Grr....no More Cakes For Family!

Lounge By Minstrelmiss Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm by Minstrelmiss

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 56

I need to vent, my husband is sick of hearing it icon_rolleyes.gif

Last year I made my niece (husband's brother's daughter) an Alice in Wonderland cake. No thank you, at all, even from the mother. Humph. Rude people.

Last year: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1464499

This year I decided I was not going to make everyone bday cakes like I did last year because I was spending more money than I would have if we had just given gifts. Well, softy here had an extra 4" round after an order and decided last minute to make it up special for my niece.

She wanted to have dinner at Ponderosa (yack). We delivered her cake early so it would be a surprise. When they brought the cake out, the family (8 of us total) were crazy about it saying, "Wow! See what happens when you make reservations!" "Look, they even put it on a mirror because the know we own a glass company!" "I can't believe they went out and made a special purchase just for Gabby! I wonder where they bought it from!"

This year: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1805616

I'm looking round at them thinking, "Are you guys crazy? Pondersosa doesn't care where you work, or even that it's her birthday!" I said to my niece as her mom snaps a ton of pictures, "I made that for you Gabby."

She said that I couldn't have made a cake that nice. icon_eek.gif

I'm done. Old enough to know better and no one said a word to her. She's her mother's child...

Thank you for listening, the steam is dissipating.

55 replies
LePetitCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LePetitCakes Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 56

Ugh...people are so ungrateful! I completely agree with not doing any more cakes for them. Rude! Rude! Rude!

Family seems to be the worst though. My SIL did the same thing to me with the cake I did for my neice's birthday last year. No thank you from my neice or my SIL. And the cake was given in addition to a gift. This year I'm not doing any cakes for them. If I'm going to take the time and effort to make a cake, you better believe that I'm going to do it for someone that truly appreciates it.

Minstrelmiss Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 56

I agree! I would have gotten a slap across the mouth if I had said anything like that, even now! icon_rolleyes.gif

We have missed my SIL's bday some years because of weather, sent a gift...nothing. No more. I'm with ya LePetitCakes, only for those who appreciate the work, time, and love that goes into each cake.

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 56

Ugh.. I'm sorry for that. I completely understand. I am also tired of people thinking just because I make cakes, that all of a sudden nobody I know has to buy a cake anymore. It is my responsibilty to cover cakes for all events of everyone I know. I was complaining about this very thing to my best friend yesterday and she actually said, "what's the big deal?"

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 56

Seriously?!! Someone's child actually said that and left the restaurant still being able to sit??

WOW.

Minstrelmiss Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 56

Thanks for the laugh jentreu!

My husband thinks I am overreacting. "She's just kid.." Well, her parents aren't just kids. When we went over to her house later to give her presents, no thank you then either for the gift.

Next year she will get a coupon that her present has been donated to charity! (Not really, but it makes me feel better icon_razz.gif )

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 56

I cannot believe that! icon_sad.gif So rude it's ridiculous....I would have said something. Sorry that happened, I do not know how she could say you couldn't make a cake that nice after seeing your Alice cake, it is awesome!!! I saved it to my favs.

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 56

You go girl!!!

Don't bother making cakes for them. Let them buy it from the supermarket.

What a terible thing 2 say 2 you.

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 56

In my best "Janice" (from the show Friends) impression, I say "OH! MY! GOD!!!!!!" icon_surprised.gif

I probably would have turned beet red with anger icon_mad.gif and then excused myself to go cry icon_cry.gif ....but that's just me

I agree - no more cakes for them....and I do like the idea of donating her gift to charity - someone who may truly appreciate it!!!

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 56

For her next birthday, maybe she should get a switch. (That is what I would have gotten for acting in that manner. I wouldn't have been sitting for a while.)

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 56

How rude - I wouldn't make anymore cakes for them either. When I make them for my family, my favorite part is just them saying thank you and actually appreciating all my work!

My "best friend" wanted me to make her sons first birthday cake... keep in mind, her family is extremely well off, they own a professional sports team well off. Anyways when I told her the price she balked and then asked me if I had already bought his gift!! You know, because everyone spends $300 on a birthday present for a one year old. icon_confused.gif

Minstrelmiss Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 56

You guys are making my day! My husband thinks I was overreacting.

Even after I told her I did indeed make the cake, she still didn't believe me. I showed her the picture I posted, taken from my house, and hour away! I want to blame the child but I know I should blame the parents. Maybe her cake should go to charity! That would be great. Find a family at a church that could use some help. thumbs_up.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 56

OMG. I feel your pain.
I have two wonderful brothers. On the other hand one married a wonderful girl who I gladly call my sister, shes so great. the other one is my brothers wife. no relation. She is mean and nasty not a good thing to say about her. She stood at a birthday party and told people she taught me how to decorate.She never made a cake in her life. my husband took me by my hand and took me outside because I was going to kill her in front of everyone and show them how to ice a fruitcake. This chic is nuts.

They say you can pick your friends not your relatives. tooo bad icon_biggrin.gif

mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #14 of 56

OMG -- it is amazing how rude some people can be. The really sad part is many times these people believe they are kind and normal! Sorry this happened to you. Hugs.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 56

I would not have been so quiet about their transgressions! I would have out and out said, I made that cake, the Pondarosa doesn't know you people from squat, and what a bratty, rude thing to say to your aunt who cared enough about you to do that for you! Then I would have picked up the cake and walked right out the door. To H, E double hockey sticks as to what my husband would have thought. Rude behavior gets rude behavior in return in my book!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 56

Just curious, how old is this girl? And did the parents hear her say that? If not, I would tell the parents straight up, what she said, and that she will not be getting a cake next year because she obviously doesn't appreciate it.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #17 of 56

I made a Toy Story cake for my step-grandson for his 6th b-day. Not nearly as beautiful as your cakes. He looked at me and said, "Grandma you did a great job. I love you." This from a 6 year old. I had tears in my eyes. He gave me the gift that day. We don't use the "step" in front of "grandson" in my family, but I tell you about it so you will know what a big hearted kid he is. He has accepted me as "grandma" from day one. How lucky am I.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #18 of 56

Yep - your hubby thinks you're overreacting because it's HIS side of the family that's being so rude. Been there. They never see it as bad behavior and instead of brushing it off as YOU overreacting, he should be supporting you after all the hard work you've put into the cakes. Bad hubby...bad bad hubby. icon_razz.gif

It's a shame we can't pick our family sometimes. I say no more cake for them if they're going to be that rude and ungrateful. Save it for someone who truly appreciates your talent and hard work.

PS - LOVE the idea of donating next year's birthday gift to charity! Sometimes kids (and adults) need a wake-up call.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 56

Both beautiful cakes icon_smile.gif

Think i can feel a dreadful contagious illness coming on next year about 4 hours before its her birthday - i know, its sad icon_wink.gif but hey on the up side - you don't have to make a cake - don't have to sit in the company of rudeness - you won't be ignored by Mrs rudeness nor will you have to hear some back handed comment from little miss mini me rudeness either.

Sounds like a plan thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Can't believe you DH said - *she's just a kid - true i guess altho he did omit one word - that being........... rudeness.

It must be an inherited thing that passes down from female to female -
Like mother like daughter.

Sadly, breeding is legal for all - and one day little miss mini me rudeness will produce another just like herself.
The cycle must be stopped - lollllllllllll

But as i said above - beautiful cakes.

Bluehue.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:09pm
post #20 of 56

Your cakes are beautiful!! I would have cried if anyone gave me either of those cakes.

You are a generous soul for being so kind to your niece. Sadly she doesn't seem to have been taught manners in terms of even saying thank you. My own mother would have without hesistation slapped my face in front of the whole crowd - birthday or not. I grew up with 5 siblings and all of us to this day say please, thank you, send thank you notes etc. I would just chalk it up to a "lesson learned" and move on. I do hope that as she grows up she looks back one day and regrets her behavior and tells you how much she really did appreciate your cake.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #21 of 56

Ah, nieces and nephews...

For my niece's 7th birthday, she requested Rainbow Cat S'more's cake (graham cracker cake with marshmallow and ganache filling), that I'll freely admit was pretty ugly (my first two tier-and I was in a cast to my elbow), but the thing is...she loved the way it looked but wouldn't even try it. "I don't like cake".
Well, good thing she told me that before I spent all that time (and money) baking her a cake!

My 5 year old nephew requested a Ben 10 cake for his birthday last year..it wasn't great looking, but I wasn't too unhappy with it. When he saw it, he patted my hand and said, "It's okay, Auntie Mandy, I bet it tastes good".

Sigh.

icon_razz.gif

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #22 of 56

Arrrgh I would have been so mad if that had happened to me and you have every right to be annoyed.
I dont care it the child is 2 or 20 age is no excuse for bad manners!!
I only make cakes for my 2 nieces as extra gifts because they are always thankful and dont take me for granted anyone else in my family who wants a cake I always say yes no problem I can make a cake for you and always charge them even if it only covers the ingredient costs.
Next year I wouldn't even put the oven on !!! lol

abgisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abgisme Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #23 of 56

It sounds to me like the girl's comment was a bit of a compliment. She thought the cake was so beautiful it couldn't have been made by someone she actually knows.

As for last year, yes, you should have been thanked profusely for the beautiful work - if not paid.

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #24 of 56

I would take the biggest and best cake I made this year (coming up) and put her name on it, take a picture and send the picture as her gift next year! And be very ill that day!!

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #25 of 56

When I make cakes or desserts for my family all I get is rave reviews and a million thanks.

Like I said, let them buy it from a supermarket

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:51pm
post #26 of 56

well that is very unfortunate...but some people just are not nice...i hope you continue to make wonderful fun cakes...and get better and better...those people will wish you made cakes for them...better yet they will see your awesome work and want one from you and that is when you treat them like everyone else....no family discount, you pay just like everyone else!!!!! hahahahahahaha well your hardwork is not for nothing ... i am sure i am not the only one here who appreaciates and understands all the love, sweat and hard work that went in to it!!!! Great job and Good luck!!!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #27 of 56

I would have told her 'So glad you like it, perhaps Ponderosa will be making your cakes from now on!'
And then stick to your guns. Sorry, but if someone is rude...no matter which side of the family you're on, you have every right to say something. I mean, what have you got to lose?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:31am
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

She wanted to have dinner at Ponderosa (yack). We delivered her cake early so it would be a surprise. When they brought the cake out, the family (8 of us total) were crazy about it saying, "Wow! See what happens when you make reservations!" "Look, they even put it on a mirror because the know we own a glass company!" "I can't believe they went out and made a special purchase just for Gabby! I wonder where they bought it from!"

I'm not really sure I understand. Does your husband's brother and wife not know you make cakes? Did you husband not say, "My wife made this cake" I really don't understand how a party of 8 were not told by you or your husband that the Ponderosa didn't make the cake, you did. Is the niece the only one you told about making the cake? I can't even begin to imagine myself in your place and not having someone, me, husband, waitress, say, "Oh, this isn't from the Ponderosa, I made it and delivered it before you arrived so it could be a surprise." Did you get hurt feelings when you told the niece and she said, "no way" and then neither you nor your husband said anything? You could have had the waitress tell them who provided the cake. Not saying they weren't rude--but cannot understand why no one said anything to the other 5 people present beside you, husband, and disbelieving niece.

laceycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:06am
post #29 of 56

I think next year's cake should be an upside down cake. Not pineapple upside down cake. . . but a cake that was accidently (on purpose) dropped . . . upside down. icon_evil.gif Not that I would actually do that, but it sounds good doesn't it? icon_biggrin.gif

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:32am
post #30 of 56

I have three sons and had any of the three of them been that rude (well the 2 one doesn't really talk yet) I would of lost it! I might not be a perfect mom, but I'm will not have my kids being rude when people do nice things for them. You are very nice, because I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut.
I always tell people......I'm not mean, I just say out loud what other people are thinking.... Deal with it!
Both of your cakes were beautiful and I too agree her next gift should be a ticket showing how you make a donation to some charity. GREAT idea!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%