Clay Extruders

Decorating By Kread Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm by metria

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 15

Hi! What's the best one for Fondant/gum paste? Any tricks I should know about? Thanks!

14 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 15

The black and red one seems to be very popular, because it can be done with one hand. Although I have heard if they break down you're screwed because they have so many parts in them. There is a silver one on the market which looks a bit dodgy. I bought the green one which you must use two hands to use, because I read good things about it, and you can fit quite a bit more fondant inside it.

As for tricks, make a sausage out of your fondant smaller than the hole it's going into, and then rub a little bit of shortening over it, to make it come out easier.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 15

I have the green one, I forgot the name of it. I found it on ebay, works great, not that expensive.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndim

I have the green one, I forgot the name of it. I found it on ebay, works great, not that expensive.

Thats the Makin which is the same one I have and it works great for me too. My advice is to make sure to lube it up with plenty of crisco - both the fondant and the extruder itself.

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #5 of 15

I've bought the red and black one, through Sharon's website. Still no problems, but I haven't used it much. So much better than a silver push thingamabobber.

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #6 of 15

Great! Thanks for the info!

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #7 of 15

You can also make one with a caulking gun and water piping.

Mimi209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimi209 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:42am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMillie

You can also make one with a caulking gun and water piping.

MadMillie would you mind sharing how this is done. I have been trying to picture this in my mind and it's not working for me. What type of discs do you use to make the shapes?

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:50am
post #9 of 15

DON'T GET THE SILVER/METAL ONE!!! It is TERRIBLE!!! I bought it and it is hard to work with doesn't work well at all... very frustrating and not worth the stress...

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 11:57am
post #10 of 15

Here are 2 videos explaning how to make.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 15

The best extruder I've found is by Artway. It's MUCH larger than all the other ones out there and really has a lot of pressure to it.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 15

Love the MAKIN one from Hobby Lobby. I just work some crisco into my fondant and roll like a sausage and put in. I've never had to lube the barrell...I just use lots of crisco in the fondant itself.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 15

Michaels has a clay extruder in the clay section (imagine that) that works great and not too expensive. Its has a black barrel and comes with many different dies. It hand crank (not a trigger).

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 15

I use the Makin as well. The local cake shop sells a giant one which would be great if you do big cakes.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm
post #15 of 15

i've been using my Makin a lot past few days and found that i dislike that you have to have 2 hands to use it. i was extruding very long pieces to make borders and it's difficult to guide what's coming out when you're struggling to hold and twist the thingie. i haven't tried any other, but it's something to consider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%