Cake Levelers

Decorating By jsfairman Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm by mtaylor10099

jsfairman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsfairman Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 29

looking to buy a new cake leveler. i know that agbay ones are the best you can get. however does anyone have the fat daddios leveler? big price difference, but i want one that i'm going to be happy with.

28 replies
annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 30 May 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 29

I have the Fat Daddio leveler and I absolutely hate it. I bought it recently, have used it maybe a dozen times and the spring on the first blade has already broken off making it useless. I'm guessing this happened because I tightened it too much but I did that because the blade kept moving when I would cut a cake. I also find the blades really hard to move around. I wish I had invested the money I spent on the Fat Daddio into an Agbay

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie84

I have the Fat Daddio leveler and I absolutely hate it. I bought it recently, have used it maybe a dozen times and the spring on the first blade has already broken off making it useless. I'm guessing this happened because I tightened it too much but I did that because the blade kept moving when I would cut a cake. I also find the blades really hard to move around. I wish I had invested the money I spent on the Fat Daddio into an Agbay

Me too! It is WORSE than the Wilton leveler, IMO. Save your money. While I am saving up for an Agbay, I use a long knife against the top of the pan. It does the job, at least for now. With the FD leveler, my cakes were not level, and when I tried to adjust the blade, it made it worse. Seriously,save your money!

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 29

I absolutely LOVE my Agbay. It is the best investment I have made to date. It will be the most used caking item you buy.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 29

yes save for the Agbay. We had that one at our shop. It was amazing. When we closed the shop my partner wanted that one piece of equipment. Nothing else. And I mean Nothing. Now I have all kinds of stuff I don't have a place for and she has something I could use (lol). They are well worth the $$.
I have been given the wilton levelers (several types) and they are a joke. If there was a way to get my money back I would do it in a heartbeat. Maybe we should all complain to wilton. Maybe then they would get something correct.

sgalvan62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgalvan62 Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 29

hi, i just make cakes for my family, not sure what a agby is? would it be worth getting one if its just my hobby? where do i get one?

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 29

I have an Agbay, and while it is very high quality, I still find myself reaching for my long knife most of the time. Its just faster than adjusting the agbay all the time. But now I bake 4 rounds per tier, so I don't even need the knife.

The Agbay is useful when doing a tiered cake and you want all tiers the exact same height. That's when I bring it out. But otherwise, my super sharp extra long knife is my go-to.

cakegirl1973 Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat

I have an Agbay, and while it is very high quality, I still find myself reaching for my long knife most of the time. Its just faster than adjusting the agbay all the time. But now I bake 4 rounds per tier, so I don't even need the knife.

The Agbay is useful when doing a tiered cake and you want all tiers the exact same height. That's when I bring it out. But otherwise, my super sharp extra long knife is my go-to.

Jenmat, do you mind sharing what you mean by baking 4 rounds per tier? I am guessing that you bake 4 rounds so you don't have to torte them. How tall is each round? Thanks!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 29

i'll jump on the bandwagon and rave about my agbay icon_biggrin.gif i bought it as a present for myself a few months back and absolutely love it! every time i use it i'm amazed at how easy it is to use and how level my cakes are icon_biggrin.gif

you can only get them online at the agbay website, http://www.agbayproducts.com/

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 29

I literally grabbed my AGBAY from the grip of my UPS man and used it still warm from the truck. I always say, if the house is on fire, I'm taking my gumpaste cutters and my AGBAY with me. I also bought the styrofoam dummy cutter blade and can make quick cake stands by halving old 4" styro dummies (then cover them with mat satin). LOVE IT!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl1973

Jenmat, do you mind sharing what you mean by baking 4 rounds per tier? I am guessing that you bake 4 rounds so you don't have to torte them. How tall is each round? Thanks!

Yep, exactly, I have 4 sets of 3" tall MagicLine pans, and i bake four layers, each is about 1 to 1.5 " tall. I like my cakes to be tall for weddings, so once baked and filled they come to about 4.5-5" tall, I usually use 3 boards under each tier as well to add height and stability.
The great thing about baking such thin layers is that they take almost no time, its easier to get even baking so the outsides aren't burned, and they are SUPER moist.
Jen

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 30 May 2011 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 29

My husband gave me a go-ahead to buy an agbay, I am having a hard time with spending that much for a cake leveler but after this past weekend with the piece of crap wilton one, I think I will do it!

DeniseNH Posted 30 May 2011 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 29

DO IT. You'll thank us all later. icon_smile.gif

huskerfan Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:14pm
post #14 of 29

Which one do most of you have, the single or double blade one? I decided to wait until I sold a majority of things from my daughter's wedding to purchase one and now I have. So its time to buy an Agbay! Super excited!!!!

DeniseNH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:16pm
post #15 of 29

I have the single but with an additional blade made for leveling or torting (sp?) cake dummies.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:56pm
post #16 of 29

Cakegirl....so when you bake your cakes and they are smaller/thinner, how do you do this without it breaking? I mean how much batter do you put in a pan? or do you fill it to the top let it dome and then cut it down?

please explain, sorry cake DUMMY....thanks!

DeniseNH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:22pm
post #17 of 29

Yes, I fill my pan 3/4ths full then use a long knife to level off the hump - while the cake is still in the pan then remove it and place on a platform - anything flat and then use the Agbay to cut it in half. If your cake has been falling apart during the cutting process then you either need to try a different recipe, wait till it cools more or freeze it then cut with the Agbay.

cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #18 of 29

[quote="2txmedics"]Cakegirl....so when you bake your cakes and they are smaller/thinner, how do you do this without it breaking? I mean how much batter do you put in a pan? or do you fill it to the top let it dome and then cut it down?please explain, sorry cake DUMMY....thanks![/quote

Generally, after the cake has cooled about 30-40 minutes, I will insert into the cake pan a couple of cakeboards and then put back in the cake. Then, I take a long knife and cut the cake. The knife rests against the top edges on the pan (on opposite sides of the pan) and serves as a guide so that the cut cake is level with the top of the pan. Works like a charm. HTH!

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 29

I have the double blade Agbay Leveler............LOVE IT! Level the top and torte the layer at the same time.

It's worth it's weight in gold!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 29

Agbay = best.cake.tool.ever.

I have the double and would like to have a single also.

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm
post #21 of 29

With all the rave reviews I think I know where a big chunk of my next tax return will go...

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:02pm
post #22 of 29

If I get the agbay, it is alright to just get the single layer? Or do I need to get the double?

DeniseNH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:34pm
post #23 of 29

Single has worked well for me for years. The double is good for those who like to tourt their cakes in thin layers.

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:04pm
post #24 of 29

I just ordered mine today after reading all the comments on the leveler. Should be delivered next week, can't wait.

DeniseNH Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 29

Congratulations! You'll love it so much that you'll hit your forehead with the palm of my hand after using it - saying "WHY did it take me SO LONG". icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:43pm
post #26 of 29

::blush::

My single came in the big brown truck this week. They've made some improvements! It's overall a bit lighter and the new blade guards are EXcellent!!

I use the double to tort and level cakes. I just used the single to "slice" off the icing on the top of the finished cake. Bam! level edges, flat top.

Yes, I'm spoiled and happy. icon_smile.gif

huskerfan Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:31pm
post #27 of 29

I pulled the trigger today and got it done. Ordered it and can't wait to receive my Agbay and put it to work! SUPER EXCITED!

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:09pm
post #28 of 29

Husker,
(we toldyaso) icon_smile.gif

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #29 of 29

Lea_s

when you say slice of the icing off the top of the cake...can you explain what you mean.

Sorry trying to picture how to use my new Agbay, I just got the double.

How many cuts to you make in one layer? 1 or 2?

Do I use the bottom blade to cut the cake in half and let the top blade level the cake/cut off the dome?

Help trying to understand how to use this great new tool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%