How To Get Sheen On Fondant Bow

Decorating By Folsomsweetcakes Updated 2 Dec 2010 , 12:19pm by allaboutcakeuk

Folsomsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Folsomsweetcakes Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 13

I made a chocolate Fondant bow, but it's looking too matte, like a tootsie roll!! I would like to add some sheen (not too shiny, thoughicon_smile.gif...any suggestions? Luster dust? What color? Thanks!!!

12 replies
cakeapprentice1923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeapprentice1923 Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 13

try a little cornsyrup and vodka

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Nov 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 13

Brush or rub on frisco if you don't want it shiny shinyicon_smile.gif

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 13

Yes you can use luster dust, the color depends on your cake colors. I have used the copper/brown luster dust on the chocolate fondant and it looks really cool. Just depends on the effect, you can use pearl sheen, but it tends to look a little lighter. Next time try using a texture on your bow...then it won't look so flat. Hope that helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 13

Yes you can use luster dust, the color depends on your cake colors. I have used the copper/brown luster dust on the chocolate fondant and it looks really cool. Just depends on the effect, you can use pearl sheen, but it tends to look a little lighter. Next time try using a texture on your bow...then it won't look so flat. Hope that helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 13

Hand held steamer is a good invention. Careful not to melt the fondant though.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

icon_lol.gif San Franfrisco? icon_lol.gif

I live to type typos--I'm the typo queen and I totally know what you mean I just thought it was cute!!

Frisco is the name of the cake sheen fairy--rub on her head and she will put the right amount of shine on your bow!!!!!!

icon_lol.gif

shoot me please

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 13

Shortening spray (cooking oil can) sprayed into container and brushed on bow works for really shiney look. Vodka and Corn syrup mixed well and brushed works too. Never tried a steamer. My candy cake in my pic's has the spray and it stayed shiney. Bow was fondant/tylose.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 13

What about using some pearl dust?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 13

I used my iron to give some shine to fondant leaves. Just double check that your steam setting doesn't drip or spit water! I held it parallel to the counter where the cutouts were laying and steamed them no more than 6-7 seconds at once.

It was MMF, but it did get shiny!

P.S. Kate, your post cracked me up.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 13

Heehee..frisco...that is actually from the stupid auto-correct on my phone. I know better than to reply on my phone.

cakeapprentice1923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeapprentice1923 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

icon_lol.gif San Franfrisco? icon_lol.gif

I live to type typos--I'm the typo queen and I totally know what you mean I just thought it was cute!!

Frisco is the name of the cake sheen fairy--rub on her head and she will put the right amount of shine on your bow!!!!!!

icon_lol.gif

shoot me please

lol, ur great kate icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 12:19pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folsomsweetcakes

I made a chocolate Fondant bow, but it's looking too matte, like a tootsie roll!! I would like to add some sheen (not too shiny, thoughicon_smile.gif...any suggestions? Luster dust? What color? Thanks!!!

Hi, I use one layer of confectioners glaze. Either brushed on or I buy the spray cans gives it just enough sheen but you can layer it if you want it to have more sheen
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%