Need An Idea For A Prank Cake For My Boyfriend

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 3:44am by SarahBeth3

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 26

Two years ago, while we were munching on some chips and salsa, I asked my boyfriend what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday.
He responded with "Nacho cake".
Uhm, ok.
I repeat: "What kind of cake do you want for your birthday?"
"Nacho cake"
I didnt say another word. All right, whatever he wants.
Two weeks later while out for his his birthday dinner, we ordered dessert and the server brings this to the table: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1404934
He says, "Nachos? We already had dinner. We're waiting for dessert"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - GOT YA! That's what you get when you're a smarta** to a cake decorator.

Last year, same scenario.
"What kind of cake do you want for your birthday?"
He responded with "Cheesecake".
Ok.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2070220

His birthday is in a little less than 2 weeks and I've got nothing! He wont give me an answer when I ask
"What kind of cake do you want for your birthday?"
except "leaning tower of pisa"

Help!! What should i do? We are a family of four so i dont need a huge cake but I need a clever idea!

25 replies
JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 26

Your cakes are SO funny! Very cute. icon_smile.gif The only thing I can think of is a play on Pisa ( I used to think it was Leaning Tower of Pizza when I was little) so maybe something with leaning pizza boxes? Good luck and make sure you post pics!!

Claudiam25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudiam25 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 26

Cute cakes! I was thinking along the same lines for a play on pisa as JenFailla suggested [/I used to think it was Leaning Tower of Pizza when I was little] You could maybe do a stack of pizzas with sauce and pizza toppings dripping down the sides. HTH.

ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 26

I did a joke cake at work one day. I took foam, like foam bought at a hobby shop for seat cushions, and glued them together. I traced around a cake pan and cut the foam. Then I glued it to a cake board. I then put chocolate frosting on it and decorated it real nice. The frosting smelled wonderful, so they taste buds watered when you smelled the "cake".
I placed a butter knife by the cake. It is a hoot to see people try to cut it. They can't cut it with a butter knife.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 26

Seeing as you are going on a 'food' theme, how about a plate with his favorite meal? Hamburger and french fries, pizza, or even a plate of spagetti. My son-in-law ia a junk food freak. A few years ago I made him a cake with all junk food on it. Pop chips, chocolate bars
Hope this helps

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 26

Leaning tower of pizza for sure.

He's trying to throw you but if you do that, you'll get the win!

jenng1482 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 26

I was kinda leaning towards the pizza idea but I, of course, came here to see if any of you crazily creative people had any other great ideas! How does a leaning stack of pizza boxes sound?

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 26

maybe a little leaning tower cake (baked in a couple of soup cans) on top of a pizza cake or cookie?

jenng1482 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondab

maybe a little leaning tower cake (baked in a couple of soup cans) on top of a pizza cake or cookie?

Cute!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 26

LOL@jenn"leaning" toward the pizza idea! Funny icon_lol.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:03am
post #11 of 26

I've never actually done this, but when I worked in the bakery, Joe, the baker who trained me, spoke of a prank they used to pull way back in the good old days.
They would take a roll of paper towels and ice it up real pretty. when the 'victim', went to cut into the 'cake', it was almost impossible to cut because the 'victim', was slicing into a sideways roll of paper towels.
I wonder if you could ice the paper towels, while standing in a vertical position, so they couldn't be cut?
And I wonder of you could make a vertical roll of paper towels, lean like the tower of Pisa?

Just a thought, not necessarily a good one!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:46am
post #12 of 26

You might want to check the gallery. There is a cake in the Locations and Places Contest Cakes that is a Leaning Tower of Pisa. I know you said you didn't need a big cake, so maybe you could just make the bottom a cake and the tower above it out of...oh I don't know...maybe a oatmeal box covered in fondant or something to that effect. But wait, now you know your not going to tell him the top is cardboard though...right! That way you get the prank and he gets the cake. HTH

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #13 of 26

You can do like I did and ice and decorate a pan turned upside down. He'll never be able to cut it. Once he gives up icon_mad.gif you can turn it over and have a note or card taped to the inside of the pan. No one could stop laughing. Then I took out the real cake which I had hidden. icon_biggrin.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #14 of 26

Definitely the leaning tower of Pizza! I like the idea of a stack of pizza boxes, like you said. You have to tell us his reaction. I LOVE your tradition, by the way, so fun!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #15 of 26

Or you can make a meatloaf cake... meatloaf iced in cream cheese. I've seen pics. Food disguised as cake and a cake disguised as food. Everything in reverse. That is always funny.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:52am
post #16 of 26

oh my goodness those cakes look like so much fun! I've made a few prank cakes and they've turned out to be pretty funny for everyone involved.

Right now I'm obsessed with makeing "deep fried food" or fair food cupcakes and cake, like burger cupcakes, popcorn buckets, spaghetti and meat balls... sooo much fun! Here's some pictures of the ones I did this last year
http://www.easy-cake-decorating.com/cupcakes.html

These are cupcakes but you could always turn them into a full size cake.
Can't wait to see the pictures of what you come up with! icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 26

I saw your cake! Great idea!

It looks like so much fun.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:14pm
post #18 of 26

Love the leaning tower idea - maybe even using stacked cupcakes in a miniature version with a "Pizza" cake next to it. You could even do a "salad cake" and "garlic bread" to go with it.

imagenthatnj Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:17pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider

Love the leaning tower idea - maybe even using stacked cupcakes in a miniature version with a "Pizza" cake next to it. You could even do a "salad cake" and "garlic bread" to go with it.

She did it already. She made a beautiful "cheese" cake with mice.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:59pm
post #20 of 26

The "cheese cake" was made for a prior birthday, when her DH asked for cheesecake.

imagenthatnj Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:05pm
post #21 of 26

Ha! I guess I missed that (hadn't had my coffee yet). Thank you crisseyann. Sorry, stormrider.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #22 of 26

Love the idea of the Leaning Tower. But......if you want to go another way you can somehow put a bloon up balloon in a box? and ice and decorate it.
OR his favorite 6 pack again ice & decorated.

Love the ideas coming up. The paper towel or toilet paper roll is great! icon_smile.gif

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #23 of 26

Okay, I'm just writing because I want to see what you end up doing and hear about his reaction. icon_smile.gif

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:44pm
post #24 of 26

not sure about the actual decorations, but one year i turned a pan upside down, and put my husbands bday present under the pan, then i put a cake the same size on top, like 2 layers, and then decorated the pan and cake together, he couldnt cut the whole cake, but it was still edible. he LOVED it!

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:39pm
post #25 of 26

Since you dont need it to be very big, you could do either a cake or cookie Pizza as a base and then have a tower of small cake coming out of the middle (either bake as previously mentioned in cans or do a small diameter jellyroll style cake supported with dowels).

That way you have a "Leaning Tower on Pizza). Ha ha ha

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:44am
post #26 of 26

jenng1482, How did Cole's birthday cake turn out this year? What did you decide on? Do you have any photos to share? How did he react?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%