Is There A Special List?

Decorating By Bluehue Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 8:28am by JanH

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 3:51pm
post #121 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

I got reported to the MOD when I said something about the Cake police.
it wasn't even mean!
It was the equvilant of saying 'Don't listen to that guy hes a bully'
I felt like I was in high school being sent to the principal

Personal attacks are not allowed on CakeCentral and only serve to drive threads further off-topic.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 4:06pm
post #122 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I thnk that something that's being lost in all of this self-congratulatory "don't ask don't tell" is that there are experienced bakers on here who have either seen, or who have experienced themselves, instances where unlicensed bakers did get in trouble for selling their wares.

In my experience reading Cake Central threads, when someone starts asking for pricing info and someone says "are you licensed" it isn't the person asking about the license who gets nasty, it's the person who was asking about the pricing.

There are a few people on this thread who have pointed out that they didn't know about legalities before someone responded to a question with information about licensing. I think that the point of someone saying "are you licensed" is to let people know that there can be consequences for selling cakes without a license, which is something that a lot of people just don't think about.

Interesting you chose the phrase don't ask don't tell since the offering of advice can be seen as a form of baiting. What you are missing in the concerns of some of those you describe as "the self-congratulatory don't ask don't tell" folks is the rush to interject business issues in decorating threads. Note that you emphasize threads where pricing is raised--which is in part the subject of the O.P.

However what others are focused on is the rush to interject business concerns in decorating threads which can lead to a derailing of the thread (which I will admit is not unique to questions about legality). There have been two examples referenced in this thread (why people keep asking for examples is a bit surprising) where a decorating thread has business concerns interjected when the subject of pricing has never been raised.

As mentioned above, you might feel you are doing the poster a benefit by offering advice that they should be legal. But then again it is either presumptuous (they are legal they don't need your advice) or accusatory (you must be legal, you are not so you cannot sell it). Either way it is not what the poster came here looking for. They came here looking for decorating advice, not "advice" that admonishes them for taking on the project.

So frankly it is not that surprising that someone might get a bit testy because they find themselves being lectured/accused/admonished when they simply came looking for decorating advice. That they may get nasty first is irrelevant to whether or not this friendly advice should be offered.

Look at is this way, many of the questions in the decorating forum are about making cakes for others. One could easily then post in every thread asking about a cake for someone else "hey make sure you are legal." Which has happened--the examples are not that hard to find. There is simply no reason to offer this advice simply because you think you are doing a good deed.

That some might have found it useful does not justify the times where people found it off-putting/insulting/accusatory. There is simply no reason to probe beyond the decorating questions. You are assuming things about the individual that frankly you have no reason to assume simply because they are asking a question about how to decorate a cake for others. What some of the" self-congratulatory don't ask, don't tell" folks are saying is the forum doesn't need folks running around here always advising on the legality of decorating projects.

Ah, gatorcakes...Once again you ignore my main point and reinterpret what I said in order to do whatever you think you're accomplishing...I mention threads about pricing because that's what other people have been discussing. I personally don't find it interesting to go around and ask everyone posting about things whether they're legal or not. I'm more than happy to give advice on how to get legal in ths state of Virginia if the question is asked, and if you do a search on here you'll find that I try to be helpful if I can.

It's the painting everyone who brings the topic up with the "cake police" brush that I find irritating. I know that there are people on here (not myself) who have found out the hard way that you can get in trouble if you sell cakes and you're not licensed. If that makes them bring the topic up more than other people do, that's probably because they don't want other people to have to go through the irritation and financial difficulty that comes from it that they did.

Also, saying that when people get nasty when friendly advice is offered is irrelevant is slightly ridiculous. If someone offers a friendly piece of advice and you don't want to take it, or you don't feel that it's pertinent, just ignore it. The nasty responses that I've seen from a lot of posters on here are what turn threads bad, not someone asking if someone else is legal or not. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 4:27pm
post #123 of 168

A. This is nuts; two days of the crabbing about cake police. Boring........

B."The nasty responses that I've seen from a lot of posters on here are what turn threads bad, not someone asking if someone else is legal or not. If you don't like it, ignore it." Amen!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:03pm
post #124 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

it wasn't even mean!

Personal attacks are not allowed on CakeCentral and only serve to drive threads further off-topic.

Now there's the pot calling the kettle black.

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #125 of 168
Quote:

Also, saying that when people get nasty when friendly advice is offered is irrelevant is slightly ridiculous. If someone offers a friendly piece of advice and you don't want to take it, or you don't feel that it's pertinent, just ignore it. The nasty responses that I've seen from a lot of posters on here are what turn threads bad, not someone asking if someone else is legal or not. If you don't like it, ignore it.

This response is frankly laughable as the table is easily turned. If someone asks about pricing and you feel compelled to ask if they are legal, then ignore it and move on. It is not the question they asked so if you don't want to answer without inquiring they are legal, then ignore it and move on. If you don't like them asking about pricing without being legal, ignore it--see how easy it is?

But the point is that they should be able to ask their question without you or anyone else rushing to ask or remind them about being legal, based on nothing more than an assumption they might not be legal.

Frankly the point about made by those highlighting decorating threads is not that difficult to comprehend: there are people who are so worried about the legality of others they find themselves compelled to even address it in threads where decorating is the only subject. Do you get it now? The paternalistic, I am gonna make myself feel good by telling others they need to be legal, is so common it is even seen in threads where business is not the issue. Got it now? It is unwanted, it is unnecessary, and frankly is more than a little self-serving.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm
post #126 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Quote:

This response is frankly laughable as the table is easily turned. If someone asks about pricing and you feel compelled to ask if they are legal, then ignore it and move on. It is not the question they asked so if you don't want to answer without inquiring they are legal, then ignore it and move on. If you don't like them asking about pricing without being legal, ignore it--see how easy it is?

But the point is that they should be able to ask their question without you or anyone else rushing to ask or remind them about being legal, based on nothing more than an assumption they might not be legal.

Frankly the point about made by those highlighting decorating threads is not that difficult to comprehend: there are people who are so worried about the legality of others they find themselves compelled to even address it in threads where decorating is the only subject. Do you get it now? The paternalistic, I am gonna make myself feel good by telling others they need to be legal, is so common it is even seen in threads where business is not the issue. Got it now? It is unwanted, it is unnecessary, and frankly is more than a little self-serving.

wow

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm
post #127 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

it wasn't even mean!

Jason - perhaps mplaidgirl2 had good cause to say what they said -
As for someone reporting 'Don't listen to that guy hes a bully' IMO is typical school ground behaviour.

We read on CC and this thread (as an example) that if you don't like what your seeing/reading - ignore it - wellll obviously someone didn't ignore that.
mplaidgirl2 no doubt had good cause to say what they said - at the particular point in time they obviously felt bullied - who are we to say they didn't feel that way - more to the point - who are we to say they shouldn't feel bullied.

I type this post to bring to your attention that we do not need you to jump in and tell us what is and isn't acceptable - what is and isn't allowed - what is and isn't correct - that is what we have moderators for.
Let them do their job - let them contact and speak to the CCer concerned.
Good grief - you were banging on a few pages back about "if the Mods did this and did that" - well let them - last time i looked - you weren't a Mod.

Honestly Jason -members don't want to *be told* - thats harsh - but its the most simple way i can say it.
We never know how someone feels or thinks until we walk a mile in their shoes...

Narie - that is your perogative to think what ever you wish about this thread - but it seems as plain as day to me that there are many who are so over or who have just simply left because of how *some* put them through the wringer.

From what i am reading it seems as tho this thread was a long time coming -
People who haven't posted for some time and those that are reasonably new here seem to be of the same opinion ............surely alllll can't be wrong.

Those who feel as tho they are bullied - interigated or put through the wringer - might not be comfortable with starting a thread like this - doesn't mean that it can't be said.

From all of this i just hope that those who are reading it and have left because of how they have been treated give CC a second chance - not made to feel as tho because they were shot down they can't get up again
and post or ask another question.

Many don't go running to the Mods - some just slink away thinking............ "pffftttt, won't bother going there again"

Its a cake forum and people should be allowed to ask whatever question they don't know the answers too - without feeling as tho they have to explain why they are asking that question.

And if we ask a question in the wrong section - then again - we let the Mods make that call and do what they are here to do.

No wonder people lurk for a long time before cooming on board - good grief - some must stand on the edge for ages wondering if its safe to enter.

Only two things need to happen -
Let people ask without fear of being made to look silly and allow the Mods to speak to those who neeed speaking too - seems simple enough to me.

Bluehue.

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:42pm
post #128 of 168

I think people are forgetting there is a middle ground here. The options are:

A.) Don't bring up legality at all.
B.) Say "you can't sell anything until you're licensed, how do you NOT know that?!"
C.) Bring up legality in the context that they are asking (pricing, venue, etc) in a "hey you might want to check this out" way.

Apparently some people think it's big meanies doing option B. I haven't seen that. I have seen many rude answers here, but not about legality.

Option A is kind of silly. Many people genuinely do not know about legalities. I know from my experience, I was told incorrect information by someone who should've known better (my Wilton instructor).

Option C is what I see most of here on CC.

I think creating a sticky that says "figure out your overhead (including license fees, electricity, etc.) cost of materials, your skill level, blah blah blah - would be good.

Really, unless someone is the exact same location, with the exact same overhead and skill level, what another decorator charges is not relevant or helpful.

Also, with the new people who were scared away, it would be interesting to see if they were scared away by the legality question or something totally different.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:44pm
post #129 of 168

Great posts Gator and Blue.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 5:55pm
post #130 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess155

I think people are forgetting there is a middle ground here. The options are:

A.) Don't bring up legality at all.
B.) Say "you can't sell anything until you're licensed, how do you NOT know that?!"
C.) Bring up legality in the context that they are asking (pricing, venue, etc) in a "hey you might want to check this out" way.

Apparently some people think it's big meanies doing option B. I haven't seen that. I have seen many rude answers here, but not about legality.

Option A is kind of silly. Many people genuinely do not know about legalities. I know from my experience, I was told incorrect information by someone who should've known better (my Wilton instructor).

Option C is what I see most of here on CC.

I think creating a sticky that says "figure out your overhead (including license fees, electricity, etc.) cost of materials, your skill level, blah blah blah - would be good.

Really, unless someone is the exact same location, with the exact same overhead and skill level, what another decorator charges is not relevant or helpful.

Also, with the new people who were scared away, it would be interesting to see if they were scared away by the legality question or something totally different.
We can only go by what they are telling us - and a few pages back ............they started telling us why.

LNW -

thankyou - as i mentioned earlier - too many are questioned - and answering a question with a question doesn't help new comers or those who don't know at all...especially when the answer has nothing to do with their original question...

Try saying that 5 times fast - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif -
splutter - cough - splutter. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:05pm
post #131 of 168

I have posted a few times in the forums but I dont dare ask my own questions, it seems to me that the general attitude is that if "your asking these questions then your too new for me to bother with and I have to make sure that you know what your doing is illegal" Granted there are some pro's on here that are so helpful that it makes coming back to CC worth it. I have learned MANY things from reading the forums but it does get old that almost every thread I read turns into a legality issue and there is ONE who is at the center of it all and I know we ALL know who that is.... I would LOVE to be able to come here and read all the great tips and tricks and help others and learn new things.. I dont even bother asking about pricing because I went and got the Alice Cake Matrix. That was the single greatest thing I have found here and use it all the time. I dont want to be afraid of looking stupid by asking a question and then being put through the wringer. For example the person who wanted to make her first wedding cake even though she had never baked before that poor girl had her rear handed to her with everyone saying dont even bother trying because your going to fail... How would you feel if it was you that it happend to? I will get off my little tangent, I just want to be able to come here without the fear of being judged and I think that is what everyone is saying who is lurking there in the shadows....

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #132 of 168

Jess155 - EXACTLY!! I agree totally with everything you're saying. There is a middle ground here. Everyone has brought up valid points. We all want people to be able to come here and discuss ideas and ask for help freely.

The fact of the matter is, sometimes people come on CC without having any idea about "being legal" and ask questions about starting businesses and pricing. This does tend to happen mostly in the Business Forum. When it happens, I haven't seen anyone being "attacked". I've seen people offer advice. Sometimes it's well received and sometimes it isn't.

People in this thread have been throwing Jason under the bus a little, but I have to say, I've come to value his advice in the Business Forum. He has alot to offer, so don't write him off too quickly as the "cake police".

We all have things we bring to the table and that's why this website is a great place to learn and grow and share. I hope that many of the lurkers start to feel more comfortable posting questions. I love coming here and learning from other people's successes and failures.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #133 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeMistress

I have posted a few times in the forums but I dont dare ask my own questions, it seems to me that the general attitude is that if "your asking these questions then your too new for me to bother with and I have to make sure that you know what your doing is illegal" Granted there are some pro's on here that are so helpful that it makes coming back to CC worth it. I have learned MANY things from reading the forums but it does get old that almost every thread I read turns into a legality issue and there is ONE who is at the center of it all and I know we ALL know who that is.... I would LOVE to be able to come here and read all the great tips and tricks and help others and learn new things.. I dont even bother asking about pricing because I went and got the Alice Cake Matrix. That was the single greatest thing I have found here and use it all the time. I dont want to be afraid of looking stupid by asking a question and then being put through the wringer. For example the person who wanted to make her first wedding cake even though she had never baked before that poor girl had her rear handed to her with everyone saying dont even bother trying because your going to fail... How would you feel if it was you that it happend to? I will get off my little tangent, I just want to be able to come here without the fear of being judged and I think that is what everyone is saying who is lurking there in the shadows....

I agree with a lot of this..... I love the forum but don't usually post to them. As someone who is a nonprofessional baker, feel many posts do turn into the legal issue when the original post had nothing to do with it. I have a large family and do a great deal of baking for them. I feel that if I posted a question about how to make a certain type of cake for one of them the first response would be to see if I know it's legal to bake or others even though that would not have been my question.

What I do love about CC is all the awesome photos in the gallery and knowledge of those on the boards. Without them this site would not be as wonderful as it is. That being said, I do sometimes feel like some (not all) of them feel us non professionals are a bother to them and are more concerned if we are illegally baking or not.

As for the pricing questions, I also think people need to stop asking how much to charge as each area, cake, and baker should determine what works for them. I do think it's unfair to ask someone else to calculate how much your cake should cost.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:41pm
post #134 of 168

"Narie - that is your (sp) perogative to think what ever you wish about this thread - but it seems as plain as day to me that there are many who are so over or who have just simply left because of how *some* put them through the wringer. "

Good heavens, Bluehue, it took you less than an hour to 'put me through the wringer' because I expressed my opinion.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 6:47pm
post #135 of 168

Oh Jason is part of the cake police icon_wink.gif Hes just not one of the more annoying ones. Well to me anyways. He always seems to be pretty nice about it. There are some who would disagree with me though icon_smile.gif I always enjoy it when they all get together on the same thread. Probably more than I should.

When I first joined the only time the legality question ever came up was when a member specifically asked about it. Otherwise if someone asked a pricing or business question they got their answer, hmmm for that cake Id charge $3.00 a serving but Im in a cheap area, or I dont think your contract needs to be 15 pages long, maybe something simple like this ::posts link to an example contract::. Answers were answers to exactly what was asked not prefaced with questions about a decorators legal standing or a warning about the severe penalties that one may face should they not be legal and get caught (and everyone has heard the story about the decorator who lost her home because of a bad cake and that story always changes just a little every time Ive seen it posted). If I remember correctly that is how the sticky at the top of the biz forum came to be. People were asking that question so often we started that thread and had it stuck up there for everyone to see and anytime someone had a question about their legal standing or how to get legal they were linked to it. But I guess that isnt good enough for some.

The legal thing doesnt bother me much, I usually just ignore it. It does seem to be just a few people who do it and those few are legal bakers and some have mentioned, numerous times, the vast amounts of money, time, research etc. theyve spent getting legal, protecting their trademarks, marketing themselves etc etc. And honestly, its comes off a wee bit snooty. Maybe they just have issues with tact? Or I'm just reading too much into it.

Ive mentioned before my dh and I own a real estate business and a technology consulting business. Weve spent thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars getting those business started up and to the level of success we are now experiencing (a lot more then what some of you have spent getting your bakeries going). Im not an idiot to the business world. But I dont need to brag about it. I dont feel the need to cram my assumed superior business intellect down someones throat (as Ive seen a couple of posters do). I dont own a bakery. I dont rent a kitchen. I dont live in a state with a cottage food law. I do this as a hobby and anyone who looks at my gallery can see Im far from a pro. Its just an outlet for me; I do hold a degree in Art History. But I still offer advice, business or otherwise. And I dont feel Im any less valuable to the board because I dont have a license for my bakery hanging next to the ones for our other two businesses. I dont feel any less useful to the other decorators here because when Im paying the insurance fees for our other businesses Im not sending out a check for a bakery. We have competition in our other businesses with folks who arent licensed and insured and confronting them about that has never crossed my mind (and it is important in our line of work too). I got a flyer in the mail once from a guy in our neighborhood offering a virus removal package for half the price we offer ours about a week after we sent out flyers for the very same package. I giggled and threw it away. Thats how we started out. Doing little piddly things for chump change until we got so big we had to create the business and get licensed and insured. And now our little technology business has grown enough that we are buying up our competitors and taking over their clientele. I may not be a licensed/insured baker but dont blow me off as a nobody. The next time your out looking for a place to rent you may be looking at one of my properties (shoot you may be one of my tenants right now icon_wink.gif ) or if you need to have your bakery networked it may be some of my techs who come out and do it icon_twisted.gif

bethw5774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethw5774 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 7:20pm
post #136 of 168

Hi, I'm one of those lurkers people keep mentioning. Love ,love ,love how helpful everyone is with the decorating suggestions. I've been reading the forums for a long time, but never post, afraid of making a misstatement and starting something. But I have to say seems like I learn something everyday.
I don't think Jason is being thrown under the bus per say, just seems like he is the one who chooses to interject himself into everyone else's business the most. For some one who doesn't even bake he sure spends a lot of time on this cake site.
Seems like I read where he mentioned having a passion for business and the legalities of running a business. Maybe he should start his own blog on that subject. He seems to be very intelligent and knowledgeable on the subject, I think people would rather he waited to be asked before "helping".
Also I was more than a little surprised to see him suggest to an OP that maybe she should sic the law on "illegal" bakers in her area.
Anyway, thanks so much for letting me share my 2 cents. Have a great day all!

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:36pm
post #137 of 168

Bluehue When someone comes to the business forum and asks "how much for...?" If the person is illegal, the answer is, zero. That is why it is to be expected to be asked.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 8:54pm
post #138 of 168

My question to the ones who choose to put the legal aspect on thetable when it hasn't been asked is why do you feel the need to say it? Is it out of the kindness of your heart? Is it because you have been caught in the past and don't want someone else to go through it? Or is it because you feel the illegal bakers are a threat to you?

I was also a newbie who felt intimidated and attacked at times. To the point that I stayed away from the site for a long period of time. I would search and search to find the answer to the "stupid newbie" question that every single person in here had to ask at some point to get to where they are. I quit asking questions.

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:03pm
post #139 of 168

I get that if the baker asking isn't "legal" the answer is zero. What for the life of me I don't get is why it is Antibes business to ask and assume the person asking is breaking the law. I think we are all responsible adults and should be treated as such.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:29pm
post #140 of 168

"Or is it because you feel the illegal bakers are a threat to you?"

myheartsdesire, I think it's mainly that. Fear. If you read this thread on page 4 you would see that the advice given (which was unsolicited) is very mean spirited towards soon-to-be-legal bakers in Florida. People who don't live in florida just disrupted that whole thread and it had to be taken somewhere else. Sad, because the homebakers are not selling right now, but they will soon, and they just wanted to get information together.

So now that it's legal to bake in Florida, that kind of legal is still not good enough. It bothers some people.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=720485&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

jason_kraft Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:48pm
post #141 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

that is what we have moderators for.
Let them do their job - let them contact and speak to the CCer concerned.

I agree 100%, and in the case in question the mods did do their job by removing the personal attack from the thread (although IMO they went too far and locked the thread too). mplaid was asking why her post was removed, I gave her the answer according to my completely unofficial interpretation of the forum rules.

Quote:
Quote:

Good grief - you were banging on a few pages back about "if the Mods did this and did that" - well let them

My biggest issue with the mods is that they move business-related threads out of the business forum. My view on this issue hasn't changed, I feel business-related threads should be kept in the business forum and I have informed the mods of my opinion. But it's their forum and they have the prerogative to move threads wherever they want.

Quote:
Quote:

People who haven't posted for some time and those that are reasonably new here seem to be of the same opinion ............surely alllll can't be wrong.

From what I read here opinion seems to be split about 50/50.

[quote]Those who feel as tho they are bullied - interigated or put through the wringer - might not be comfortable with starting a thread like this - doesn't mean that it can't be said.[/quote
If anyone feels like they are bullied or attacked on this forum, all you have to do is click the "Report a bad post" button, and the mods will either remove the offending post if they agree with you, or leave it there if they disagree. That's the reason mods exist in the first place, to make sure topics stay on-track and attack posts are removed.

jason_kraft Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 9:52pm
post #142 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethw5774

Seems like I read where he mentioned having a passion for business and the legalities of running a business. Maybe he should start his own blog on that subject. He seems to be very intelligent and knowledgeable on the subject, I think people would rather he waited to be asked before "helping".

I'm actually working on writing a book on the subject, although I don't have much free time between my full-time job, managing a bakery, and helping to take care of my newborn daughter.

Quote:
Quote:

Also I was more than a little surprised to see him suggest to an OP that maybe she should sic the law on "illegal" bakers in her area.

The baker in question was being run out of business by (among other things) illegal home bakers in her area undercutting her on price. Requesting that the local authorities actually enforce the law is a valid business tactic. It may not be nice, but when running a business sometimes you can't afford to be nice.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 10:02pm
post #143 of 168
Quote:

Quote:

I'm actually working on writing a book on the subject, although I don't have much free time between my full-time job, managing a bakery, and helping to take care of my newborn daughter.

Quote:
Quote:

The baker in question was being run out of business by (among other things) illegal home bakers in her area undercutting her on price. Requesting that the local authorities actually enforce the law is a valid business tactic. It may not be nice, but when running a business sometimes you can't afford to be nice.

And this was just another good business tactic too, right?

"One tactic (for those with commercial kitchens in FL) could be to preemptively contact venues in your area and discuss whether or not they will allow food into the venue from vendors licensed under the CFL. Considering all food made under the CFL must be labeled "not inspected by health dept" I wouldn't be surprised if venues decided not to allow deliveries from cottage food vendors. "

Not only must one be legal, but one must also be a certain kind of legal.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 10:46pm
post #144 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

And this was just another good business tactic too, right?

"One tactic (for those with commercial kitchens in FL) could be to preemptively contact venues in your area and discuss whether or not they will allow food into the venue from vendors licensed under the CFL. Considering all food made under the CFL must be labeled "not inspected by health dept" I wouldn't be surprised if venues decided not to allow deliveries from cottage food vendors. "

Not only must one be legal, but one must also be a certain kind of legal.

See this is the exact thing we are talking about Jason, your in California for F*** Sakes and your INJECTING yourself into a conversation going on IN FLORIDA...If your so busy running your own business and taking care of a newborn then why in the hell do you care about whats going on in FLORIDA? Do you seriously just sit back and WAIT for the pot to be stirred and then gotta sit there and stir it more? Too many cooks in the kitchen will ruin the food.... Run your own business and dont worry about everyone elses

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:08pm
post #145 of 168
Quote:

Strange how we read the same thing differently. I didn't read the baker in questions post as the baker was being run out of business by home bakers. (and before you start, I don't assume everyone is illegal without knowing the facts beforehand) The baker in question did mention home bakers, as well as retail shops selling cakes at a lower price. Something all decorators deal with all the time. Retail shops especially so nothing new.

I read the bakers post as the baker was more concerned about continuing on because of a very serious back injury. How difficult it was to stoop over for any length of time etc. The baker also underpriced any cakes made, which was a mistake if the bakers work is custom work not found in a retail store. The baker could not manage more than 2 sculpted cakes a week and had a hard time keeping up with other cake orders as the baker was the only employee.

In other words, the baker was burnt out.

I hope the baker takes some of the great advice given, minus the odd one, and manages to keep the doors open. At the same time, I highly doubt the baker will want to do that.

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #146 of 168

Just a thought from my perspective, I have "lurked" and read enough posts here to know exactly where to look for info on being legal. insurance, etc. If I ask a question about how to do something to a cake, don't automatically assume I don't know anything. Trust me, if I want to know I will ask. Also, as so many of you have nicely pointed out, what laws apply to you probably don't apply in my area in exactly the same way. I am almost ready to be legal and I went to my local health dept. for info. They have been very helpful and nice and the inspector for my area even came out to see how we we doing and offer advice on how to finish it. This is just my opinion and experience and not meant to insult anyone. Thank you all for being here.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #147 of 168

You know if this was me everyone was telling in as diplomatic of way as they could and some not so diplomatic, that Their opinions on legality and advice on same was not welcome when not asked for, such as in threads with questions on how much to charge or how to stack a cake or how many will this serve, then I would have shut my mouth by now. But then again, I have always been quick to pick up on things. icon_lol.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:04am
post #148 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

You know if this was me everyone was telling in as diplomatic of way as they could and some not so diplomatic, that Their opinions on legality and advice on same was not welcome when not asked for, such as in threads with questions on how much to charge or how to stack a cake or how many will this serve, then I would have shut my mouth by now. But then again, I have always been quick to pick up on things. icon_lol.gif

LOL! icon_lol.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:08am
post #149 of 168

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read in a long time. Note my new siggy. Think it'll help? icon_smile.gif

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 12:11am
post #150 of 168

It is the first one I've felt comfortable posting in for quite awhile! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%