How Much Gumpaste (Lbs) For 200 Roses?

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 22 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm by aswartzw

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make about 200 roses (avg. size 2"), all the same, no rosebuds.

Any idea how much gumpaste I'll need? I'd hate to run out before I'm done.

6 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

Wow! I can't imagine making that many roses! I know this sounds silly, but why not make one, weigh it, and multiply by 200? Give a little extra for breakage and you should have a good solid number to work from.

aswartzw Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Wow! I can't imagine making that many roses! I know this sounds silly, but why not make one, weigh it, and multiply by 200? Give a little extra for breakage and you should have a good solid number to work from.

Good idea just no scale. icon_sad.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

I have only made roses once for this cake -
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1800635

I used 2 lbs of gumpaste for approximately 36 roses. I made 32 medium roses and 4 large roses and had a little gumpaste left over. I used the 5 petal cutters from PME. I purchased the centers so I did not use GP for that. Then 3 layers of petals if that helps. Also I used a pasta roller to roll out the GP pretty thin which cuts down on the amt of GP required.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 7

Good Lord!! I would buy them - CakesbySam has AMAZING roses. We stopped making them since they were soooo time consuming. His are beautiful and cheap!! A little petal dust and you can have any color. Good Luck!!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 7

It really depends on how you make your roses. When you're dealing with petals that are paper thin, it's not that big a stretch for my petals to be twice as thick as yours. Doesn't seem like much for one rose. But when you're making 200 roses, that difference can be huge. If I have a finer hand than you and make my petals just a hair thinner than you, that could double or triple the amount you'd need compared to me. So if I need two pounds, you may need four or five pounds to make 200 roses.

cupdeecakes is right. Weighing one that you made is the only real way to know how much you'll need for that big a quantity. Every kitchen needs a digital scale and you can get a good one for $20. Get yourself one for Christmas.

aswartzw Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice guys.

I won't order them b/c I'm making this cake as my contribution to my aunt and uncle's anniv. party and it's not as budget friendly. Plus, I really love making these. I find it therapeutic for some strange reason.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%