Texas Baker's Bill Coming Up In 2011

Decorating By kse Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 2:21am by kelleym

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 21

"Pass the Texas Cottage Food Law ("Baker's Bill"), making it legal for home bakers to sell baked items like cakes, cookies, and brownies, from their home kitchens." www.texascottagefoodlaw.com

I would like to see this pass with a limit of making only $15,000.00 per year. I don't want to see the larger legal baker's get upset and maybe this would help so everyone could win.

OK; I am ready for all comments, good or bad (gulp!!!!) I would like feedback though.

20 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 21

I'm so excited about the billicon_smile.gif I was so disappointed in 2009 when it didn't even get read. I'm not sure how I feel about the $15,000 limit. That's only 50 $300 cakes in one year. I don't do $300 cakes but I would love to some dayicon_smile.gif and sculpted cakes and gumpaste work can add up quick. Also how would that be enforced. If we make the state enforce it that's more work for them and I think that hurts the bill. I'm wondering if a better limit would be employee based. You can't have employees unless you have a separate inspected kitchen. That would definately limit the production level but again I wonder about enforcement.

Do you know how other states are doing it? Do they have limits on income or production?

Thanks for starting the threadicon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 21

Yes, the bill is currently being drafted. We will have to wait to see what the first draft contains, and if its author wants an income limit. Your feedback is definitely valuable!

Iowa is the only state that I am aware of with an annual income limitation of $20,000. Personally, my feeling is that while an income limitation may soothe the fears of the opposition, it is really just window dressing. Home kitchens aren't meant to pump out $20,000 worth of baked goods in a year. If you reach that level of income, you're going to need to move to a commercial kitchen, just to keep up with production.

Please become a fan of the Facebook page, and invite your Texas friends and family, so we will be ready to hit the ground running with an army of supporters!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Texas-Bakers-Bill/292920830821

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 21

Please lets keep this going count me in

Molly icon_smile.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 21

Hi Kelley,
I did just join the fan page. If we signed the petition for the 2009 bill do we need to resign for the new bill?

kelleym Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 21

No, if you signed before you do not need to sign again.

The petition was used as a way to show our representatives the level of interest in the bill. I think we have accomplished that, and then some. thumbs_up.gif It is now just a way to give folks something to "do" before the elections. After the elections, the most important tool we will have is our telephones. Our representatives HAVE to hear from us about this bill!

It is going to be a tough session. Two big issues are redistricting and the budget. We are going to have to work the phones extra hard to make sure that our little bill doesn't get lost in the scuffle. We are fortunate that the bill will be pre-filed, which gives it a much better chance of getting through the system before time runs out, like last time.

I will be mainly conducting this "campaign" on Facebook, simply because it gives me the tools to communicate with a large group of people very quickly and easily. So stay tuned to the page! Exciting things are in store! icon_smile.gif

kelleym Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 21

I want to remind all the Texans here that the 2011 Legislative session begins TUESDAY 1/11/11!

The Baker's Bill is in the final stages of the draft being tweaked. When it is filed, I will start a new thread with detailed information about the bill, its sponsors, links, etc.

For now -- PLEASE "like" the Facebook page for the bill linked in my post above, and tell all your Texas friends and family about it. If you know any home bakers who are not here on CC, get them involved! We are a grassroots movement and we need as much support as we can get. It's going to be a rough session. Two big issues are the budget shortfall, and redistricting. We have a tough fight ahead of us, but remember how far we got last time! We are starting earlier and we have more momentum. I feel that our chances are good, but we need EVERYONE'S help.

This bill is good for Texas. It promotes self-reliance and entrepreneurship, two qualities that I hold dear. Spread the word.

Thank you!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:13am
post #8 of 21

Thank you for the update.

Molly thumbs_up.gif

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:24am
post #9 of 21

thanks for the update too

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 21

Are any of you from Austin? I need some help!

TEI-BEE-BEE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TEI-BEE-BEE Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 21

Thank you soooooo much for posting this! I am a Texan and the passing of this bill (with or without the limitations) would mean the world to me!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 21

Just liked the page on facebook....! thumbs_up.gif

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 21

I would love to see the bill passed but after watching our Legislature at work in 2009 I am not optimistic. I don't really see how they get anything done.

Anyway, I think the income cap is fine. I am hoping for the best.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:07pm
post #14 of 21

Count me in as well.

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 21

Keep up the great work Kelly and let me know if there is ANYTHING I can help with!!!!

Txanjel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Txanjel Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:04pm
post #16 of 21

Just liked the facebook page as well!!!

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm
post #17 of 21

I'm so excited!!! Count me in!! icon_biggrin.gif

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 21

Just liked the page...I also made my husband like it...haha!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 9:36pm
post #19 of 21

I'M IN!!! Not in the austin area but will try to help with anything I can!!

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:36pm
post #20 of 21

Wow, this would be GREAT if it passed! I'm from outside the Houston area. Keep us informed. Thanks!

kelleym Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:21am
post #21 of 21

Ok, the state's web site has finally been updated to reflect the new members of the legislature.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

Please go to this link to see who your STATE REPRESENTATIVE and STATE SENATOR are. Then, please email me at [email protected] and tell me who they are so I can keep track of where we have supporters. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%