What's Your Favorite Non-Perishable Filling For Spice Cake?

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 7 May 2011 , 3:11am by patrice2007

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 14

Hello! I am making a WASC spice cake for my mom for Mother's Day. I would like to fill the cake with somethinng other than bc. After looking through different recipes, I am running into problems finding one that DOES NOT need refrigeration and that is not too exotic. My mom is a meat and potatoes lady, so I need to find something simple, a little different, and yummy. Any suggestions? Thanks!

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 14

Believe it or not pineapple is good. OR apple pie filling icon_smile.gif I've also used bavarian creme (sleeved). I really like how each one combines w/spice cake - depending on my mood icon_smile.gif

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 14

I love to use sleeve fillings for my cakes, they do not have to be refrigerated. I have used the bavarian cream one with spice cake and it is great, you can also use the apple filling which is kind of like apple pie filling but the apples are chopped finely.

The other non-perishable fillings I use are bettercreme mousses.

2 cups liquid bettercreme
1 small package instant pudding mix (any flavor, either vanilla or butterscotch would be good with spice cake)
1/2 cup milk, juice, coffee flavoring syrup or other liquid of your choice depending on the flavor you want.

Whip in mixer until mousse consistency.

cakegirl1973 Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moranda

The other non-perishable fillings I use are bettercreme mousses.

2 cups liquid bettercreme
1 small package instant pudding mix (any flavor, either vanilla or butterscotch would be good with spice cake)
1/2 cup milk, juice, coffee flavoring syrup or other liquid of your choice depending on the flavor you want.

Whip in mixer until mousse consistency.

I don't have access to bettercreme where I live. Could I use my bc recipe? I use Sugarshack's buttercream.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 14

moranda

Have some bettercreme, have you ever tried just mixing it with cocoa powder to make a chocolate mousse. Do you have to use extra liquid when you add pudding?

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 14

I have never mixed the Bettercreme with cocoa powder but I have used chocolate pudding and it gives a light cocoa mousse filling. The only extra liquid I ever add is the 1/2 cup liquid.

Once I did chocolate pudding with Khalua flavored coffee syrup witht the Bettercreme and it was AMAZING.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:38am
post #7 of 14

I mix my buttercream with a few drops of cinnamon oil then fill the cake with an apple pie filling and the cinnamon buttercream. Make sure and dam the cake well.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:00am
post #8 of 14

Someone else posted that they use sugar free pudding straight in their buttercream so I don't see why you couldn't try it with the cheesecake pudding. I don't like sugar free anything so I would dissolve the regular cheesecake pudding in whatever liquid I normally add to my buttercream and then add in the paste. You may need a little extra liquid. Lorann's oil also makes a cheesecake flavoring. It's not quite cream cheese frosting but it's a nice substitute. Personally adding cinnamon to real buttercream sounds yummy yummy to me.

cakegirl1973 Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:08am
post #9 of 14

Thanks everyone!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:22am
post #10 of 14

2 c. confectioners sugar
1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c. shortening, softened
1 tbsp. heavy cream
1 tsp. clove, ground
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, ground
1/4 tsp. cinnamon, ground
1/4 tsp. salt

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #11 of 14

I make a cinnamon brown sugar cream cheese filling for my spice cake. It goes amazingly good with the spice cake! You can also try a condensed milk caramel filling or do a flavored pudding...like butterscotch etc.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:38am
post #12 of 14

I make some buttercream and then fold in apricot preserves. It was so good it's now my standard filling for spice cakes. I've also added dried apricots or chopped fresh apricots to the filling as well. Might try a little Lorann's apricot flavoring next time too.

So, in summary...apricots. icon_razz.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:46am
post #13 of 14

How about caramel mixed with buttercream?

Jodie F's caramel recipe here on CC is amazing.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:11am
post #14 of 14

The favorite one in my house is Caramel Filling.....the one I use is from right here on CC by Fragglerock 1. I use that as a filling then frost with buttercream and if you like coconut cover the outside with it Yum!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%