Are You A Cake Snob?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:31am by catlharper

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:25pm
post #31 of 70

My fiace and i just read this post and he said "I will buy you a shirt!!! That way when you stare funny at peoples cakes they can look at your shirt and realize your not being rude youre just a cake snob. " Gotta love him!! But seriously i want a shirt lol

homeslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homeslice Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #32 of 70

LOL, my husband tells me this all the time! I critique cakes everywhere we go - the taste, the decorating, you name it. I have a list of top 10 cakes in my head (the first being my wedding cake - the absolute best I've ever had, including mine!), then the rest are either mine or my mom's! All else are compared to those. I find that most wedding cakes are too dry and "pound cakey" tasting to me, and most store bought cakes have that heavy Crisco-ey icing. We have a number of really expensive bakeries here in town, and I am not impressed with any of them. So, CAKE SNOB here! thumbs_up.gif

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #33 of 70

I recently donated a bunch of cupcakes to a parish dinner and cakewalk. I came out of the restroom to find my entire family eating my cupcakes. They actually purchased my cuppies. Then my 4 year old son spent a fortune trying to win my cuppies in the cakewalk! I had more at home goofball!!!

My entire extended family has become major cake snobs. My SIL loves Starbucks, who recently started selling cupcakes. She and my niece each got a $4 red velvet cupcake, took one bite, and threw it away. My niece told me that no one makes red velvet right except for me! icon_smile.gif Love her!

I used to be the "give me the corner piece with all the border and roses" person at showers/parties. I loved that crappy Sam's/Costco icing until I made buttercream with real butter in it! Now I don't waste the calories unless it's something wonderful!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #34 of 70

Absolutely, I'm a cake snob. I try to be inconspicuous at parties and weddings when I'm checking them out, but my hubby, well Mr. Snob himself is not shy about checking out the cake up close and telling me what he thinks. The funniest part is that if you knew him, you would never think he is the kind that would be checking out cakes.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Absolutely, I'm a cake snob. I try to be inconspicuous at parties and weddings when I'm checking them out, but my hubby, well Mr. Snob himself is not shy about checking out the cake up close and telling me what he thinks. The funniest part is that if you knew him, you would never think he is the kind that would be checking out cakes.

My husband is the same way. He will even tell whoever will listen, "my wife's cakes KILL this cake!" He's drummed up lots of orders for me, just by being so outspoken. I just shake my head at people who consider their special event cake a last minute priority, as if the cake isn't that important. Then they get a cake that's horrible.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #36 of 70

My sister and I have been self-proclaimed "cake snobs" since we were kids!! icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #37 of 70

Ok, sounds like Heath and Jackie need to make these shirts with CAKE SNOB on the front and CAKE CENTRAL on the back! Make them in all sizes up to, say, a 3X and sell them on here. They'd make a killing!

DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Ok, sounds like Heath and Jackie need to make these shirts with CAKE SNOB on the front and CAKE CENTRAL on the back! Make them in all sizes up to, say, a 3X and sell them on here. They'd make a killing!

TOTALLY AGREE. I want one....pink/brown would be cute...blue/brown for the men hanging out on here and/or hubbies.

DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #39 of 70

....and my biggest pet peeve is assuming that you only need a SMALL cake at a special event. HUH!!! I'm going to eat two pieces if it's good, so please have enough for everybody else....DUH! People should be wrapping up cake to take home after the event is over! Everyone will wish they had one more piece later on.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #40 of 70

I had someone tell me the other day that THEY were a CAKE SNOB, and that they pass up eating grocery store cakes because they aren't worth wasting the calories on. Not knowing who made the birthday cake she ate until afterwards, she said she mistook my cake for a local monopoly bakery, and said it was the best chocolate cake she ever ate. Re: the shirt, SOMEBODY MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #41 of 70

Cake snob here!
I refuse to eat "store bought" dessert (cake, cc, cookies). Why waste the calories? My DH & I always use the excuse that we've ate so much cake @ home, we're sick of it.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:16pm
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twogrlz

I too am a cake snob. I was just thinking the other day that I used to LIKE Costco cake....YUCK!!! I had to eat some the other day at work, since it was bought for me.....YUCK!!!! I could hardly swallow it. I was just thinking "Hello, you all know I make cakes, and you got me a Costco cake??" But I was gracious and thanked them all, then politely excused myself to the restroom where I rinsed my mouth out.

My husband is worse. He comes home after every event and says that the cake was awful, and has even developed the pallet to tell what is wrong with it. It's kinda funny. icon_smile.gif

But the kids, wow they are the worse. At aged 3 and 5 they will not eat a cake that doesn't taste good to me. The youngest just spits it out and says "YUCK" wiping off her tongue. While the 5 year old has developed some gracefulness, as she quietly walks over to me and says "Momma, I just don't like this cake. Do I have to eat it?" making sure she looked around so no one saw her.

So yes, let's all unite and get our "Cake Snob" shirts together!!!!

My job is the same way. They know I bake cakes but they are too cheap to order for events so they go to Costco. If I just happen to bring in cakes just for the office they go crazy over them, but will not place an order to save there lives. I have stopped bringing cake in all together. I refuse to be PIMPED for cake by cheap skates. They can have that Costco cake! YUCK! I dont even participate in the offcie birthday celebration because when I see the cake I can't control the disgusted look I have on my face & I don't want to offend anyone that actually likes Costco cake. It just amazes me that they think its good cake. Oh, and sign me up for a shirt.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #43 of 70

I found a cupcake snob apron! I am sure that they have shirts out there with cake snob.

http://www.cafepress.com/+cupcake_bbq_apron,127623069

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #44 of 70
sweettooth88 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:40pm
post #45 of 70

Check out this shirt i made really quick

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:46pm
post #46 of 70

well, it would do if we can't talk Heath and Jackie into making them! LOL! If I were designing them I'd make them something like baseball shirts...pink with brown sleeves maybe or blue with brown sleeves? "CAKE" in bold printing with "Snob" in script...then the Cake Central Logo on the back...

You know there are t'shirt places where you can print up your own shirts, choose the colors, print styles all that (many brides do it for their bridesmaids). But then we couldn't get the Cake Central logo on the back...SIGH.

Cat

cakeorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeorate Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #47 of 70

lol, this is such a fun thread to read through!

I guess I turned my family into a cake snob too... My husband refuses to eat cakes from grocery stores and cake mix (he says he can taste the cake mix powder)... I don't really mind eating grocery store cakes, but would rather eat my cakes... My husband loves to taste test and critique cakes as though he is an expert baker himself! lol

That pink and brown cake snob shirt is cute.

sweettooth88 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #48 of 70

That is so funny I was just looking at the baseball tshirts and thinking the same thing. Oh i hope cake central will make these!!!

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #49 of 70

This is so funny! I used that exact phrase just last week....

We had a picnic at work, and I offered to make the cake, but they said they had already ordered one from the commissary. So, when the time came, I dutifully took a piece. When my friend asked how it was, I wrinkled my nose and said "It's grocery store cake"..., She laughed and I said, "I know, I'm such a cake snob!"

LOL!!!!

And I want one of those shirts!

abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #50 of 70

I am most definitely a cake snob....well let's be honest, I'm just an all out food snob! I would love to rock a "cake snob" t-shirt!!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #51 of 70

I guess I am sorta. I don't mind eating the grocery store cakes but do prefer mine since the icing is homemade. I love buttercream icing!!!

But, I think I have created quite a few cake snobs in the family. My husband and my 3 kids just prefer my cakes over store bought cakes. My son is always trying to steal the icing when I am making it. And, at any party where there is a cake. He always tells me my cakes taste much better!! And, he won't eat it if it's NOT good. He is very picky!

My niece whom has 6 kids has declared me her official cake decorator for her kids birthdays. She won't go to anyone else! lol At least, that gives me 6 cakes per year just for her family. lol But, I certainly don't mind. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif And, she is always promoting my work. I'm still a bit of a newbie and still learning. Thanks to my niece I believe I will have people in our church start coming to me for cakes now. I love it!! icon_smile.gif

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #52 of 70

This post really took off! I am really bad, at these wedding I work with her I critique the cake! The wedding this weekend it was HOT and the cake got a bubble. She was like did u see the bubble on the cake? I went and looked at it and explained why it happened she just said wow that makes sense.

My kids and hubby are cake snobs too, the only other cake we eat are Publix but even theirs aren't as good anymore.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #53 of 70

I dropped my 5 year old son off at a birthday party last week. When I picked him up, he said right in front of birthday boy's mom: "She should have gotten the cake from you, Mommy ... yours are awesome." I was soooo embarrassed ... but proud of my little boy just the same icon_wink.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #54 of 70

Hi, my name is Sandy and I'm a Cake Snob. This is a support group, isn't it?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #55 of 70

It needs a byline. I didn't care for Cafepress shirt-too plain. I like the other poster's design as a starting point, though.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #56 of 70

I am now - at least since I started decorating on a regular basis. I applaud anyone who puts the effort into baking and decorating a cake. On the other hand, it just seems WRONG to celebrate a special occasion with a tasteless Costco or Sam's Club cake. As much as I love cake, I have a hard time eating some of these. So, yes, I guess I'm a Cake Snob :>)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #57 of 70

I am a DESSERT snob, not just a cake snob. I love desserts/sweet stuff so it really stresses me out when I go out someplace to eat and order dessert. I just know it will likely not impress me, and 9 times out of 10 I kick myself for even ordering anything. Guess I just keep ordering because I am waiting for that elusive time when someone knocks my socks off with dessert!

Sarahweezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahweezie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:22pm
post #58 of 70

I've always thought grocery store cakes were nasty. The cookies are nastier! I just started decorating cakes and I LOVE it!!! Its so much fun. I've only used boxed cakes, but I think after this thread, I might bake from scratch this time!!! I will say, though, my wedding cake was done by pros and it was awful! bland and terribly dry. One thing I do hate about my cakes is the Wilton fondant, but I'm a vegetarian, so I don't want to make fondant using gelatin. I've heard Satin Ice tastes a little better. Anyone have any suggestion for the picky-vegetarian-wilton-fondant-hater???

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #59 of 70

Here's my philosophy: If I have to eat something that tastes bad, it sure as heck better be good for me! I'll eat the brussels sprouts and raddichio if I have to. But eat a DESSERT that tastes bad????!!! C'mon!! Dessert is what makes life worth living! So, yeah. Snob all the way.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:49pm
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I am a cake snob disguised as a research detective. I'm still new enough that I just have to see and taste other people's cake so I can decipher how it was done, whether it's mix or scratch, is it level

LOL! You are my cake snob twin!!!
Let me add I want to know if it is dry or moist, good or bad, and anything I can ascertain. And I only take a couple of bites or so unless it is REALLY good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%