Is Using A Cake Cricut Cheating?

Lounge By NatD Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 6:17am by NatD

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:00am
post #1 of 72

I am not meaning this post in any negative way for anyone who uses the cricut....just curious if I am the only who feels a little weird about using it to do damask or flourish designs or any design for that matter and passing it off as my own

I know it saves a ton of time but call me crazy I like knowing that everything I put on my cake is something I've been able to do....i dont know..just curious to see how other people felt... icon_smile.gif

71 replies
Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:25am
post #2 of 72

In my opinion it is not cheating...It is just making cake decorating easier...

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:47am
post #3 of 72

I don't think it is cheating either. It is just a different way to cut things out. You still have to get the cut-outs to the cake and arrange them. By the way, has anyone had really good success cutting out the complex designs?

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:48am
post #4 of 72

I dont think its cheating, its like useing a stencil or cutters.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:15am
post #5 of 72

Hi Nat, I dont think it is either. I just got mine and love it. Only got to play with it a little bit yesterday. I think the best part of it is the fonts, since I cant pipe writing on a cake very well, this is really going to help me out.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:49am
post #6 of 72

It depends. If you're of the camp where using cutters or molds is cheating, then enough said. As for myself, no matter what you tools, you still have to design the cake. As for myself, I would not give up my tools that help me to create a great looking final product efficiently!

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:50am
post #7 of 72

There is a little part of me that feels like it's cheating for some things.

For example damask, no it's not cheating. The only way really to get that effect is cricut or stencils.

But there is something about a cake that looks like a scrapbook page that just doesn't sit right with me. I can't really pin it down.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:55am
post #8 of 72

There are a lot of decorators that may see it as cheating, but in my opinion, it is just another tool to aide us. I absolutely love mine and with carpel tunnel my piping is not consistent any more. One way you can compare a cricut is like it is thousand cutters, except you press a button, instead of pressing metal cutter, or using a silicone lace mold. There will always be new and better ways of doing things - this is just the latest tool. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:58am
post #9 of 72

warning: rant coming on....... tapedshut.gif

I am sick of the word "cheating" being used in how-to-make-a-cake conversations. Cheating is the act of doing something that is wrong .... cheating on taxes, copying your neighbors test answers in school, having an ace up your sleeve in a card game.

I can't think of one thing involved in making a cake that is illegal or immoral. Using a cake mix instead of baking from scratch is not cheating; using fondant in a mold instead of piping the design in buttercream is not cheating; using letter cut outs instead of hand-cutting each letter is not cheating. Using a machine to make a design easier instead of doing the whole design with an exacto knife is not cheating; using an edible image instead of drawing a picture of your graduating senior in icing is not cheating.

Is it cheating to use a washing machine instead of beating your clothes against a rock? Is it cheating to use a stove instead of cooking over an open fire? Is it cheating to drive your car to the grocery for a bag of frozen corn instead of riding yoru horse to your field of corn field to pick your own?

As women, we put too much stuff on our shoulders to start with that are under the 'guilt' category. Holy cow, it's making a cake! Why does it need implied that we should feel guilty or feel like we're "cheating" on any method that we use to make it look beautiful?

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 72

wow!!! I'm off to use a cake box mix right now without feeling guilty icon_biggrin.gif !

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 72

Indydebi, you are RIGHT about the "cheating"

Regarding my previous comment, maybe the reason I can't "pin it down" is simply because I don't prefer fondant decorated cakes.

So, as is usually the case, it comes down to preference, just like "box/scratch" and "crisco/butter"
icon_smile.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

As women, we put too much stuff on our shoulders to start with that are under the 'guilt' category. Holy cow, it's making a cake! Why does it need implied that we should feel guilty or feel like we're "cheating" on any method that we use to make it look beautiful?

Debi this is so true! I have to remind myself almost daily that I am not superwoman, nor do I have to be. I spend a lot of time working on cakes and the rest of my time taking care of the kids and exercising but I always feel like I'm not doing enough. My house isn't clean enough, I didn't have time to cook dinner, I didn't spend enough time with the kids, etc. My mother in law paid for a house cleaner for the first six months after my third child was born, and I felt like that was cheating. I figured I am a stay at home mom, why can't I clean the house myself? Now my first goal if I can ever get a business going is to afford to pay a house cleaner. That would lift a big weight off of my shoulders. I digress..

To the op: I totally understand. I also feel the need to make everything on the cake by hand. But I am starting to realize that there are tools out there that help make the job easier. I don't think its any different than using a stencil or a mold. I don't have a cricut, but if someone gave me one I would definitely use it!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 72
Quote:

Is it cheating to use a washing machine instead of beating your clothes against a rock? Is it cheating to use a stove instead of cooking over an open fire? Is it cheating to drive your car to the grocery for a bag of frozen corn instead of riding yoru horse to your field of corn field to pick your own?

---ok--- jussssssst haaaaave toooo assk ----

what? don't want the stress relief of beating on rocks?

what? don't like that "smokey" flavor -- or prefer to get yours out of a bottle?

what? don't like a well fertilized lawn and corn as fresh as fresh could be? -- tho' -- What? want to cheat by using a horse instead of using your already in place own legs -- need that exercise!!!

-------

all JOKING aside --

agree it is NOT cheating.

The concept of TOOLS is they just keep getting better and better (and more expensive and more draining on the wallet and just piling up until you almost need to build a room addition just to hold the tools and of course there's always that new one you just HAVE to have and....)

BUT --

no matter what tool, it still comes down to the TALENT of the person using the tool.

could be a Sistine Chapel ceiling, a statue of David or it could be a total mess.

A tool used without talent is worthless.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 72

[quote="flamingobaker"]

For example damask, no it's not cheating. The only way really to get that effect is or stencils.

.[/quote]

Not the only way to do Damask. I do Damask with cutters. Lots of them.

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Oh, I am *SO* framing this one!!!

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #16 of 72
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Oh, I am *SO* framing this one!!!

I think I will paraphrase that to say:
"A cake toy without talent is worthless."

and I think I'll use my cricut to mkae a plaque with that phrase to hang in my cake kitchen. icon_biggrin.gif

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #17 of 72

Well said Indydebi, I totally agree with you!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #18 of 72

Would this be too long to use as a signature indy?? (and I love the tool/talent one from you too Doug!!) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

warning: rant coming on.......

I am sick of the word "cheating" being used in how-to-make-a-cake conversations. Cheating is the act of doing something that is wrong .... cheating on taxes, copying your neighbors test answers in school, having an ace up your sleeve in a card game.

I can't think of one thing involved in making a cake that is illegal or immoral. Using a cake mix instead of baking from scratch is not cheating; using fondant in a mold instead of piping the design in buttercream is not cheating; using letter cut outs instead of hand-cutting each letter is not cheating. Using a machine to make a design easier instead of doing the whole design with an exacto knife is not cheating; using an edible image instead of drawing a picture of your graduating senior in icing is not cheating.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #19 of 72

I suppose long ago when message boards were message scrolls, there was a question if using the new ground flour found at the local market was cheating since the person making the bread wasnt taking a stone and grinding it themselves.

It's all an evolution as I see it. You have got to still have the creative talent and eye for what will and won't work. I could fill my room with every advanced surgical tool known to man and trust me you woudln't want me operating on you! icon_lol.gif

Now, if you go buy yourself one of these, I might raise an eyebrow...

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:57pm
post #20 of 72

Is it cheating to torte your cakes with an agbay? Is it cheating to use a Kitchenaid? Is it cheating to use a stencil or cutter rather than freehand your damask with a knife?

Seriously, this isn't an 18th century classical decorating trial before the king's court. This is modern day cake decorating. There's room for those that eschew tools that simplify the process, and there's room for those that are more interested in the result than the art of the process.

But I think it's ridiculous to think that the tool-free method is the bar that anyone should strive for in a modern business as being the only true pure way...unless that's what they want.

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

But I think it's ridiculous to think that the tool-free method is the bar that anyone should strive for in a modern business as being the only true pure way...unless that's what they want.

Having a woodworker husband, the same thing exists in wood-world. Does the wood artist cut his own dove-tails or does he use a dove tail tool! Tool? Scandalous!! icon_surprised.gif Does he sand the wood down by hand using a piece of sand paper? Or does he use an electric sander? Mortifying!!! icon_eek.gif

amazing. freaking amazing. icon_confused.gif

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #22 of 72

Oh my word. kansaslaura, I did not anything like that existed. Holy Cow!!! icon_eek.gif I always wondered how the pre-decorated frozen cakes we use to get in at the store I use to work for were done. Now I know. icon_lol.gif HA!

I would LOVE to have a cake circut, I have a regualar circut that I bought to attempt just fondant/gum paste lettering, because my writing on cake sucks! And I have really nice handwriting, just can't do it on cakes. So no I do not think it is "cheating" in my case it would be to inhance my abilities, to hopefully perfect that which is not perfect.

I can't imagine not having a vacuum cleaner, or a mop, can't see myself on the floor scrubbing with a rag or swishing around a straw broom.

Hip hip hurray for creativity and ingenuity! thumbs_up.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:30pm
post #23 of 72

It's not cheating at all. icon_smile.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:52pm
post #24 of 72

It's not cheating.

New technologies have always been designed to give us an edge over the competition.

Kind of like microscopic surgery. As a patient, I appreciate the small, precise, unintrusive cut that can be achieved through the surgical robot. However, if the machine breaks while I'm on the table, I hope the surgeon can use his own steady hands and knowledge to complete the procedure and not kill me!

In that same way, I think it's important to nail down the basics of cake decorating or any craft before you begin to rely heavily on machines because you never know when the pressure will be on and your reputation will be on the line.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:02pm
post #25 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

[...I have to remind myself almost daily that I am not superwoman, nor do I have to be. I spend a lot of time working on cakes and the rest of my time taking care of the kids and exercising but I always feel like I'm not doing enough. My house isn't clean enough...

Agree! A thousand years from now, when we're all dead and gone, we aren't going to be judged by how clean our house was or wasn't.

Spend your time with family and doing those things that you enjoy in life (using tools to make "the job" easier is an advantage even if it takes some of the creativity out of it).

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #26 of 72

I hope I don't offend or start something but....as just a 'bake-for-family' hobbyist I have felt 'negative' toward the beautiful Circut cakes being posted, but I that it's not 'cheating.' My problem is that I feel it's 'elitist' in a way because of its price. it's not the finest bakeries using a circut, it's 'suburban sue' who doesn't know how to decorate a cake, but her new toy makes it easy and beautiful. the cakes are easily identifiable by their sameness and 'whimsical font'.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:10pm
post #27 of 72

Cricut (cake or otherwise) is nothing more than a glorified exacto knife. If you don't have the talent to DESIGN the cake...having a machine that cuts things faster won't help you. NO. It is not cheating anymore than using a sheeter instead of hand rolling your fondant is!

erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #28 of 72

My thought is...

WHO CARES?

If a customer wants that look, I will sell it to them! It doesn't matter how it got on the cake.

I am primarily a scratch baker, but have had customers that want that box-mix taste, so I will make them a box-mix cake! No problem!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:30pm
post #29 of 72

Many of the cake decorators that are featured on the new wave of cake shows have started as "suburban sues". Everyone has to start somewhere. Besides this thing is an electronic cutter. It is the same as a flower cutter except that it is plugged in. If flower cutters are cheating, then Ron Ben-Israel is a cheater and not one of the best cake designers/decorators in the world! icon_wink.gif In addition there are professionals who use these things. I can't justify the cost of this for myself, but I think if people are using them and are happy with the result, then more power to them. No labels, no judgements. After all, at the end of the day, it's cake!

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:38pm
post #30 of 72

LMAO! I love all the posts. I truly enjoy this site. So glad I found it. You are all AWESOME.

Here's my contribution to this topic: My husband is a magician. At least that's his hobby. He has shown me how to do many of his tricks. I have access to all his props and instructions. However, I COULDN'T FOOL YOU WITH A SINGLE ONE IF YOU OFFERED TO PAY ME ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD!!! LOL!

Some of my most simple and easy designs are the ones people ooh and aah over most. So funny.

And by the way, if there was a way to CHEAT, then this whole website is one big CHEAT! I get so much inspiration and motivation from this site, looking at my fellow cake maker's ideas, designs and talent. You're all so generous and I love putting my own creative twist to ideas that didn't come straight from my head.

It's called inspiration not cheating icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%