Our Duty As Decorators

Business By Kitagrl Updated 18 May 2011 , 9:02pm by YellowBrickRd

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:29am
post #91 of 141

Oh Snap! When did Cakecentral turn into cafemom? This thread ranks up there with the catty cafemom posts. Winning.

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:32am
post #92 of 141

Like I said I have only been decorating for 1 and 1/2 years. If someone sees my cake and then sees pics of my other cakes and likes my cakes and then orders a cake from me I am going to sell them a cake (as soon as it becomes legal and I can get legal that is. Wouldn't want anyone on here "knowing" all about me lol).

Anyways I think with out it being said the attitude on here to us "noobies" is if you haven't been baking for 10 + years and yoru cakes aren't up to this level don't even think about selling.

For the record I totally agree about the comments about customer service and owning up. I sold a couple cakes before I knew it was illegal (oops) and one of them started falling because I didn't stack it properly. I should not have been selling 2 tier cakes in the first place with such little knowledge so I get that all I really do.

Anyways I showed up at her house with a twenty dollar bill and about 300 apologies lol. The problem is some people just really need to be more careful with their words. It never would have become an us vs. them post if people didn't say things like "crappy novice cakes" or "we know who you are" with "you" being the "crappy" beginners.

Now my hubby is about to start the paramedic program and we are NOT going to have enough money to pay bills. I can help with making cakes (I am much better now) and I want a place that I can ask questions with out people making rude comments. If my cakes sucks please tell me but also tell me how to fix it if you know! I think thats where most of the beginners frustrations are coming from this post. Just sayen

Paperfishies Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:36am
post #93 of 141

Eh, I try not to put down others work, what's the point? We've all been beginners, we've all had questions. Even the ones who have been in the biz for 20 years have off days, where their cakes look like something you could pick up at walmart. I'm not perfect and I keep that in mind when handing out criticism.

I don't post pictures because I had my pics stolen from another site and then found them on someones site passing them off as their own, lol. Perhaps when I have time to watermark things, I may post some.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:56am
post #94 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

It never would have become an us vs. them post if people didn't say things like "crappy novice cakes" or "we know who you are" with "you" being the "crappy" beginners.

I gain take responsibility for making the "crappy cake" comment. It was rude.

But again, there is a major difference between someone claiming to be a professional, charging a professional price for a cake, making something the customer isn't happy with, posting a vent about how badly the customer sucked along with a picture of said cake, asking for advice on CC, then not being able to take the advice/opinions of other pros here when they take anything other then the decorator's side... and people posting actual baking/technique questions and asking for advice.

Jen

Bettyviolet101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:59am
post #95 of 141

Yeah I hear you on that. I will say I have seen a few posts like that. Did people really get upset when people gave honest feed back? I never saw the op of those posts get angry at the people giving constructive criticism. I could totally be wrong and just missed it though.

Paperfishies Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:02am
post #96 of 141

In the spirit of debate, what are the components that make one a "professional"?
DO you need school to be a pro? 30 years experience? What do ya need to reach that "pro" status?

I've been a freelance makeup artist for a while. I know what sets me apart from the "youtube boomers". And this is what I liken this Pro VS Newb feud to.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #97 of 141

I'd like it if someone could check out my pics and tell me if my cakes look professional...seriously I am beginning to doubt myself.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 18 May 2011 , 5:17am
post #98 of 141

As for the us vs them vibe that some of you have stated you felt in some of the forums: While I do appreciate the dedication and time it takes to be a professional (that's why its my HOBBY), my daughter is a newbie who wants to learn to see if she would like to go into this after college and sadly I don't feel like this is the place for her to learn. Too many people pick everything apart and its the unsolicited/uncalled for criticism and name calling that I don't want her to have to sort through. (Don't have to post that old you gotta be tough to be in business, we have experience outside the cake realm and already know it).

We all have a right to be heard and we all have a right to our opinion, however, policy is - "We aim to keep CakeCentral.com a positive, safe, and friendly environment for all that come here. We do not have any tolerance for cruelty, or unconstructive/ negative comments and posts. If you disagree with someone, or have had a negative experience we encourage you to share, but you must keep your comments respectful and constructive."

And by the way a "newbie" is a new person to the craft, a "Noob" or "Noobie" knows little and has no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it./ Just posting that because when I read through the posts I really didnt know what a Noob was and thought maybe some of you guys didn't either.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:21am
post #99 of 141

Wow, that's a lot to weed through! LOL.

The one thing I really remember about my reception was walking in and seeing the cake. It was NOT what I had asked for. At all. The flowers were wrong and (my brain isn't functioning due to fatigue) she did that thing where you paint the inside of the bag with food coloring so it colors the icing as it comes out. She placed them where I specifically said I didn't want them, coming out of the sides. AND... the cake was leaning. It also didn't taste very good.

I started with Wilton, I'll admit. I have been practicing and learning for several years now and I have gained some decent skill. I've pushed myself beyond my comfort zone and I've grown as a decorator. If asked to do a new technique or design element, I ALWAYS tell them that it's new for me and that I will do my best. And then I do. Every cake that comes out of my kitchen is as spot on as I can get it with the skills that I have. Every cake is special and every person deserves to see it and be happy. Because of that one cake experience. (She did an awful job on my SIL's cake too.)

I've never missed. I've never had someone come up after and say anything negative. Luckily. Partly because I try so hard to do a good job. But I am sure one of these days someone will complain, and thanks to all the ladies on here I have ideas of how I would help fix the situation calmly and with respect to how they are feeling. I have nothing but respect for those of you who do this for a living, each cake is stressful for me thanks to being OCD, especially those who deal with rough clients frequently. You are all a source of inspiration, and I am carefully filing away information for when my DH is done with school and it's my turn to pursue a dream. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:29am
post #100 of 141

I'd love to encourage people to start small. Don't take on that big order just yet. There's nothing wrong with starting small and staying there until your skills (baking, decorating, and business) are where they need to be in order to grow. I've learned a lot in the two years I've been selling cakes and I'm just now starting to grow. I've had friends and family encourage to go full blast from the beginning, but I refused to do it. Two years ago I had an acquaintance tell me I should open a shop, but no way, no how. Two years later and I'm still not ready for it. Small is okay, folks.

As far as doing what it takes, two weeks ago I pulled my first all-nighter to get a cake done correctly. It still wasn't perfect, but it was done to the satisfaction of my client- who gave me my first ever tip. icon_smile.gif My friend thinks I'm worrying too much, obsessing too much, researching too much, and practicing too much. Phooey! In my family, we say, "You gotta do what it takes to get where you want to go" and that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm dedicated towards reaching my goal. Heck, I just gave someone a $5 discount because I mistakenly thought her date was in July and not June. Of course, I didn't tell her about the discount until she actually booked with me, I just noted it on my calendar. I want her to know that even small mistakes are taken care of when you do business with me.

As far as straight lines, let my friend chuckle at me. Laser levels are my friend. I'm pretty sure that I'll never be able to free hand a straight line. I'm middle-aged and it hasn't happened yet. Instead, I find a solution- a laser level in this case. Do what you gotta do to provide the service and product to get you where you want to go.

sunshinecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshinecake Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:29am
post #101 of 141
Quote:
Quote:

And by the way, there are some members who claim to have legit businesses and we know you really don't. The area of the country will be a high rent area that does not allow home baking. Lots of posts arguing with the bigger names on this site, but no real depth in the knowledge of business. Yes, we know who you are. Unfortunately, those people who love to fight spout out senseless information, clouding the good advice give by the great businesspeople here who have valuable information to share. So please know that we know.

Wow that is just about the most awful thing I've ever seen posted anywhere by anyone. Who do you think you are, you horrible, anonymous hag? Some of the "big names" on this site make ugly cakes that end up on cakewrecks and their businesses have gone down in flames. What was your point again? Do you wake up in the morning in pain, determined to spread it around to as many people as possible? Sack up and post your web site or shut the hell up.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:43am
post #102 of 141

Cheatize that was a very nice post icon_smile.gif Thank you for the realistic encouragment I appreciate it.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 6:44am
post #103 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

I'd like it if someone could check out my pics and tell me if my cakes look professional...seriously I am beginning to doubt myself.

I think your cakes look awesome! thumbs_up.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:06am
post #104 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

oh boy, you peeps are fiesty! Makes for a good read icon_smile.gif

Congrats Jen on your baby!!!

Actually I don't think it is a good read. It's garbage. I'm amazed people don't have better ways to spend their time. Not reading any further.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:34am
post #105 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

IMHO your cakes are very professional, Evoir. The beautifully done 6 or 7 tier wedding cake with all those hand molded roses - WOW!

Please do not doubt your abilities and keep on cakin' icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 May 2011 , 7:53am
post #106 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I say we start a pact to bump this thread and keep it at the top of the forum for a while.

Please don't use bump it's an outdated method of keeping topics on the homepage....

The homepage gives visitors to CC a quick overview of topics currently being discussed. However, Jackie & Heath never intended members to be glued to the homepage waiting for the limited number of viewable topics to change.

Rather, using "view posts since last visit" allows members to view ALL the topics/posts made or discussed since your last CC visit - not just the posts entered since you logged on. (Why wait for 10 topics to change when you can view up to several hundred topics!)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 May 2011 , 8:27am
post #107 of 141

Moving this thread to the Business forum (since customer service IS an integral part of most successful businesses).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 May 2011 , 11:18am
post #108 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecake

Quote:
Quote:

And by the way, there are some members who claim to have legit businesses and we know you really don't. The area of the country will be a high rent area that does not allow home baking. Lots of posts arguing with the bigger names on this site, but no real depth in the knowledge of business. Yes, we know who you are. Unfortunately, those people who love to fight spout out senseless information, clouding the good advice give by the great businesspeople here who have valuable information to share. So please know that we know.

Wow that is just about the most awful thing I've ever seen posted anywhere by anyone. Who do you think you are, you horrible, anonymous hag? Some of the "big names" on this site make ugly cakes that end up on cakewrecks and their businesses have gone down in flames. What was your point again? Do you wake up in the morning in pain, determined to spread it around to as many people as possible? Sack up and post your web site or shut the hell up.

Wow, super Klassy response.

It's pretty easy to tell who's claiming to be legal when they're clearly in a state that doesn't license home businesses and they're posting pictures of their kitchens with dogs and little kids hanging around in the background, groceries all over the counter and glass stovetops that would never be found in a commercial kitchen.

And someone asked about people getting offended by constructive criticism...It does happen, and if you dare to give truthful feedback about something someone posts they will often crawl up your butt and call you a big meanie dream crusher.

I've seen people post pictures of horrible wedding cakes that the customer complained about, and when people on here agreed that it wasn't a good cake the OPs got all mad. They weren't looking for help, they were looking for someone to tell them that the customer is wrong. A couple of people have left the board entirely because they didn't like what people said about their customer service/skills/whatever.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:06pm
post #109 of 141

C'mon girls. Why does every thread have to turn into a fight? The point of this thread is NOT pros vs. newbies.

I am a self taught (mostly, barring a few really great experiences that taught me a lot) home baker. I worked unlicensed for awhile until I realized, understood, and was ready for licensing. Look through my pictures....my photos show a definite, slow improvement. I know people whose first cake looks better than the entire first half of my caking years. haha. So...that is NOT the point of this thread at ALL and I sure would hate to have it locked but I might need to request that soon.

My ONLY point was that, recently, I've seen quite a few threads where someone gets on here, says "The customer was SO MEAN because they were mad that this fell off the cake, or that I didn't have time to do what they asked, or that I didn't have enough supplies to finish their request, or the cake wasn't supported well enough to make the drive...and they are SO UNFAIR to be mad, because I gave them a great deal on a cake!" This is BAD customer service. I don't care if we've been decorating for a week or 20 years....we NEED to be sure that if we are charging customers a lot of money for a cake, that we deliver a nice cake. That's all I'm saying.

As long as your customer is happy that's great...I have many times I am not happy with my cake but the customer is...that's fine! But once the customer is disappointed, it is OUR job to make that right. We don't get mad at the customer or say "Well you got a nice cake, deal with it". We act like professionals and we admit our wrongs and we make it right.

This isn't about how long you've been doing this or if you are licensed (and I hate when people get on hobby horses about being licensed or using wires in cakes or any other number of argumentative topics) but all of us HAVE to remember that we are here to SERVE the customer...we are NOT doing them some kind of favor that deserves thanks, unless we are making a donation.

All I'm saying is, if someone is paying you $200 for a cake....do your best. And if you mess it up...make it right. Don't come here and bash your customer for being disappointed in a cake that wasn't done right.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #110 of 141

I got that completely Suzy...

No one was saying that if your customers are happy that you aren't making a good cake. There is room in this business for ALL skill levels. There is a market for the more simple cakes just as much as there is a market for the super elaborate ones.

The problem lies when a person agrees to make a cake that they know they can't do. The customer is (rightfully) angry for receiving a cake that was NOTHING like what they imagined and trusted the caker to provide. Then the caker comes here saying what a bitch the bride was to not like the cake and ask for a refund.

The problem had nothing to do with the bride. It was 100% on the caker. Even if the bride looks through pictures and can see that the skill level isn't quite the same, she put her trust in a caker who told her "yes... I can do that cake". The most common thing said is "you only charged her $150.00 for that cake... she should be thankful she got such a deal!". Ummmm... no. It doesn't matter what the bride paid... unless the caker specifically told her "this cake is above my skill level and will look NOTHING like the cake you have in that picture, but I am giving you a SUPER discount to make up for that" then it is 100% on the caker to refund the money and not bitch about it. It doesn't matter that you spent 100 hours trying to make it work... it only matter that you didn't make it work.

The truth of the matter is the vent should go like this:

"OMG... I can't believe I let my bride down. I promised a cake that I knew I couldn't produce and I ruined her big day. I am so angry at myself for biting off way more than I can chew on such an important occasion."

No one here would ever knock someone for trying something new and not succeeding at it. It's how you learn. It is critical to you getting better. That was not the point of this thread and if you walked away from it thinking it was then you didn't read the original post and got too caught up in a few off phrases or were personally offended when you shouldn't have been. This thread is not meant for the novice baker who is trying to figure it all out and it's not for the hobby baker who makes the occasional cake for a very happy customer. It's for the irresponsible "business" owner who doesn't have the ability to realize they shouldn't be in business just yet. The one who can't see that a little mor practice would make a WORLD of difference as well as having a firm grip on what they can realistically produce. You don't have to be Ron Ben Israel to be a cake decorator and have happy clients... you just have to be honest with yourself enough to be able to say to a client... "I'm sorry, but that cake is not something I could reproduce for you."

Not a single person here that many put in the category of "professional" has claimed they have never made a mistake. The difference is that they own up to it and, rather than dog their clients for not understanding that they didn't have the skills, they have the balls to say "I screwed up here's your money back".

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:06pm
post #111 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

C'mon girls. Why does every thread have to turn into a fight? The point of this thread is NOT pros vs. newbies.

Exactly. And the moment it turned was when people misinterpreted what was meant by the words "noob" and "troll." She was using common chat forum lingo... Noob = newbie = a new person on the forum (not a new caker). And troll = someone who makes a post, often off topic, just for the sake of starting trouble (it's not a form of name calling).

Please people, read carefully and make sure you understand what you're reading before you get all fired up! Everyone just ends up on the defensive and no one listens to what the other is REALLY saying.

Just my two cents.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #112 of 141

It wasn't the terms "noob" or "troll" that offended me... but the person who called out the decorators she deemed to be "unprofessional" by having what she assumes are unlicensed kitchens. That was taking it too far IMO.

Kitagrl Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:22pm
post #113 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

It wasn't the terms "noob" or "troll" that offended me... but the person who called out the decorators she deemed to be "unprofessional" by having what she assumes are unlicensed kitchens. That was taking it too far IMO.

Licensing is off-topic, so just ignore that.... we are going to assume everyone who is doing business is licensed for the sake of this discussion...

WykdGud Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:22pm
post #114 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Again, THIS is what I have a problem with. TOTALLY uncalled for in a forum that is supposed to be here to help other decorators - not chastise and chide them insinuating that the CC police are "on to them". Laughable!

WykdGud Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:27pm
post #115 of 141

And in defense of those who post here venting about the customers, I've seen many of the veteran decorators vent about customers and I felt the vents were totally unjustified (tired of customers not knowing how long it takes to make a cake, or how much a cake costs, or having a budget they need to stick to). I think the "newbies" are just posting in an effort to fit in and establish a bit of comraderie - I'm sure we all know when we screw up. I'd rather post on the individual thread offering my advice on that particular situation than start a thread insulting a group of people - I think it would be far more helpful.

Kitagrl Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:29pm
post #116 of 141

If you see this thread as an insult then you missed the point and I guess it should be locked.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #117 of 141

Jeeze louise....some people...

Listen, the point is that if the cake that was ordered was suppose to be blue and you give them a pink one, you didn't do your job.

Regardless of whether you've been decorating for 30 years or 3 months. It doesn't matter. If you sell, you are responsible for the product you put out.

And yes, some of the cakes on here are crappy -- by decorators standards. Which is what matters in this business because half the time, the cake muggles (I love that term!) think anything that's frosted is amazing. People pay for amazing cakes, not ok cakes. And what's worse, is the crappy cakes are sometimes by people who are always saying how people are telling them to sell their cakes, blah blah blah. Well, someone said American Idol tryouts and I agree. 100%

I think I am good at decorating; I'm not great and I'm not perfect by any standard. I can out decorate almost all the people I know. I cannot out decorate most of the people on here. The people who are my competitors. And regardless of whether I can out decorate my family matters about 0% when it comes to selling.

I KNOW I have a LONG way to go. The first thing I did was create a pricing matrix and I enter in every cake I make even though I am not selling. Then I ask myself: "Is this a $xxx cake??" If not, well, I'm not ready to sell yet. ALso, someone suggested to me and I think it's fabulous advise....take an "order" (pretend of course) and make the cake from start to finish. Fake contract to fake delivery. See what it takes from step one to step done.

I am in the works of getting my home business under way. Michigan just passed the Cottage Foods act so I am super excited to have a side business some day. It's always been a dream of mine to be a business owner. My husband and I owned a business franchise for a short time so I get the business side of things. I have a leg up on a lot of people.

This isn't about new to the business or old to the business. It's just about BUSINESS.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #118 of 141
Quote:

Isn't it unprofessional to lie about being a licensed and insured business, when they are obviously caking out of a home kitchen? And what I mean by obvious are those pictures where you can undoubtedly rule out the that the kitchen in the picture, around said cake, is in no way shape or form an inspected commercial kitchen. (please note that some areas do allow home kitchens, but they also wouldn't look unkempt and a mess with clutter all about the counters since passing inspection is important as is portraying a professional appearance- by being professional in all areas of your business.)

Trying to sell something they aren't licensed to do it very unprofessional. Furthermore professional's don't want to pass business advice to someone who isn't really in business, but is claiming/lying that they are. The difference is truly noticeable compared to an actual business owner who may be struggling with something and asking for advice.

At the end of the day people should own the situation they are in and be responsible for their actions, and not try to fake it in front of people who know better. No respect can come from that.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #119 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullysweet

Thank you for this post! I hope everyone reads this. It's just like this friend I have on Facebook. Lately she's been posting cakes that she's been making. Most of them are the shaped pans/star-tipped cakes, or "naughty themed". Just recently she's been making posts about how she's starting to sell them, and get her name out there, and what she should call her business. I want to reach through the computer screen sometimes and shake her! What are you thinking??!!! Not only are the cakes "not great looking" (to put it mildly!), but she's going into a "business" without knowing a thing about it! I'm in the process of getting my legal business of the ground and it's been a long process because of financial reasons. Every time I read one of her posts, I want to scream and I also want to scream at the people who are commenting that her cakes are good and encouraging her and giving her a big head. I feel the same way when I'm reading some of the posts on here. I have no problem with you making cakes for someone and work on your skills. But either don't charge them, or just charge supplies for goodness sake! Beyond the design of the cake, your cake shouldn't have uneven tiers, lumpy fondant, and sagging corners. You may be the best decorator, but if you don't have a nice "canvas" to start with, it's going to make any decoration look like garbage!!! Ahhhhh....thanks for the vent! lol

I have noticed this on fb also. People post their cakes and all of their friends tell them how awesome they are, because people are nice.Some of the cakes are pretty bad. You put yourself out there, and what are people to do, don't want you to feel bad, so they tell them how great your cakes are. They get a false sense of their skill level, and of course start selling cakes before they are ready.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #120 of 141
Quote:

Again, THIS is what I have a problem with. TOTALLY uncalled for in a forum that is supposed to be here to help other decorators - not chastise and chide them insinuating that the CC police are "on to them". Laughable!

Seriously? An illegal baker under minds what legal bakers do. It's insulting.

And I don't want to help someone who can't even take what I do seriously enough to get legal.

If you love making cakes and want to sell them, do it right. Or don't do it at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%