Yard Sale Find Of The Century!!!

Decorating By Win Updated 25 Aug 2010 , 12:10am by maude

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 27

My husband and I are Saturday morning yard sale junkies... last week I got a hanging pot rack for $8.00 (still see it in Lowe's for $99.00.) I was thrilled.

THIS WEEK I got a (working) KA Classic with it's entire accessory pack (pasta, juicer, grinder, etc.) for $20.00!!!! I'm still doing my happy dance! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

edited 4 typo

26 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 27

Congratulations....guess I need to get my butt up and start garage sale hopping!!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 27

Whoo whooooo!! good for you!!!!! Im doing the happy dance for you!!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 27

Congrats on your find! I love garage sales. My and my DH went a couple of weeks ago for the whole day found a cute little odds and ends for the house.
We got home and there was an add on craigs list of garage sale left overs in our area. They lady left everything out in her front yard and what didn't get taken she was taking to goodwill. I got the cutest Longaberger snowman purse for free that looks like it's never been used!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 27

So exciting! I love "treasure"! I found a couple magic line pans in perfect condition in my mother's attic that had belonged to my grandmother, it was, like I found a diamond ring or something icon_biggrin.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 27

I love yard sales!!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 27

I soo happy for you it's almost like it happened to me!!!! Thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 27

Happy Dance icon_surprised.gif , think i would have done cart wheels around the yard with that great find - lollllllllllll
I love my pasta attachement to my KA - it rolls out my regalice/fondant so thin - its wonderful.

I can see many a happy *caking* moment in the future for you Win...
Congrats thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue

Win Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 27

Thanks everyone! I knew my CC friends would "get" how thrilling a find like that is, and wanted to share the minute I got home.

Tiffany, finding that Longaberger purse is right up there with the KA! Those were expensive when they were introduced...

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 27

I am happy for you! I have to check out more yard sales.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Thanks everyone! I knew my CC friends would "get" how thrilling a find like that is, and wanted to share the minute I got home.

Tiffany, finding that Longaberger purse is right up there with the KA! Those were expensive when they were introduced...

I looked it up and it's 23.99 now. That's expensive for a purse I'll only use once a year, so that was pretty exciting! Plus I collect snowmen.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 27

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I love finding treasures too, happy for you and maybe a little green with envy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 27

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is fantastic--- congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 27

icon_surprised.gif $20.00....omg I'll more then do the happy dance for ya!!!!! I would do cart wheels if I could icon_redface.gif !!!!!!!!

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 27

I love garage sales. I need a T-shirt or bumper sticker that says "I decorate cakes to support my garage sale habit." icon_biggrin.gif

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 27

$20?!?! OH my word that IS a fantastic find!!! I love going yardsaling! icon_smile.gif

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 27

Here's what my $20 got me this weekend!

I'm getting ready to set up a display booth and needed some pedestals, I'm very happy with what I got!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #18 of 27

Daaaaang, you guys sure know where to look! I wish I found good deals like that! icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 5:53pm
post #19 of 27

The only things I ever see at garage sales are ugly polyester clothes and broken down useless junk.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #20 of 27

I got a broken KA mixer at a church yard sale for $2.50 a few years ago. It said it needed a new motor but when my husband took it apart, it only needed a good cleaning, grease and a new gear. The same day I saw another broken one for $10 and am still mad I didn't pick that one up too!

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:09pm
post #21 of 27

cutthecake. It really does take time and patience. You might hit 5 yardsales and find ONE good buy. Usually worth it too. I think it's fun! I love treasure hunting.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 6:24pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty122000

I'm getting ready to set up a display booth and needed some pedestals, I'm very happy with what I got!

Ok........I'm jealous!!!!!!! Nah, that is SOME find there kitty!!!!!!!!!!!
And win.......FABULOUS find on the KA for $20!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 7:51pm
post #23 of 27

Woah!!! That is a great deal, I sold my 4 1/2 qt. KA with no attachments at our garage sale for $75!!!

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:11pm
post #24 of 27

Lucky dog!! icon_eek.gif

Win Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanscakecreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty122000

Ok........I'm jealous!!!!!!! Nah, that is SOME find there kitty!!!!!!!!!!!
And win.......FABULOUS find on the KA for $20!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Awesome pedestals!

I was shopping at Kohl's last week and decided I'd check out how much just the attachments were.... ON SALE each set was 59.95! I got TWO sets of attachments (the pasta/food grinder and the slicers) thrown in with the KA! I also found a set of electric knife blades at the bottom of the box. They just so happened to fit my electric knife, so now I also have spare blades for that. It was a good day, that day.

And, yes, to the person who posted about patience and having to go to more than one sale to find the good stuff. It's been a really hot summer here so yard sales have been few and far between. Hitting two good weekends in a row was a rarity this year!

Happy Hunting, everyone!

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #26 of 27

The first thing I would like to say to you is congratulations, that is one heck of a find!! The second is that until your post, it never even occurred to me to get the pasta attachment for fondant. I am SOOOOOOOOO excited!

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:10am
post #27 of 27

My DH loves yard saling. A few weeks ago he came home with an old Fostoria square cake stand from the 50s with a rum well in the center. It is beautiful. The lady that had it had it turned upside down on the table and told him it was a chip and dip bowl. lol
He picked it up for $10. I was so thrilled when he brought it home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%