Adding Pudding To Box Cake Mix

Baking By Roscella Updated 26 Jun 2017 , 6:55pm by Exit282Sweets

Roscella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roscella Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 74

I heard that adding Jello pudding to box cake mix makes a moist cake. Do I need to add any thing else, like milk or extra egg?

73 replies
nannycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycakes Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 74

I always add an extra egg.

emms73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emms73 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 74

when i do the box mix i follow the extender recipe on here and still add a box of pudding it works out just fine for me and all my taste testers they love it hth

martinez73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martinez73 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 74

I always use the pudding mix and an extra egg.

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 74

I noticed recently my cakes were more moist when I use extra large eggs as opposed to 3 regular large eggs. I had stopped adding the pudding because it seemed to make the cakes "too" moist if there is such a thing.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 1:59am
post #6 of 74

I always add a box of pudding, 1 extra egg and 1/3 cup extra water...I always cook my cakes a little longer at 325 instead of 350 and everyone always raves about how moist they are. I've never had one that was too moist...use the smaller box of pudding per box of cake mix...the 3.4 oz.

miasmom82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasmom82 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:08am
post #7 of 74

I am making a tomorrow and wondering the same thing. I am trying to decide to make it from scratch or use a box mix with a box of pudding. Is the cake from box as good as a homemade one? I am making a chocolate cake with a cherry filling. I need a good cherry filling recipe too. Anyone have one?

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 74

I usually always use Betty Crocker box....I think its just as good as scratch....and saves alot of time

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 74

I either make from scratch or doctor up.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 74

This is what I have done for years and my cakes are very moist.
(1) box cake mix
(1) box instant pudding
(4) eggs
(1/2) cup oil
(1) cup water

Mix together for 2 minutes and bake at 325° for 35 - 40 minutes. Make sure your oven temp is correct.

weimmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weimmom Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 74

Thanks for the great info, I will try this for cupcakes tomorrow!  Also I have a weim puppy too, your pic is adorable :)

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 74

Had used the pudding with extra egg, etc with great success...until the smaller box mixes came into play icon_mad.gif The instructions on the side of the DH Classic Flavors box (for pound cake) are for the same amounts as the 'old' 18.25 size and let me tell you the results are NOT the same! Not only is there a smaller amount in the mix but the final product is weirdly different, even when I make up the difference with extra mix from another box.

Anybody else notice this??

Trina210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trina210 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 9:01am
post #13 of 74

Because of the the smaller box size, I've started weighing out 18.25 oz of the boxed cakes and that seems to work.  That way  I'm still using the same amount of pudding and eggs without any trouble.

Barbarann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbarann Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 12:34am
post #14 of 74

Thank you for the plain and simple measurements and cooking time for adding a box of pudding mix to a cake mix. Works out perfectly! Love simple tips and tricks! Thank you!

23Tgarza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
23Tgarza Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 1:14am
post #15 of 74

The best recipe for doctoring a boxed cake mix:

1 cake mix

1 cup of sifted flour

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of sour cream

4 large eggs

1 1/4 cup of liquid...I like to use the flavored coffee creamers.

My customers rave about these cakes...super moist

bake at 325 instead of 350.

seamusis20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seamusis20 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 1:15am
post #16 of 74

AI use a pudding box , cake box combo - & have for a long time now. I have found that the cake turns out more like a chocolate pudding. VERY MOIST. Perhaps TOO moist. I use a box of cake mix, an instant pudding, 1 large egg, 1/3 cup of oil and 1 cup of club soda. Any one with any helpful hints?

moms4angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moms4angels Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 10:05pm
post #17 of 74

How long do you cook it at 325

moms4angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moms4angels Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 10:07pm
post #18 of 74

If you cook it longer at 325 how long do you cook it?

seamusis20 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 10:28am
post #19 of 74

AI cook it for 1 > 1&half hours in a low oven (160*C) depending on the cake mix. I cook till my nice fine skewer comes out clean. Sometimes needing to drape it with brown paper like Mum used to do when the top is setting too soon

Nin55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nin55 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 74

I never tried flavored coffee creamers.  I'll have to try that.

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:38pm
post #21 of 74

A

Original message sent by 23Tgarza

1 cake mix 1 cup of sifted flour 1 cup of sugar 1 cup of sour cream 4 large eggs 1 1/4 cup of liquid...I like to use the flavored coffee creamers.

My customers rave about these cakes...super moist bake at 325 instead of 350.

I use this very recipe and play around with pudding favors to enhance the flavor of the cake.The lemon cake mix with lemon pudding is awesome. The only difference for me is that when I use a pudding in the mix I increase the water to 1 1/2 cups, and I use slightly warm water. I never thought about using creamers though! I have some peppermint creamer in my fridge that is going to become a mint chocolate cake as soon as the baby wakes up!!

seamusis20 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:08pm
post #22 of 74

ASounds good =) . I generally put an espresso or double espresso in my chocolate cakes. Coffe just seems to make a chocolate cake bloom doesn't it? I'm going to try your boxed recipe too. See how it compares with mine. The family are only too happy to pass judgement on ANY chocolate cake :). LOL.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:27pm
post #23 of 74

AFor doctored cake mixes, I do 1 betty Crocker cake mix, 1 small box instant pudding, 4 eggs, 1/4 oil, and 1 1/2 cups whole milk. I put the eggs and all liquids in my stand mixer, then dump the cake mix and pudding on top. 30 seconds on low speed, then about 1.5 minutes on medium. Remember the order you mix your ingredients, and how much mixing you do prior to adding all the ingredients, changes the texture of your cake. This produces a moist cake that is still sturdy enough to be carved. The only time it was too moist is when I wrapped it before it was completely cooled and put it in the freezer. Doesn't need that extra moisture at all! I also add little high quality vanilla extract, even to chocolate. It seems to brighten the flavors a bit. Also, along the same lines of adding coffee to chocolate cake, try adding a pinch of cinnamon. You can't taste it in the cake, but it brings out the flavor.

Honestly I agree with the belief that most customers like the idea of a scratch cake best, but go crazy over a doctored cake mix when it's done right.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 8:59pm
post #24 of 74

ASounds good :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:15pm
post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Tgarza 

1 cake mix

1 cup of sifted flour

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of sour cream

4 large eggs

1 1/4 cup of liquid...I like to use the flavored coffee creamers.

This is my *original* WASC recipe.  Glad to hear how much it is appreciated :) 

I actually use only 3 whole eggs.  \

ANY cake flavor can be used and so can a container (6 oz) of yogurt instead of sour cream.   Check out my post on this recipe for many more hints and options.

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:15pm
post #26 of 74

ADoes anyone know if pudding can go inplace of eggs in a cake to keep it moist/dense? Egg allergy:(

bluesky222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluesky222 Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:41pm
post #27 of 74

can you use the Jello" Cook and Serve" pudding or does it have to be the instant?

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 6 May 2013 , 3:49pm
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky222 

can you use the Jello" Cook and Serve" pudding or does it have to be the instant?

Instant.

bluesky222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluesky222 Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:57pm
post #29 of 74

thank you!

MISS TAMMIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MISS TAMMIE Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:46pm
post #30 of 74

AQuestion, when a recipe says 1C sifted flour, does that mean 1C before sifted or 1C after sifted. Cause after it's sifted it's always a little more than a cup. Thanks for all they great recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%