Who Watched Staten Island Cakes? What Did You Think?

Lounge By Jeff_Arnett Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 3:39pm by Bonnell

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:51am
post #1 of 15

Personally, I would really love to see a cake show just about cakes! I am not interested in a family's drama.....just the cakes please!

14 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:55am
post #2 of 15

I didn't intend to watch it but couldn't seem to stop myself. My impressions...

The beer cake was better than what he did on Amazing Wedding Cakes but advertising working with a hangover? TMI.

I was left wondering if the business is really "his" and not really owned by mom.

When I use dummy cakes for a competition, I treat it just like cake and EVERYTHING ELSE is edible. I never use hot glue or anything else that's not food safe. It's supposed to be creatable in real cake and that's doubtful if it had to be glued together. But, it was nice to see Lauri Ditunna (not sure of that spelling) as a judge at the event he entered.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 15

I wouldn't want to see him making just cakes either. He had 3 appearances on Amazing Wedding Cakes and put 48 dowels, thick as a broom stick on a topsy turvy. Don't think I want to learn anything from him. I'm planning on never watching it.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 15

I won't watch it again. I kept thinking "why did they pick this guy for this show?" Truthfully, it comes down to the story line - not the baking or the cake decorating. And the truth is the story line is nauseating. I can't imagine the show will maintain any ratings.

Let-Them-Eat-Cake08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Let-Them-Eat-Cake08 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 15

I watched it...thought it was ok. There are much better cake shows out there, obviously. My sister lives on Staten Island and is actually having my nephew's 1st birthday cake made from that shop, so I will be interested to see how it turns out! I think I'm mainly going to watch it because I know my sister lives so close. I will have to post a picture of the cake here if I remember...

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 15

Yeah, it's a good example of what NOT to do. Entertaining? I suppose.

Platinumweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Platinumweddings Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:54am
post #7 of 15

I agree, I think cake shows should be about cakes... I mean that's why we watch right? Its the same with Cake Boss; too much other stuff going on.. I can put up the deliveries because I always want to see if they have the same problems as the rest of us. I live in TX. so it's always a challenge trying to get a cake delivered in 100 plus Temps.

"Just show me the Cake!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Jun 2011 , 4:25am
post #8 of 15

Meh. Not something or someone I want to watch.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 5:47am
post #9 of 15

Hated it!! My 10 yr old nephew was visiting last week & we were going to watch it together.. I thought it was going to be about cakes... NOT! I couldn't watch that mess in front of my nephew! I would love to see a cake show about cakes!! The only part of a cake artist's life that I would like to know is how they got where they are today, then bring on the creations!! And throw in lots of techniques & tips!! The hot glue on his dummy cake was crazy! No one uses hot glue on a competition cake! Hello, it's supposed to be all editable! I will not watch it again. Just my 2 cents... thumbsdown.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:55am
post #10 of 15

Hate it, but not as much as, "Have Cake Will Travel". With Cake Boss, if you read his book, you will see how much knowledge he actually has. Then while watching the show, it is easier to pull out the words of wisdom that manage to not get cut.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:02am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Hate it, but not as much as, "Have Cake Will Travel".

UGH I am with you on that one!! "Have Cake Will Travel" is just Anna Nicole doing cakes without the influence of drugs. She's got talent, but good Lord, the giant tits always right there on my giant HDTV just gross me out. She should tuck them inside of a chef's coat and let her actual talent shine!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 7:17am
post #12 of 15

Cakepro, what were they thinking? She has a terrible personality too. FN usually picks winners, but this is so bad on so many levels. It seems WeTV needed something equally as bad, so they picked Staten Island Cakes.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Hate it, but not as much as, "Have Cake Will Travel".

UGH I am with you on that one!! "Have Cake Will Travel" is just Anna Nicole doing cakes without the influence of drugs. She's got talent, but good Lord, the giant tits always right there on my giant HDTV just gross me out. She should tuck them inside of a chef's coat and let her actual talent shine!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LMAO!!!

ChubbyCheeksSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChubbyCheeksSweets Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:22pm
post #14 of 15

I watched it hoping it would actually be about the cakes since I grew up just outside the city... The whole family annoyed me the entire show. I won't watch it again, I agree with needing a real show just about the CAKES and not the drama.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 15

I watched half of the first episode just to give him a second chance (after seeing him on Amazing Wedding Cakes and wondering -- "why him?") Couldn't stand the show. He's a real drama queen and I question his techniques and skill level. Really, when you put 48 dowels into a cake is there any cake left to eat?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%