Fondant Help

Decorating By Mkanz Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm by Mkanz

Mkanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mkanz Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 17

I've seen the thread before, but can't find it. Why is my fondant looking like elephant skin? I just added color and when rolling it out it looks pitted and wrinkled. What is going on?

16 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 17

Too dry or breaking down from using a lot of coloring. Dark colors are the worse. Make sure you knead it a lot before rolling it out. It may help to add a tsp of Karo Syrup to it if the kneading doesn't help.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 17

You can also kneed in a little shortening if it's too dry. No sure if popping it in the microwave for a very short amount of time with help in this situation, but it might be worth a try.

Mkanz Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 17

It's actually brand new out of the container. It started out virgin white and I just added a few drops of light green color. BUT, the directions do say to knead it WELL! So, I have just done so adding some shortening and put it back in the plastic bag it came in. So, we will see what happens. I can't believe how dry it was right out of the container, though. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:19am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkanz

It's actually brand new out of the container. It started out virgin white and I just added a few drops of light green color. BUT, the directions do say to knead it WELL! So, I have just done so adding some shortening and put it back in the plastic bag it came in. So, we will see what happens. I can't believe how dry it was right out of the container, though. icon_rolleyes.gif

What brand is it? I find Satin Ice dries out very quickly. I live in a really dry climate too, so it's worse... I have to keep it covered in saran as soon as I pull it out of the container. Some brands dry out quicker than others, esp in certain climates.

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 17

With satin ice you have to knead reallly well. I also zap it for a few seconds in the microwave, then I lotion my hands with criso and knead like crazy. my fondant mat also helps prevent drying.

Mkanz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 17

I'm going to try to attach a picture so you can see what's going on with this fondant.

Mkanz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 17

That didn't work

Mkanz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 17

Ok, who knows how to attach a photo? I can't seem to get it to work. I'm so frustrated!!! icon_mad.gif

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

Ok, who knows how to attach a photo? I can't seem to get it to work. I'm so frustrated!!! icon_mad.gif

I don't think you can attach photos anymore, but you can upload to your "my photos".

Mkanz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 17

I gave up and am going to go buy some more.

Mkanz Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #12 of 17

OK, I just went to Michael's and bought Duff's fondant and it's doing the same thing!!!! It this because I live in Arizona????? We just moved here in September and this is the first time I have gotten a chance to make a cake here. I am going to flip a lid if this is what happens in Arizona!!!!!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 17

The second to last post in this topic explains how to show photos in your post if you are still wanting to:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=720973&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

I'm really sorry you are having troubles.

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:11am
post #14 of 17
Quote:

OK, I just went to Michael's and bought Duff's fondant and it's doing the same thing!!!! It this because I live in Arizona????? We just moved here in September and this is the first time I have gotten a chance to make a cake here. I am going to flip a lid if this is what happens in Arizona!!!!!

I hate to say this and I'm sorry your having difficulty, but it could be how you are handling the fondant.

When you take the fondant out of the container, what are you doing to it? I mean tell us the exact steps.

We're here to help. icon_smile.gif

Mkanz Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 17

I put a little bit of shortening on my workspace and on my hands. I start kneading the fondant. That's it. Most of the time I knead the fondant until it's pliable and ready to go. This just never got there.

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:16pm
post #16 of 17

Hmm, maybe it was a bad batch of fondant?

If you are still running into trouble, prior to kneading, try placing the fondant in a zip lock bag and microwaving it for a couple minutes. Then dress hands with shortening and knead.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mkanz Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:25pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you. I am taking the fondant back to the store today and getting a new batch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%