 2011 , 12:55pm by costumeczar

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 7

I got a new tulip cutter & double veiner set but it isn't going well. I've never used a double-sided veiner and can't get a deep imprint on the gumpaste petal. Then, when i try to soften or frill the edges, the pressure removes the faint vein lines. Help!

6 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like A.) your gumpaste is too stiff B.) you're not pressing hard enough on the double sided veiner and C.) yes ball tooling around the edge does take away some of the veining and frilling - that's just how it is - so you could do it in two stages. Ball tool around the edge a bit then vein then ball tool again - but only the outermost edges.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

Could you please tell me where you found this product? I just found out I need to make some tulips and was searching for how to, lol

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 7

I got the Holland tulip set from gsa.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwonka

I got a new tulip cutter & double veiner set but it isn't going well. I've never used a double-sided veiner and can't get a deep imprint on the gumpaste petal. Then, when i try to soften or frill the edges, the pressure removes the faint vein lines. Help!

First, a lot depends on the veiner's material....the harder the material, the better the imprint. Also, if you ball tool is removing the details, you may be moving too far in....remember the ball tool is meant to just catch the edge of the petal, not over onto it's surface.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks ajwonka icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 7

This is a good veiner, the impressions are really deep. http://www.nycake.com/tulippetalveiner.aspx

You're definitely going to lose some of the imprints of the veiner when you thin the edges, though. Try using a ball tool and rolling the very edge of the petal, then kind of dragging the ball tool down toward the base of the petal. That will curve the edge of the petal in. you'll need to have thicker gumpaste than you normally would for a regular petal, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%