Pet Peeves On Cc

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 28 Nov 2010 , 7:07pm by KathysCC

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 351

my biggest complaint is about the posts that have no punctuation no capitalization and undecipherable spelling sometimes im not sure what im reading because i cant figure it out if you get my meaning i know that everyone makes mistakes (grammatical spelling punctuation) but some posts are written in a way that makes reading them impossible

350 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 351

I think it because this is so much like email and texting. Both of which sometimes drive me nuts. I believe that most of the time here the poster is so excited and in a hurry to get out what is on his/her mind that proofing what he/she has written gets over looked. I am guilty myself. icon_redface.gif Sorry that this has given you a headache. I for one will try to be better in the future.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 351

Dont forget NOT hitting the return key once in awhile to avoid BIG long paragraphs that are just impossible to read!

My peeve is subject lines. Incomplete and vague subject lines. Especially the "dot-dot-dot" lines. You know, those lines that list a partial question and conclude with 3 dots at the end instead of finishing the question?

Some of the actual ones I've seen that just make me shudder are:

- "Cakes" (no kidding. what do you think this site is about?)
- "Icing" (no kidding . what do you thnk this site is about?)

- Any variation of "Do you know ...." / "Does anyone know ..... " / "Has anyone tried...." (I always want to respond to "Does anyone know.....?" with ".....how to finish a sentence?"

- "How long do you think ......?" (I ALWAYS think.)

- "Can I" (finish a sentence?)

- "I was asked to....." (finish a sentence but didn't have the extra quarter for the rest of the words I needed to use)

- "Please help me find ....." (a way to finish a sentence so people will know what I'm looking for)

And the one that sends me into a tizzy: "Quick Question!!!" Yeah, it's quick for you to type but that doesn't mean it will have a quick question!! This one always ticked me off when I worked in an office, too. It's quick to ASK it, but you've no idea how long it will take to ANSWER it.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 351

idk what u r talkn bout ctc! icon_razz.gif

Indy you're hilarious!

My excuse for typing poorly on the forum- The only time I can sit down and get online (15 month old and 2 1/2 month old) is when I'm feeding the baby, so I'm only using one hand to type! Excuses excuses I know! icon_smile.gif

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

my biggest complaint is about the posts that have no punctuation no capitalization and undecipherable spelling sometimes im not sure what im reading because i cant figure it out if you get my meaning i know that everyone makes mistakes (grammatical spelling punctuation) but some posts are written in a way that makes reading them impossible

funny that you're typing this because you forgot to capitalize your I!! before you critize someone else make sure what you are typing is perfect.

Remember too that not everyone is from an English speaking country on here.

cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 351

That's called irony or sarcasm (or whatever), and it was done deliberately to make a point. I also didn't punctuate for the same reason.

Hey, Doug, my sarcasm didn't translate to the written word again.

I do realize that English is not the first language of all posters. But I also know that many, if not all, languages (including English, Spanish, Italian, German and French) use some type of punctuation, which makes reading easier. (I am only familiar with languages that use the "American" alphabet. For all I know Sanskrit is supposed to be written in run-on sentences.)

Some people write paragraphs in one endless sentence, as Debi said, which is difficult to interpret. I can only guess that all written languages have a way to separate thoughts.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 351
Quote:

Thank you for giving me the laugh of the day, icon_lol.gif and I completely agree. English is not my first language and though I pride myself on being fairly good at it, once in a while there are posts here on CC that I just can't read because I can make no sense of it! icon_confused.gif

Indydebi, I wish you would give those replies icon_cool.gif I'd like to see the poster's reactions, and it might make them think when they post next time.

Happy Sunday all icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 351

lomfise,
Thanks! Your English is fine; and I love your Eeyore!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 351
Quote:

That's called irony or sarcasm or whatever, and it was done deliberately to make a point. I also didn't punctuate.
Hey, Doug, my sarcasm didn't translate to the written word again.

I almost fell for it too, until I noticed that your other posts weren't run-on sentences without punctuation!

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 351

My biggest pet peeve is when someone posts a picture of a cake and demands a tutorial on how to make it. Especially when they say something along the lines of, "I have no idea how to do this, I'm a beginner, someone give me a step-by-step photo-laden tutorial now."

Obviously, we all want to help each other, but some of the requests are just overly demanding! Not everyone has a tutorial to whip out for every cake.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 351

My biggest pet peeve is posts like these complaining about other posts, how people post and complaining about people posts whose opinions you dont agree with.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 351

Geeze, sounds like road rage on CC. Bigger problems in life. I for one, have a lap top that is hard for me to type on, but great to sit and surf and learn on. So i'll keep on doing and enjoying what I'm doing, and if it bothers anyone else ... (lol) i guess that's thier problem. I'll just worry about me.
God Bless

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 351

As a journalist, I am anal about appropriate use of the written word. Although, I try to be as accurate as humanly possible; I realize that it's not everyone's strength and as long as a point can be made, and questions can be answered; we're all here to help one another. Heck, "Fondant" is not my strong suit, but I don't need anyone to remind me of that.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Dont forget NOT hitting the return key once in awhile to avoid BIG long paragraphs that are just impossible to read!

My peeve is subject lines. Incomplete and vague subject lines. Especially the "dot-dot-dot" lines. You know, those lines that list a partial question and conclude with 3 dots at the end instead of finishing the question?

Some of the actual ones I've seen that just make me shudder are:

- "Cakes" (no kidding. what do you think this site is about?)
- "Icing" (no kidding . what do you thnk this site is about?)

- Any variation of "Do you know ...." / "Does anyone know ..... " / "Has anyone tried...." (I always want to respond to "Does anyone know.....?" with ".....how to finish a sentence?"

- "How long do you think ......?" (I ALWAYS think.)

- "Can I" (finish a sentence?)

- "I was asked to....." (finish a sentence but didn't have the extra quarter for the rest of the words I needed to use)

- "Please help me find ....." (a way to finish a sentence so people will know what I'm looking for)

And the one that sends me into a tizzy: "Quick Question!!!" Yeah, it's quick for you to type but that doesn't mean it will have a quick question!! This one always ticked me off when I worked in an office, too. It's quick to ASK it, but you've no idea how long it will take to ANSWER it.

In defence of some of the above mentioned, but not all of course. I found when I first joined CC and asked questions in the subject line, not all my sentence /question could be completed as there is a limit of so many words you can type before being cut off. The rest of the question had to be continued in the message body.

Soooo.. Maybe thats part of the reason there is lots of, "Please help me find...." instead of, "Please help me find the 3D elephant cake picture that I saw somewhere here last Friday that someone named Mary Jane I think that was her name made". icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 351

Oh please folks! This is all in fun and it's no different than when we vent about silly email requests for cakes we get or funny things that peeve us off from customers! If there's a list of things we're not allowed to have fun with, then I need to see the list so I dont' become a violator! icon_biggrin.gif

Dont get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ---Kathryn Carpenter

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #16 of 351

lol@ cakeconfections icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 351

No road rage. Just pet peeves.
Writing should be easy for the reader to read. If a poster asks a question that cannot be interpreted, he/she may not a get the correct answer, or even any answer at all.

Let's hear from all the teachers on CC!

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 351

My pet peeve is people that repost their pictures. After it goes off the most saved in 24 hours their just post it again! There seems to be more and more of this lately.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 351

I love the posts that go on about disasters.. cake fell when I sneezed ..why do you think my cake looked like that??-kid shouted and my roses fell off, cake tasted like doggy duty--icing seperated and I don't know what I did..

Then offer NO recipe, no picture like we're supposed to be Carnac the Magnificent and hold our laptop to our head and get the message from the great beyond.

cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #20 of 351

Carnac the Magnificent............there's a blast from the past. I sure miss Johnny Carson.
Are "messages from the great beyond" like those voices in my head?
Thanks for the memories.

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #21 of 351

Soon to be teacher chiming back in here! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Soooo.. Maybe thats part of the reason there is lots of, "Please help me find...." instead of, "Please help me find the 3D elephant cake picture that I saw somewhere here last Friday that someone named Mary Jane I think that was her name made". icon_razz.gif

"Looking for 3D elephant cake" will fit. icon_rolleyes.gif

One of the "I was asked to ......" threads was about making a huge amount of cookies. It's easily converted to "Need tips on making 1500 cookies" instead of "I was asked to ......."

The "Please help me find....." could easily have been "Looking for shoe box cake instructions"

This is not a peeve about literary talent ..... it's about clearly asking for the information that is needed. If the subj is "Need gumpaste help", then I won't pop in because I know nothing about gumpaste, but a subj line of "I need help on ....... " will generate lots of views and no help. Then the OP comes back complaining about "lots of lookers but no help?" Well, DUH!

If they had made the request clearer, the person who has the answer would be better able to go into the thread and help, instead of a lot of people popping in and thinking, "Oh ... I can't help with that" and the OP getting frustrated and thinking "no one wants to help me".

I am confident many CC'ers will back up this theory because I've seen threadds addressing this very issue ... OP's who can't understand why no one is answering their vague request.

vague subject lines ..... no punctuation ...... not hitting the return once in awhile so the big paragraph is easily readable. None of these things really have anything to do with English as a 2nd language or shortage of space.

But these are the very situations that cuase help not to be given because it's too hard to decipher lack of commas and periods; too difficult to read long run on paragraphs, or threads that are just missed because the subject line is very very vague. And then the OP leaves here thinking we're not helpful to him/her.

ANd that's just not the case.

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #22 of 351

Debi, I don't even open a post with a vague subject line. I figure I've got limited time and if it's about something I know nothing about why waste my time. It's to the OP's benefit to clearly state the subject of the thread.

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #23 of 351

Kansas, I'm with you. I was thinking seriously of doing a thread with a subject line of "I will no longer open threads ...... " and then a message of "...... that don't have complete subject lines" but I figured not many would catch the irony! icon_lol.gif

On a VERY serious note, with going to school full time during the day and working practically full time at night, plus the other irons I have in the fire, I just don't have time to pop into vague threads anymore.

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #24 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Dont get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ---Kathryn Carpenter

Second laugh of the day icon_lol.gif

And now if you'll excuse me, it has just started to rain after a week of 32 degrees celcius (90 F) so I'm going out to dance naked in the rain...

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:21pm
post #25 of 351

OMGosh...cutthecake and debi, you girls are killing me - thanks for some badly needed sarcasm! icon_razz.gif

My pet peeve is "Can you tell me...
how to make this cake (pic attached). I've been asked to make this cake for a wedding this week. " How many people do you think it served? Will I need to stack it at the place? And do any of you have a really good buttercream recipe that I can try?"

icon_confused.gif I mean, seriously...

cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #26 of 351

iamcakin,
Don't forget the part that says, "This will be my first wedding cake, and I have to bake it on an open fire."
lomfise,
Happy dancing in the rain!
kansaslaura,
Don't you miss Erma Bombeck? Her humor was wonderful and "relatable"!

kansaslaura Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #27 of 351

Ok...here's one!!

The ever popular..... What would YOU charge for this cake??

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #28 of 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

And do any of you have a really good buttercream recipe that I can try?"

icon_confused.gif I mean, seriously...

Oh I have to disagree on that one iamcakin. I love coming across other decorators recipes for buttercream. Glazes, ganache's and filling too. Its a never ending learning process for me.
I used to think at one time I had the best buttercream ever, but after getting hints of adding this or that I hadn't thought of, from recipes I find here & elsewhere, its made my recipe/s even better. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #29 of 351

To add a note of positive-ness to this thread, I LUV threads that include the word "rant" in the title! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #30 of 351

Rants are good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%