Circles On This Cake?

Decorating By blessedist Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm by millermom

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 8

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Your-Feelings-Ring-True

I am using this technique in September for a 60th birthday cake. The instructions call for color flow for the ovals but I want this cake to be as sturdy as possible and I think that if 1 oval cracks it will create the domino affect. I was thinking maybe gumpaste or a 50/50 mix (gp and fondant) for the ovals and attaching with royal? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If I use the color flow, won't the circles crack easily? I've never worked with color flow before icon_redface.gif

7 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8

Excellent cake icon_smile.gif Sorry i cant give you an answer on the colour flow, But i think it would look better than gumpaste as its got that curved look to it, Rather than flat ykwim?

blessedist Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah, I was thinkng that too about the colorflow b/c it's shinier and I know it would have that dimensional look but I just feel like since they are all attached, if 1 cracks, I'll be in trouble trying to fix that 1 and may end up cracking another

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 8

I understand what Caths_Cakes means about the curved look you can get from colorflow sort of like a softer edge. However, I dont think the flat edges youd get from gp or a gp/f mix would look bad. Just my opinion As with any cake, it comes down to attention to detail and how well you can execute the plan.

BTW its a really pretty cake. Cant wait to see it when you post the pic(s)!

~diem

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 8

You are correct color flow is fragile but not as bad as you think, whenever I am using them I make extras just in case and usually end up with spares.

blessedist Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks you all!! I may do a small test cake and try both techniques and see which one I'm more comfortable with. The colors are navy and silver so I was going to dust some of the circles (probably smaller ones) in silver luster and instead of the flowers pictured, do some royal lilies and roses in different shades of blues and whites. The vision in my head is great! Hope it comes out the same icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 8

Do you have oval cutters? If not, this could be a big headache to cut out by hand.

If you do have cutters and you'd like the rounded look as opposed to the 'cut' look, cover your rolled out gumpaste with plastic wrap, then push the cutter down over the plastic.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

Thanks you all!! I may do a small test cake and try both techniques and see which one I'm more comfortable with.

Remember to drive the test cake around and see how the vibrations of the car affect them too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%