How Do I Keep My Buttercream From Cracking ??

Decorating By teesme2000 Updated 21 Jul 2017 , 9:53pm by kakeladi

teesme2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teesme2000 Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 27

Is there a certain recipe that I can use that does NOT crack ?? Seems like when I ice a big cake the night before and then go to move it, there are cracks in my icing.

Just wanting an icing that tastes good, covers well and does not crack. Am I asking for too much ??

Thanks !!

26 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 27

The cracks are usually caused by moving a cake that isn't on a strong enough board.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:53am
post #3 of 27

I agree with the previous poster. You need a stronger board.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:55am
post #4 of 27

I had the same problem until I started using Hi-Ratio shortening and SugarShacks icing recipe. Never ever have cracks now.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:56am
post #5 of 27

I agree also. Had the same problem until I switched to foam core board.

MrsAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAC Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:16am
post #6 of 27

What type of shortening do you buy that is "Hi-Ratio" shortening? annnd What is SugarShacks recipe? I have this same problems with my crusting bc recipe..

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 27

I use Sugarshacks icing, and still have cracks when I don't give the cake enough support, or have to move it too many times. I've begun using thin foamcore under anything larger than 10".

MrsAC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAC Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 27

but what about when you are stacking cakes? you cant really use foam core then can you? i bought the plastic plates and dowels for a wedding cake coming up and am worried about the cracking when moving and placing them together...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 27

Yes, you can use foamcore for all layers.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 27

For cakes 10" and smaller I hot glue 2 cardboard cake boards together. For any size larger than 10" I hot glue 3 boards together. Since I have started doing that and using Sugar Shack's buttercream icing (hi-ratio sweetx shortening) my icing never cracks.

I tried foam core before and hated it. Cutting it was a pain in the butt.

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 27

I agree with the previous posts that you need to use a strong enough board for your cakes but I also find that my buttercream (Sugarshack recipe with 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio shortening) is more susceptible to cracking if I don't use enough liquid and it is too dry and not creamy.

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 27

Where do you get Foamcore boards?

cai0311 Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:11pm
post #13 of 27

Foamcore is sold at craft stores.

Make sure your icing has enough fat:sugar ratio. The more fat (shortening) the less cracking. Sharon explains this in her buttercream video (from Sugar Shack).

missv1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missv1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 27

When you guys are referring to a "strong enough board", are you referring to the board in between the cakes or the main board that the stacked cakes is sitting on?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 27

You can cut foamcore with a hot knife and it cut like butter.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by missv1973

When you guys are referring to a "strong enough board", are you referring to the board in between the cakes or the main board that the stacked cakes is sitting on?

The base board.

cai0311 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:50pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

Both. If the cake I am working on is 6", 8" and 10" I glue two cardboard cake boards togeter for the 6" and 8". For the 10" I glue one cardboard cake board to the cake drum I am using as the main base. I never glue more than 1 cardboard cake board to the cake drum for the bottom tier. There is no point in that.

Pammiecakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pammiecakes4u Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:12pm
post #18 of 27

Do you use the same Sugarshack recipe to dam your actual layers in a multi tiered cake?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 27

I use foamcore exclusively.  I use a 1 inch thick board for my tiered cake baseboard, then 3/8 inch thick for tiers.

You can cut your own or skip the work and order them in ever size and shape from    www.cakethings.com

Pammiecakes4u Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 8:04pm
post #20 of 27

Ok what if I cannot get any hi ration shortening in a pinch? Does anyone have a suggestion for buttercream frosting that is less likely to Crack without hi ratio shortening? I plan on using the foam boards. 

My recipe is 1/2 cup  veg shortening.  One stick of unsalted butter. Three table spoons of vanilla. Approx 4 cups powdered sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk to soften. 

I always get cracks! 

Help me. Wedding is Saturday! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 8:35pm
post #21 of 27

........... Does anyone have a suggestion for buttercream frosting that is less likely to Crack without hi ratio shortening?..........

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing      Read all the way throught the recipe.  It is a great one for icing and piping that tastes great.   If your icing is cracking most likely there is not enough 'fat' &/or liquid to soften it.  Even though the recipe I suggest does not need any liquid it is soft and plyable and will not crack.

Pammiecakes4u Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 1:26pm
post #22 of 27

What would be the down side if I didn't use your final step to crust my bc? Is it more difficult to decorate a bc that doesn't crust? Will my fondant details slide right off the cake? 

kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 7:35pm
post #23 of 27

A bc crusts when there is more sugar to fat ratio.  All that means is that the bc will become 'dry' to the touch after it sits a few minutes to an hour - it will not smudge when touched.  Since I learned my decorating using bc I don't find it hard at all whether I use crusting or not.  Most fonant detail will not slide off the cake.  Pipe an open circle w/a small round tip on the back of the fondant piece & stick it onto the cake.  You may need to hold for a couple of seconds but after that it will stay put.  The other thing about fondant details is to make them as thin as you can.....like less than 1/4" thick but still thick enough to be handled when freshly made

Pammiecakes4u Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:43pm
post #24 of 27

Yes I'm familiar with bc crusting. But was curious more so about the non crusting bc you referred to. Thank you for the advise. I never stop learning. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 11:02pm
post #25 of 27

My icing doesn't crust.  You cannot use the paper towel method to smooth it...but I do fine with an angled spatula and bench scraper...

4 sticks butter (usually do 2 salted and 2 unsalted)

2 cups vegetable shortening (hi ratio is you have, but regular will work too)

2 pounds powdered sugar

2 tablespoons vanilla

Soften butter to room temp.  Combine butter and shortening in mix bowl and beat with WHISK to combine.  Stop and scrape down the bowl.  Add vanilla.  Beat on HIGH with the WHISK for 5 minutes...the butter will become really light in color during this time.

Switch to the PADDLE beater.  Add all of the sugar at once and cover with a damp towel if your mixer doesn't have a bowl shield.

Mix on LOW speed until it begins to come together (it will be REALLY stiff at this point). 

Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on LOW speed until mixture comes together. 

Increase to medium speed for 5 minutes...the icing will continue to smooth out and will be as smooth as silk by the end of the 5 minutes.

If too stiff, add some heated heavy cream or hot water a tablespoon or two at a time until you reach the desired consistency.

Pammiecakes4u Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 9:36pm
post #26 of 27

Ok made my first batch ever of sugar shack bc. Awesome stuff! However I don't think I have enough time to dam crumb coat and ice my cake. Would it turn out ok if I damn my layers with my regular bc and then cover with sugar shack?

kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 9:53pm
post #27 of 27

no problems

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%